Re: She is more then me?

Started by Ikran Ahiyìk, December 15, 2010, 09:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 26, 2010, 02:51:25 AM
So far here, the word pum is being used to substitute for ikran in the second clause:  lu por ikran a win oeyä pumto lu Is there any reason you could not also write: lu por ikran a win oeyä ikranto lu?

No, but given na'vi's pro-drop nature, pumto is probably more natural.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 26, 2010, 02:51:25 AM
So far here, the word pum is being used to substitute for ikran in the second clause:  lu por ikran a win oeyä pumto lu Is there any reason you could not also write: lu por ikran a win oeyä ikranto lu?
It would be the difference between "His ikran is faster than mine" and "His ikran is faster than my ikran".  Both are correct, though the second would probably seem a bit out of place or stilted in casual conversation.
Quote from: Sireayä mokri on December 24, 2010, 08:48:30 AM
Using alu here seems a little bit better stylistically to me :)
Does the sentence "He is a faster runner than I am" seem odd for using the verb "be" twice?
Quote from: Ataeghane on December 24, 2010, 08:38:48 AM
What about lu por ikran awin oeyä pumto?
"He has a fast ikran than mine."
Grammar intentionally slightly wrong there, to illustrate how it would come across.  The meaning would probably be understandable with some thinking about it, but it would sound odd, and be grammatically wrong.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on December 26, 2010, 03:10:49 AM
Does the sentence "He is a faster runner than I am" seem odd for using the verb "be" twice?

I'm totally fine with two lus, just don't want to separate a and lu where I can put them together :) Stylistically it sound better to me :)
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on December 26, 2010, 08:58:02 AM
Quote from: omängum fra'uti on December 26, 2010, 03:10:49 AM

I'm totally fine with two lus, just don't want to separate a and lu where I can put them together :) Stylistically it sound better to me :)

Same for me as well :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

omängum fra'uti

Well there is no specific requirement that it must be in that order, but of course it is perfect fine to order it like that if you wish; just know others may do it different.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on December 26, 2010, 11:14:48 PM
just know others may do it different.

And that is great. Diversity of ways to say something is what makes the language more natural :)

Ataeghane

Is, then, English not natural?

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 27, 2010, 12:30:50 PM
Is, then, English not natural?

There's always only one way to say something in English?

Ataeghane

Of course, there isn't, but the word order is much less free than Na'vi's.

Sireayä mokri

I wasn't talking specifically about word order. Just in general, more different ways to say the same=better for Na'vi :)

Ataeghane

But there is shortage of vocabulary (synonyms). That is the problem.

Sireayä mokri

Yeah, agree. But I don't think it will be a problem the more language develops.

Ataeghane

It looks like language stopped developing (at least at the moment). No notes from Karyu, no Vocabulary Committee. If we wanted, we could invent tousands of words, then send it to Frommer and wait for his acceptation. But there is something I don't know that stops this process.

'Oma Tirea

I don't know either, but I'm pretty sure Na'vi doesn't want to have synonyms, at least not excessively.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Eyawng te Klltepayu

What about comparisons involving plurals? Could a sentence with 'ayngato nìwotx' in it be valid?
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

wm.annis

Quote from: Eyawng te Klltepayu on December 28, 2010, 04:37:25 AM
What about comparisons involving plurals? Could a sentence with 'ayngato nìwotx' in it be valid?

It seems fine semantically (i.e., in terms of meaning).  I can't imagine it being illegal.

Eyawng te Klltepayu

The only reason I thought it might be illegal is that searches for 'ayoeto' 'awngato' and 'ayngato' revealed nothing. Surely somebody must have used these before?
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Ataeghane

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on December 28, 2010, 01:15:44 AM
I don't know either, but I'm pretty sure Na'vi doesn't want to have synonyms, at least not excessively.

Why do you think so?