Translation Help

Started by Tìflä Na'viyä, February 24, 2010, 02:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìflä Na'viyä

Kaltxì nìwotx!
(Hello all! That's what it's meant to say but feel free to correct any errors  :))

The main reason for the post is that I would like to say 'Victory of the People' in Na'vi which is the meaning of my name (Nicola  ;D)

The only problem is that I can't find any translations for 'victory' or 'of' so need a little help (if there are any direct translations).

I read in the dictionary that 'Na'vi' means 'the People' (or the closest that I can find anyway) so I'm halfway there.

Irayo for reading and for any advice (even if it's about word order!)

darkangel1211
A man's strength is not determined by how he overcomes adversity, but rather by how big a smile he has having achieved it.

Unil Akawng

Quote from: darkangel1211 on February 24, 2010, 02:25:41 AM
Kaltxì nìwotx!
(Hello all! That's what it's meant to say but feel free to correct any errors  :))

The main reason for the post is that I would like to say 'Victory of the People' in Na'vi which is the meaning of my name (Nicola  ;D)
Kaltxì!

Currently, there is no exact translation for "victory" as far as I know. The closest thing I can currently think of, will be "success" - tìflä, or, perhaps, "overcoming" - tìemza'u (this one is questionable, though).
To say "of the people", you'll need to put Na'vi into genitive case, hence Na'viyä [victory].

Oh, and for "Hello all" Kaltxì frapo is commonly used.

I hope that was somewhat helpful!
Tukruhu ne ayoeng zola'u a fkori tukrufa tìyerkup! - Александр Невский
На'ви-русский словарь v.2.09 для jMemorize

Tìflä Na'viyä

Irayo ma tsmukan!

So what word order would that be? At the moment I'm just getting to grips with 'I give the spear to him' in Na'vi...

And 'Yä' is what makes 'Na'vi' genitive? As in possesive of 'tiflä'?
A man's strength is not determined by how he overcomes adversity, but rather by how big a smile he has having achieved it.

Unil Akawng

Quote from: darkangel1211 on February 24, 2010, 03:08:51 AM
So what word order would that be? At the moment I'm just getting to grips with 'I give the spear to him' in Na'vi...
Word order is mostly syntactically free in Na'vi, so it can be either Na'viyä [victory] or [victory] Na'viyä.
"I give the spear to him" would be Oel tìng tukruti poanur, I guess.

Quote from: darkangel1211 on February 24, 2010, 03:08:51 AM
And 'Yä' is what makes 'Na'vi' genitive? As in possesive of 'tiflä'?
Quite right, genitive case marking denotes the posessor.
Tukruhu ne ayoeng zola'u a fkori tukrufa tìyerkup! - Александр Невский
На'ви-русский словарь v.2.09 для jMemorize

Tìflä Na'viyä

Kaltxì!

Thanks for the assist, very much appreciated - it would have taken me ages otherwise  :)

Irayo!

darkangel1211

Nìkllas

Names can't be just simply translated into any language... names are special constructs in the languages they occur... sometimes there are possible compatibilities for instance latin and greek are more compatible than say japanese and latin. That's why you have a name like Theophilos translated to greek Amadeus, but there is not a translation for Philippos as Amaequus XD

The case with Nicholas (or derivates), this comes from greek Nikolaos, a composition from niké "victory, triumph" and laos "town, people". This doesn't mean it means "Victory of the People", because it is not "niké laou" which would be the genitive of "laos". In fact the composition of words in greek demands that the first changes from niké to niko-. I know there is no word for "victory" because I looked for it... my name is also Nicholas  :)