Some/Any

Started by Nyx, February 14, 2010, 09:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyx

I just realised that I've overlooked something that I use a lot normally. So, here's the question: how would one say some and any (in the sense of somewhere, something, anyone and so on)? I know that "some" and "any" aren't in the dictionary, but is there a nice way to work around this?

Unil Akawng

I realise it's kinda clumsy, but it's the best I can currently think of:

somewhere = in a place unknown =  keomusuma tsengmì; the other "some-" words could be derived the same way (until someone comes up with a better alternative) :)
Tukruhu ne ayoeng zola'u a fkori tukrufa tìyerkup! - Александр Невский
На'ви-русский словарь v.2.09 для jMemorize

wm.annis

Quote from: Unil Akawng on February 14, 2010, 09:48:35 AMsomewhere = in a place unknown =  keomusuma tsengmì;

The ‹us› infix goes into what Frommer calls "pre-first" position.  So, usomum.  Also, this word means "knowing."  It's not a passive participle (which may or may not exist in Na'vi).

wm.annis

The only really good example of this sort of construction from Frommer is from some email from him to Prrton, where he says,

Ke fparmìl oel futa lu tute a tsun nì-Na'vi set fìfya pivlltxe!
I didn't think there was anyone who could speak Na'vi like that at this point!

Some other languages do something similar, with things like "there are times when" for "sometimes," etc.

Unil Akawng

Quote from: wm.annis on February 14, 2010, 10:09:52 AM
The ‹us› infix goes into what Frommer calls "pre-first" position.  So, usomum.  Also, this word means "knowing."  It's not a passive participle (which may or may not exist in Na'vi).

Ahh... You are quite right! I stand corrected, in this case.
Tukruhu ne ayoeng zola'u a fkori tukrufa tìyerkup! - Александр Невский
На'ви-русский словарь v.2.09 для jMemorize

Nyx