An opposite to Futa?

Started by Panzerfaust, February 27, 2010, 10:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzerfaust

I was thinking on how to say "i like to ___". I settled on using the spanish style "____ gives pleasure to me"

Lets say i wanted to say "i would like to hunt with you" as an example.
i would say "hunting with you would give pleasure to me"
i start off with:
oeru prrte'ti tivìng
oe-ru prrte'-ti t<iv>ìng
me-dat pleasure-acc give
would give pleasure to me
but then run into a problem. In this sentance, pleasure is what is being given, and gets the accusative. However, what is DOING the giving is "to hunt with you". How do i mark this clause as being the ergative for give? This seems like a futa-related situation where i would say:

This gives pleasure to me: hunting with you

However, when you normally use futa your are marking "this" as the accusative. I need to mark "this" as the ergative. It seems like i need an opposite to futa, which is fì'u + ti + a, because what i need would be more like fì'u + l + a.
Does this exist?

(on second thought, this started out from a phrase but ended up being more of a grammatical question. If there is a more approriate forum section for this please feel free to move it)
Pak mezazam-vozam-tsìzam-mrrvol srak?
Tsa'u  letsunslu ke lu!

omängum fra'uti

As far as we know at this point there isn't.  And it seems less likely, as it is not as common a construction.

Your actual phrase is very close to what Frommer seems to use in similar situations, except he uses the dative, so there's no case marking at all.  Specifically, he has expressed it as "a fì'u oeru prrte' lu".

You could of course swap that around and say "Oeru prrte' lu fwa ...".
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

ShadowMainZERO

Suggestion:
Couldn't you say, "I would like us to hunt together"?

If so wouldn't it be:
Oe n<iv>ìayoeng lu taron 'awsiteng.

Come join the adventure in Strange Lands: A Pandoran RP!

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.

omängum fra'uti

Ah, not quite.

nìayoeng is the adverbial form of "us"...  The "like" in the definition isn't "like" as in "enjoy", but as in "done in the same manner as".  For example, "Tsun aynga fpivìl nìayoeng" - they can think like us.  Also, it's not a verb so can't take infixes like <iv>.

The best way we have for "I would like us to hunt together" would be...
Oeru prrte' layu ta kem a (ay)oeng tivaron 'awsiteng
To me would be plasure from the action of us hunt together.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

ShadowMainZERO

Come join the adventure in Strange Lands: A Pandoran RP!

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.