are these sentences correct

Started by Cdasselin, November 08, 2012, 08:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cdasselin

Kaltxi!  ;D

Hey guys, I'm very new to this, and wanted to write some sentences of my own, could you guys help me out and tell me if I'm doing anything worng?

Wameyn oel ioangìt
I drew an animal

Nantangìl pay näk
a viperwolf drinks water

and the third is me attepting to write a quote from the divine comedy in na'vi

oel raman oe mìfa vawm na'ring
I found myself within a dark forest

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Cdasselin on November 08, 2012, 08:42:36 PM

Kaltxi!  ;D

Hey guys, I'm very new to this, and wanted to write some sentences of my own, could you guys help me out and tell me if I'm doing anything worng?

Wameyn oel ioangìt
I drew an animal

Nantangìl payit näk
a viperwolf drinks water

oe räpamun mìfa vawma na'ring

Awesome! Very well done.  The second one was just missing the -t (more on this at http://tirea.skxawng.lu/posts/one.html)and the third one, you probably have not yet discovered <äp> which is put in there to say that the person is doing it to themselves, and -a- which is used as I put it there. (more on -a- at http://tirea.skxawng.lu/posts/four.html)

Cdasselin

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 08, 2012, 08:45:35 PM

Kaltxi!  ;D

Wameyn oel ioangìt
I drew an animal

Nantangìl payit näk
a viperwolf drinks water

Awesome! Very well done.  The second one was just missing the -t (more on this at http://tirea.skxawng.lu/posts/one.html)and the third one, you probably have not yet discovered <äp> which is put in there to say that the person is doing it to themselves, and -a- which is used as I put it there. (more on -a- at http://tirea.skxawng.lu/posts/four.html)

Oh man, I shouldnt have made that mistake on the second one, thats what i was practicing XD and no I havent learned <äp> yet, i only got past learning lesson 2, thanks for the help! :)

Tirea Aean

yeah, for doing something to one's self, that's a special thing. but the thing with -l and -t is usually a A verbs B type of deal. :)

Cdasselin

a quick question. on lesson three it tells how to show possession, and gives to for oe as oeru, and 2 other words with ru at the end. they half explain this part but i don't seem to be able to find what you are supposed to do to show possession. do I just add <ru> to the end of a subject to show it possess something?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Cdasselin on November 08, 2012, 10:16:24 PM
a quick question. on lesson three it tells how to show possession, and gives to for oe as oeru, and 2 other words with ru at the end. they half explain this part but i don't seem to be able to find what you are supposed to do to show possession. do I just add <ru> to the end of a subject to show it possess something?

in lesson three, it quickly explains how to say HAVE. there is no verb to HAVE. so to say i HAVE something, you actually must say something IS to me.

lu X-ru Y means X has a Y. that's all that was saying.

there is a thing you add on the end different than -ru that changes i/he/we/they etc into my/his/our/their etc. that's in lesson 7.

EDIT: also, it might be a good idea to put these comments regarding the tirea.skxawng.lu blog and further ones in the thread here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/beginners/easy-navi-lessons-blog/

Cdasselin

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 08, 2012, 11:08:22 PM
Quote from: Cdasselin on November 08, 2012, 10:16:24 PM

in lesson three, it quickly explains how to say HAVE. there is no verb to HAVE. so to say i HAVE something, you actually must say something IS to me.

lu X-ru Y means X has a Y. that's all that was saying.

there is a thing you add on the end different than -ru that changes i/he/we/they etc into my/his/our/their etc. that's in lesson 7.

Ah, ok :) your awesome, irayo!

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 08, 2012, 08:45:35 PM

Kaltxi!  ;D

Wameyn oel ioangit
I drew an animal

Nantangìl payit näk
a viperwolf drinks water

I found one more typo in first sentence, to object we add -it, not -ìt
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Plumps

Wameyn oel ioangit
I drew an animal

Nantangìl payit näk
a viperwolf drinks water

oe räpaman mìfa vawma na'rìng

Just two minor typos I found.
It's payit (or even payt/payti) not *payìt, na'rìng not *na'ring

There is a difference between i and ì. In the written form the meaning will almost always get across but sometimes they make a difference in meaning (e.g. mì vs. mi)
It is imaginable that there will be a word *payì or *na'ring in the future. So just be careful with this little accented i ;)
Otherwise, very good first attempt!

Seysonìltsan

;D ninja'd by BE :P

Cdasselin

thanks Plumps and blue elf! Ill try not to make the mistake with the accented i again! I realize it has a function as a completely seperate sound and letter so I'll try to be more careful.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Although the form oe räpamun mìfa vawma na'ring is correct and elegant in its own right, is there any reason one could not also say

oel raman oet mìfa vawm na'ring ?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Eana Unil

As far as I understood it, it's "just" a grammatical order that you have to use <äp> for this purpose.
Oel ramun oet and similar constructions are not allowed/valid.

Which makes sense to me and stuff a lot easier; in order to say "he washes himself" you'd have to use (basing on this oel {verb} oet construction) "pol yur pot", which could also mean "he/she washes him/her (other person or him/herself)". Po yäpur makes unmistakably clear what it means.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eana Unil on November 10, 2012, 04:04:55 AM
As far as I understood it, it's "just" a grammatical order that you have to use <äp> for this purpose.

Which makes sense to me and stuff a lot easier; in order to say "he washes himself" you'd have to use (basing on this oel {verb} oet construction) "pol yur pot", which could also mean "he/she washes him/her (other person or him/herself)". Po yäpur makes unmistakably clear what it means.

it would be
pol yur pot s/he washes him(someone else)
pol yur snot s/he washes him(self)

But I think repeating subject as object is highly not preferred stylistically. Technically, grammatically it's okay, but it is most likely very weird and never used.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 10, 2012, 08:20:38 AM
Quote from: Eana Unil on November 10, 2012, 04:04:55 AM

it would be
pol yur pot s/he washes him(someone else)
pol yur snot s/he washes him(self)

But I think repeating subject as object is highly not preferred stylistically. Technically, grammatically it's okay, but it is most likely very weird and never used.
This. In Czech we use repeating subject as object to create funny sentences (for example my wife sometimes say "I regret me" instead of "I regret myself" in situation, where she is not satisfied and nobody wants to help her :))

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

irayo! The whole point was that Oel ramun oet is stylistically 'interesting'. I like Pol yur snot as well. ;)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Plumps

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 10, 2012, 12:49:02 PM
irayo! The whole point was that Oel ramun oet is stylistically 'interesting'. I like Pol yur snot as well. ;)

But it's grammatically (and stylistically, tì'efumì oeyä) wrong ... for me this has a kind of schizophrenic quality, as if I would find 'another me' (that is separated from my Self).
In the same vein, I don't think *pol yur snot is acceptable either...  :-\

Kemaweyan

Sno doesn't mean «another one», it means «oneself». So I don't see any grammatical troubles in pol yur snot. But stylistically po yäpur would be better.
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Cdasselin

Kaltxi!
how about this?

ma mìfìsop a ayoeng tìrey
oe räpamun mìfa vawma na'rìng
talun fya'o alaw a tìamsnaytx

midway upon the journey of our life
I found myself within a forest dark
for the straightforward path had been lost

the first stanza from the divine comedy.

Blue Elf

So, some of your words are not correct:
- mìfìsop: journey is tìsop, adposition should be separated: mì+ tìsop = mì sìsop
- ma is used for addressing someone, but here you do not speak to anyone
- to express "of" we use -yä/-ä suffix: mì+ kam tìsopä tìreyä awngeyä = in the midpoint of the journey of our life
- second sentence looks correct
- snaytx is used in meaning of "lose a game", tatep would work better. Also - we put infix inside of verb, so it should be sn<am>aytx. And not sure why you used tì- infix

So correct version could be:
mì kam tìsopä tìreyä awngeyä    In the midpoint of journey of our life
oe räpamun mìfa vawma na'rìng  I founf myself lost inside of dark forest
talun fkol tatep fya'ot alaw        Because one lost clear path (or: because clear path was lost)

Fko is used for passive voice, what fits here well. And as tatep is transitive, we need -l suffix on subject and -t on subject