translation question?

Started by trey94, February 20, 2015, 07:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trey94

How would one say, "child of the earth", or something along those lines?

Vawmataw

Something like 'Earth's child''? I would say 'Eveng 'Rrtayä.

IPA: [ˈʔɛ.vɛŋ ˈʔrˌ.ta.jæ]
'eveng 'Rrta-yä; child earth-GEN
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Blue Elf

Or, with less strict translation, 'eveng a ta 'Rrta - child from the Earth
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Vawmataw

Yes, depending on the meaning he wants to get. Alternative version: 'Eveng a 'Rrtata, 'Eveng a 'Rrtaftu, 'Eveng a ftu 'Rrta. ftu means 'from' (direction) and that depends on what you want.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Vawmataw on February 21, 2015, 04:02:44 PM
Yes, depending on the meaning he wants to get. Alternative version: 'Eveng a 'Rrtata, 'Eveng a 'Rrtaftu, 'Eveng a ftu 'Rrta. ftu means 'from' (direction) and that depends on what you want.
ta and ftu aren't interchangeable, they change meaning significantly.
ta is about origin
ftu is about direction (of movement)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 22, 2015, 11:22:41 AM
Or just ʼEveng kifkeyä

Sure. :) Child of the World, if we assume world=Earth.
(which we can do since we are here on Earth. Otherwise, I would think that kifkey=Pandora by default kefyak?)

I'm a fan of either 'Eveng 'Rrtayä or 'Eveng Kifkeyä. The first one being imo exactly what OP was looking for.

Tìtstewan

'Rrta'eveng
which is not official, of course, but it has the same structure like Eywa'eveng. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

You can also use the colloquial words and the other words derived from 'eveng:

• 'Evi 'Rrtayä/Kifkeyä/ta 'Rrta ('evi means kid or, affectionately, child)
  • 'evengan/'evan 'Rrtayä/Kifkeyä/ta 'Rrta ('evengan means 'son', 'evan is the colloquial form)
  • 'evenge/'eve 'Rrtayä/Kifkeyä/ta 'Rrta ('evenge means 'daughter', 'eve is the colloquial form)
One can also say 'ta kifkey' instead of 'ta 'Rrta'. 'ta kifkey' is a little bit strange, but it's gramatically possible!

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 22, 2015, 12:06:39 PM
'Rrta'eveng
which is not official, of course, but it has the same structure like Eywa'eveng. :)
I hope that one day this will not be proposed in the LEP as the word for our Moon. But it's still a good choice.

Tirea Aean

'Rrta'eveng

Interesting. It's still a sort of mystery why Pandora is called Eywa'eveng even though we all know the answer is "Jim said so."

Quote from: Vawmataw on February 22, 2015, 12:19:24 PM
'Rrta'eveng
I hope that one day this will not be proposed in the LEP as the word for our Moon. But it's still a good choice.

Agreed. :3

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 22, 2015, 12:20:34 PM
'Rrta'eveng

Interesting. It's still a sort of mystery why Pandora is called Eywa'eveng even though we all know the answer is "Jim said so."
The Na'vi might consider their world like the humans considered the Earth as the center of the universe and the center of the Solar System.
Or it's just a point of view of the hooms when they discovered Pandora.

trey94

Can someone spell it the pronunciation for me? I'm very new to Na'vi, and still don't quite understand the vocabulary.

Stranger Come Knocking

o_0 Any specific one or all of them?
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Vawmataw

Quote from: Stranger Come Knocking on February 22, 2015, 12:46:48 PM
All the correct propositions can be chosen. Pay attention to the meaning sometimes.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: trey94 on February 22, 2015, 12:42:16 PM
Can someone spell it the pronunciation for me? I'm very new to Na'vi, and still don't quite understand the vocabulary.

The cool thing about the Na'vi language is, all the Na'vi "writing" we do is via a literal transcript. Which means the spelling is super obvious and is 1:1 letter:sound once you've learned the sounds.

http://tirea.learnnavi.org/posts/sounds

Quote from: Vawmataw on February 22, 2015, 12:50:25 PM
All the correct propositions can be chosen. Pay attention to the meaning sometimes.

O_o SCK was just overwhelmed by the OP request to re-write all of the suggestions made here with different spelling.

Let's re-spell none of them. :) The easiest way -- being totally honest and helpful here -- is to learn the sounds. Once you've learned them (more than half of them are super intuitive because they sound exactly the same in every language), you can pronounce any Na'vi word as long as you know where the stress emphasis is. :)

Vawmataw

@Tirea: ok, I was stupid...

All the correct propositions are:

• 'Eveng 'Rrtayä/Kifkeyä/a ta 'Rrta
  • 'Evi 'Rrtayä/Kifkeyä/a ta 'Rrta ('evi means kid or, affectionately, child)
  • 'evengan/'evan 'Rrtayä/Kifkeyä/a ta 'Rrta ('evengan means 'son', 'evan is the colloquial form)
  • 'evenge/'eve 'Rrtayä/Kifkeyä/a ta 'Rrta ('evenge means 'daughter', 'eve is the colloquial form)
One can also say 'ta kifkey' instead of 'ta 'Rrta'. 'ta kifkey' is a little bit strange, but it's gramatically possible!
  • 'Rrta'eveng

Stranger Come Knocking

Ma Trey,

If you're having trouble with the ' (glottal stop), find someone from Michigan and listen to how we say "Detroit."  I can almost guarantee s/he will not pronounce the final "t" but cut it off.

Or, for more-universally-English purposes, uh(')-(')oh works, too.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Tirea Aean

oh yeah, and more official spoken Na'vi can be found on the Official Avatar SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/thesoundsofpandora

Tìtstewan

Or, on Na'viteri, Pawl Blog. :)
http://naviteri.org/

And dict-Na'vi has also some audiofiles.
http://dict-navi.com/

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-