Tx or T'..

Started by Mesireatu, May 24, 2013, 08:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesireatu

Kaltxì frapo! :)
Oel kame ayngati! I saw something about that Karyu Pawl was thinking about write T' instead of Tx.. I think that it is a bad sollution.. If you see Kaltxì! you know that it is Hello. But if you see Kalt'ì! You are not sure if it is a ejative(?) or a glottal stop.. And I don't want to think about words that mix T' and glottal stops.. How can one tell which is which? So, please keep the Tx spelling!! Of course, this is valid for the Kx an Px too!! Eywa ayngahu! Il Sogno Viandante (That is The Dreamwalker in Italian)  :-*
Varför minns jag alla dåliga vitsar, men glömmer alla infix i Na'vi?? ???
Why do I remember all bad jokes, but forget all the infixes in Na'vi?? :-[

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!
Nga yawne lu oer, Sara L!!

Plumps

Kaltxì ma Il Sogno Viandante,

ngari txe'lan mawey livu ;) that's old information.
I think what he said in an interview or mail was that usually the ejectives are transcribed as t', p', k' but since the apostrophe was already 'taken' for the glottis stop he desided on the diagraphs tx, px, kx for the same reasons that you mentioned ;) So, there is no change in orthography.

The only thing that you might see from time to time is the 'scientific' writing of ts as c and ng as g but I haven't seen that used for a looong time ;)

Nìvingkap,
actually, *kalt'ì is not ambiguous. Because a consonant cluster is not allowed at the end of a syllable, *kalt.'ì is not possible and t + glottis stop is also not allowed to form a consonant cluster at the beginning of a syllable.

Where it would be ambiguous would be words like tsap'alute (either
/tsap.ʔa.lu.tɛ/ or /tsap'.a.lu.tɛ/) or nìk'ong (either /nɪk.ʔoŋ/ or /nɪk'.oŋ/)

Mesireatu

Kaltxì!
Oel kame ngati! Irayo! Eywa ngahu!
Varför minns jag alla dåliga vitsar, men glömmer alla infix i Na'vi?? ???
Why do I remember all bad jokes, but forget all the infixes in Na'vi?? :-[

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!
Nga yawne lu oer, Sara L!!