translation help

Started by hì'ia tuté, June 24, 2016, 03:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hì'ia tuté

I'm writing an Avatar fanfic and I need help on how Neytiri might say something in Na'vi.

In my story she sees Horse Clan members riding up to where she is and she needs to call them over to help her...

I'm not sure what she would say in Na'vi to get their attention and to call them over to her. Something that basically mean 'Hey, over here! I need your help, please.'

Also, is there a Na'vi word for 'Horse Clan'? The closest I could figure out (using the vocab list from this site) is nìolo'pa'li

Irayo! (Thanks!)

Tìtstewan

I guess, one could say something like "Ma frapo!" for calling another group or get their attention.

As for "Horse clan" I would use Olo' Pa'liyä / Pa'liyä Olo' or Pa'liolo'. Unfortunately, the actual Na'vi name of the Horse Clan is currently unknown.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Eana Unil

Maybe Na'viya for calling them/getting their attention... since she used that in the movie before  :-\ Mawey, Na'viya, mawey.

Na'viya! Srung sivi (oeru), rutxe. <- my attempt

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Both suggestions are appropriate. I would use Tìtstewan's in a situation like you are trying to get their attention or you are calling for help. Eana Unil's suggestion is a little more formal, like in a situation where the horse clan members already see you and you are addressing them in introduction.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 24, 2016, 03:32:04 PM
Both suggestions are appropriate. I would use Tìtstewan's in a situation like you are trying to get their attention or you are calling for help. Eana Unil's suggestion is a little more formal, like in a situation where the horse clan members already see you and you are addressing them in introduction.
I agree. Both suggesion looks interesting

Quote from: Tìtstewan on June 24, 2016, 07:24:13 AM
I guess, one could say something like "Ma frapo!" for calling another group or get their attention.

As for "Horse clan" I would use Olo' Pa'liyä / Pa'liyä Olo' or Pa'liolo'. Unfortunately, the actual Na'vi name of the Horse Clan is currently unknown.
Fì'u sunu oeru.

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Eana Unil on June 24, 2016, 02:43:39 PM
Maybe Na'viya for calling them/getting their attention... since she used that in the movie before  :-\ Mawey, Na'viya, mawey.
This one is very useful!

I am just not sure about what sounds more 'polite' to a group of a foreign clan. :-\ One could ask Pawl about that today?

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Eana Unil

Imho when you want to go formal, you'd have to use ayngenga maybe. The use of <yu> is too ceremonial here I guess.
Can't tell if Na'viya or ma frapo would be formal or casual in any way, since they're both used by Ney or Jake towards members of their own clan, but ma frapo sounds a bit more casual to me at least  :-\

Blue Elf

There's more choices, at least for second part.
For addressing, Naviya seems to be best option, if you speak to group of Na'vi (what is your case) - as was already said. Ma frapo is also fine, but it sounds more like asking for attention inside your group. So I'd prefer first one, I don't think we have any better generic greeting (except kaltxì).

For second part, you can choose based on level of urgency:
Oel kin srungit (ay)ngeyä, rutxe - I need your help, please (direct translation), sounds like I can't continue without help
Rutxe, oeru srung sivi - Please help me (big problem, I can die without help - think of Moa't's request for help when cutting Jake's bonds)
Srake tsun oeru srung sivi? - polite request for help (if you refuse, nothing serious occurs)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)