Skiva'a

Started by Esperanto, February 27, 2010, 01:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esperanto

It has been bugging me since I saw the movie and cannot pinpoint anywhere what the hell it means. What does Jake mean when he's shouting "Skiva'a"?

*attached pic below*
Lu Oeyä Ikranit ulte ayoe 'awsiteng mivakto.

Will Txankamuse

Sk<iv>a'a

Destroy[SUBJ]

so something like 'in order to destroy' or 'to destroy!'.  He's essentially just repeating the same word from the previous sentence for extra emphasis, where it makes more sense being combined with 'fte' (so that).

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

Pxasul 'eylan

Kaltxì,
so same kind of question just for a different word, all through the movie Tsu'tey keeps saying "Ibanko!" (i dont know how to spell it) i cant find out exactly what it means...

omängum fra'uti

I believe he's saying "Kivä ko"
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on February 28, 2010, 02:00:44 AM
I believe he's saying "Kivä ko"

I agree. I was wondering the same for a while, especially from seeing the movie 8 times.
Want to bring Na'Vi to X-Box live? Send a friend request to "SR Raptor 50" with the word Na'Vi attatched to it! I hope to have at least one friend who i can chat with in Na'Vi. Irayo, Ewya Ngahu. -Raptor

wm.annis

Quote from: Torukyä Tirea on April 01, 2010, 06:51:17 AM
No, they definitely say "Skiva'a". They also say in English "Will destroy". "Skiva'a" basicaly means "Will destroy" because it is the word "Ska'a" (destroy) with the "iv" infix, which expresses uncertainties/possibilities.

It does not really mean "will destroy."  The use of ‹iv› here is required by the grammar.  Here's the full sentence:

Sawtute zera'u fte fol Kelutralti skiva'a The skypeople are coming to destroy Hometree

This second clause, after fte ("(in order) to"), is a purpose clause, and a purpose clause introduced by fte must take the subjunctive.