the simplest word.

Started by EPILEFMAN, December 22, 2009, 12:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EPILEFMAN

It is official, the easiest word in the Na'vi languange is toktor which means, well... doctor.

Tirealì'u

Some of the words are borrowed from English.

Kunsìp. Gunship.

wisnij

And for that matter, 'ìnglìsì "English".  :)
Wé cildra biddaþ þé, éalá láréow, þæt þú taéce ús sprecan rihte, forþám ungelaérede wé sindon, and gewæmmodlíce we sprecaþ.

omängum fra'uti

And here I thought the simplest word was a, but I'm starting to think it's tied with 'u, which while not in the vocabulary seems to mean thing.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Eywayä mokri

Quote from: Tiger on December 22, 2009, 03:52:20 AM
but I'm starting to think it's tied with 'u, which while not in the vocabulary seems to mean thing.

I have been looking around too for this 'u and it seems that you found it.
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Eywayä on December 22, 2009, 03:53:35 AM
Quote from: Tiger on December 22, 2009, 03:52:20 AM
but I'm starting to think it's tied with 'u, which while not in the vocabulary seems to mean thing.

I have been looking around too for this 'u and it seems that you found it.
It's all over the place tied to prefixes.
'upe/peu what thing
fi'u this thing
fra'u everything (Another undocumented bit of the language... fra- is a prefix for all it seems)
ke'u nothing (While ke IS listed as a word, I wonder if that's really a prefix ke- as well)

The last one is interesting in it's own right because kehe means no.  But if the prefix was actually ke+ (It's not or nothing would become keu) then kehe would literally be not-not.

Either way I'm starting to believe the vocabulary we have is largely just a composition of known meanings and not necessarily root words, or even inclusive of the root words which the meanings are built from.

EPILEFMAN

I meant the easiest word to remember due to english connections, but those are good as well!

Elysio

Hum...kunsìp and 'ìnglìsì are created words, the didn't exist before the humans came to Pandora, so it's natural the words look the same...

omängum fra'uti

Toktor is obviously a borrow from English as well...  But it seems to me it's the honorific sense (After all, the only doctor there we know of is Dr. Grace Augustine) and not so much the medic sense.  For medic, they probably have some word that equates to cure-person or heal-person or something like that, maybe fpon-tu (well-being person).