Use of var

Started by Seze Mune, July 29, 2012, 11:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seze Mune

According to the N/E dictionary, var means to persist in a state, to continue to perform an action.

I am not sure how to use this.

Would it be right to say oe var kem si u'o?    Say, for example, oel var 'em wutsot ikranä tenkrr poan hahaw.

Tirea Aean

Var is intrans so you say:

oe var. I continue.

Also, it's modal so you can say:

Oe var yivom. I keep/continue eating.

^ Random usage examples.

Plumps

Have a look here – that's where it first appeared and yes, your hunch was correct altough it acts like a modal then. So, don't forget the ‹iv› ;)

oe var kemo sivi
    oe var 'ivem wutsot ikranä tengkrr poan hahaw

Ninja'd by Tirea ... nìfrakrr ;D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Plumps on July 29, 2012, 11:33:54 AM
Have a look here – that's where it first appeared and yes, your hunch was correct altough it acts like a modal then. So, don't forget the ‹iv› ;)

oe var kemo sivi
     oe var 'ivem wutsot ikranä tenkrr poan hahaw

Dangit. You ninja'd my edit. I was JUST about to add those corrections in.

Ninja points.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Plumps on July 29, 2012, 11:33:54 AM
Have a look here – that's where it first appeared and yes, your hunch was correct although it acts like a modal then. So, don't forget the ‹iv› ;)

oe var kemo sivi
    oe var 'ivem wutsot ikranä tengkrr poan hahaw

Whoa (I don't know how to say that nìNa'vi  ;D ) .....  'kemo sivi'?  That 'o' intrigues me. This, I take it, is the -o indefinite suffix.  From the above example, can I infer that this can be appended to a verb as well as a noun? Tuteo, u'o, tse'ao, zeyko-o, makto-o (uh oh, are we in trouble here?)

Oh, related question: the -o is also described as a durative suffix.  What's that?

Tirea Aean

Yes, it is -o. it is for nouns. Kem is a noun. He put o on kem to make kemo. :) and yes, tuteo, 'uo, tsengo, etc are all valid and comonly used indefinite noun forms.

Plumps

Quote from: Seze Mune on July 29, 2012, 12:02:03 PM
Whoa (I don't know how to say that nìNa'vi  ;D ) .....  'kemo sivi'?  That 'o' intrigues me. This, I take it, is the -o indefinite suffix.  From the above example, can I infer that this can be appended to a verb as well as a noun? Tuteo, u'o, tse'ao, zeyko-o, makto-o (uh oh, are we in trouble here?)

Oh, related question: the -o is also described as a durative suffix.  What's that?

To expand on that ;)

There is no precedence for that but I find it redundant to say *oe kem si 'uor, which is actually 'I do some thing' instead of 'I do some action' ... Since we have instances of 'What (= which action) are you doing?' where the noun element of a si-construction is altered, see kempe si nga? or wina uvan si, 'play a quick game', I take the kemo to mean 'some action'.

The durative suffix is found on temporal words which translates in English as 'for'

pol smarit solutx kxamlä na'rìng mesrro
     She tracked her prey for two days throug the forest.

Norm has also a line in the movie where he says 'I studied for five years' as zìsìto amrr ftolia ohe

Seze Mune

It sounds like we might be able to use the -o on the 'si' constructed verbs, then, talun they use a noun coupled with a 'si' to make a verb.

kemo si

eltuo si

oe var kelkuo sivi

oe var ioio sivi

oe var kaltxìo sivi

oe var ätxäleo sivi (tsnì)

oe var leioaeo sivi

oe var pamtseo-o sivi

etc.  :)
etc.

Tirea Aean

Sure. But some of the translations might become tiny bit strange. :)

By this point I am considering a topic split. ..

Seze Mune

Quote from: Tirea Aean on July 29, 2012, 12:45:22 PM
Sure. But some of the translations might become tiny bit strange. :)

By this point I am considering a topic split. ..

Or maybe a LOT strange.  ;)  As you wish.  I don't have anything more to add at this point, but ayoengeyä Plumps might.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on July 29, 2012, 12:40:43 PM
It sounds like we might be able to use the -o on the 'si' constructed verbs, then, talun they use a noun coupled with a 'si' to make a verb.

kemo si

eltuo si

oe var kelkuo sivi

oe var ioio sivi

oe var kaltxìo sivi

oe var ätxäleo sivi (tsnì)

oe var leioaeo sivi

oe var pamtseo-o sivi

etc.  :)
etc.
In case of "eltu si" I'd be carefull, it is idiom. And as TA said, translation of such "X-o si" would be strange or at least funny:
oe var kaltxìo sivi - I continue to say some hello
oe var kelkuo sivi - I continue to live somehow? or in some home? hmm
IMHO just "kemo si" gives good reason
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)