Word and phrase help please

Started by ~SevinTanhi~, April 03, 2013, 10:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~SevinTanhi~

Kaltxì ma frapo :)

What are the best words/phrases to learn when begining to learn Na'vi? I already know most of the basics, I have a lot more to learn, and I am enjoying learning Na'vi very much. :) It is an amazing lauguage. :) I know when speaking to someone you put ma before the name/names, and about the free word order and things like that.
Does anybody have any suggestions on the basic words?

Irayo

Plumps

I think there is something in development for Memrise (and here), if you use that.

There is also this thread with useful phrases and commonly used words – by now it's very wordy :P You'd have to pick your favorites yourself. Otherwise I can only suggest, dive into the language, use it as often as possible, try to translate something and show the people for comments and suggestions... Learning by doing, don't be afraid to make mistakes (and be friendly corrected ;) )

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Plumps on April 04, 2013, 02:24:45 AM
I think there is something in development for Memrise (and here), if you use that.

There is also this thread with useful phrases and commonly used words – by now it's very wordy :P You'd have to pick your favorites yourself. Otherwise I can only suggest, dive into the language, use it as often as possible, try to translate something and show the people for comments and suggestions... Learning by doing, don't be afraid to make mistakes (and be friendly corrected ;) )

I second everything Plumps has said.  (Ngaru tsulfä, ma Plumps. :) )  Also all of the advice in your welcome thread is sound.   If you want to hear the language, Paul Frommer's blog now has sound accompanying his newer posts, or find out when people in your general time zone will be on TeamSpeak (don't be discouraged if it's not as often as we'd like).  Don't be afraid to lurk for a while, but please join us in writing and reading Na'vi as soon as you feel ready, or even before.  We're all perfectly happy to discuss the weather or your cat. ;)
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

~SevinTanhi~

Irayo ma frapo :)

This helped a lot, thank you all so much! I'm really enjoying learning Na'vi, it's such a wonderful and beautiful language. And it helps that everyone is so nice here! Irayo!  :)

What would dog be in Na'vi? I know that horse is pa'li. If there is no word for dog, would it be pronounced differently, or would it stay the same?

Taronyu Leleioae

Quote from: ~SevinTanhi~ on April 10, 2013, 09:15:45 PM
What would dog be in Na'vi? I know that horse is pa'li. If there is no word for dog, would it be pronounced differently, or would it stay the same?

Closest is "nantang" meaning viperwolf...  :)

Alyara Arati

For dog, we use nantangtsyìp, little direwolf. :)
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

~SevinTanhi~

Thank you everyone!  ;D
That helped lots, thanks :)

Yawä ngahu

Mr. HelloBye

How does one say "What do you do on the weekend?", or "What do you do in your free time?". Also, how do you say that you don't like something, as opposed to you're doing it, but not liking it?

Vawmataw

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I have not spoken really Na'vi for weeks. However, I'll try.

"What do you do on the weekend?"
Pehem nga kem si muntrrmì?

"What do you do in your free time?"
Pehem nga kem si tìk'ìnmì?
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì ma Mr. HelloBye

Tìk'ìnìri kempe si nga? (this is a phrase)
What do you do in your free time?

Muntrrìri kempe si nga? (derivated from the phrase)
What do you do on the weekend?

Quote from: Mr. HelloBye on April 27, 2013, 09:44:31 AM
[...] Also, how do you say that you don't like something, as opposed to you're doing it, but not liking it?
I'm not sure if I understood this question correctly...
Here you just use the infix <ei> (like) or <äng> (don't like).
An example:
Oel ngati tse'eia. I see you (like)
Oel ngati tse'änga. I see you (don't like)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Plumps

Too literal translations, I'm afraid, ma Kepekmì

From the Getting to know You, Part 3
40.  What do you do in your free time?
Tìk'ìnìri kempe si nga?

So, I assume that "what do you do on the weekend?" would be something like
    Muntrrìri kempe si nga?

Ma HelloBye, bear in mind that time in Na'vi is optional to a certain extent. This is probably about an event that is clear to both speaker and listener. You can define time more precisely with fìmuntrr (this weekend) or kempe sayi nga (what will you do) etc.

As for your second question... "I don't like (to do something)" is ke sunu oer (fwa) ...

Ke sunu oer fwa snomot sleyku laro.
    "I don't like to clean my room."

as opposed to 'not liking something'

Fìtsenge ke sunu oer.
    "I don't like this place."

Doing something and not liking it is most often done with the second-position infix ‹äng›

Snomot oel sleykängu laro.
    "I clean my room." (and don't like it)

Edit: ninja'd by Tìtstewan ;D

Quote from: Tìtstewan on April 27, 2013, 10:27:38 AMHere you just use the infix <ei> (willingly) or <äng> (unwillingly).
An example:
Oel ngati kameie. I see you (willingly)
Oel ngati kamänge. I see you (unwillingly)
This is misleading... second position infixes denote the attitude of the speaker towards what is being said. There is intention behind this ...  but '(un)willingly' seem to be the wrong words for that  :-\  Perhaps I just don't like these examples with kame. How can you see into someone and not liking it? :-\

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Plumps on April 27, 2013, 10:30:01 AM
Quote from: Tìtstewan on April 27, 2013, 10:27:38 AMHere you just use the infix <ei> (willingly) or <äng> (unwillingly).
An example:
This is misleading... second position infixes denote the attitude of the speaker towards what is being said. There is intention behind this ...  but '(un)willingly' seem to be the wrong words for that  :-\  Perhaps I just don't like these examples with kame. How can you see into someone and not liking it? :-\
I was just as an example? ???
Edit:
I change kame to tse'a.

New:

Oe tswayon fa ikran. I fly with an Ikran.
Oe tswayeion fa ikran. I (like to) fly with an Ikran.
Oe tswayängon fa ikran. I (don't like to) fly with an Ikran.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Mr. HelloBye

Quote from: Plumps on April 27, 2013, 10:30:01 AM
Too literal translations, I'm afraid, ma Kepekmì

From the Getting to know You, Part 3
40.  What do you do in your free time?
Tìk'ìnìri kempe si nga?

So, I assume that "what do you do on the weekend?" would be something like
    Muntrrìri kempe si nga?

Ma HelloBye, bear in mind that time in Na'vi is optional to a certain extent. This is probably about an event that is clear to both speaker and listener. You can define time more precisely with fìmuntrr (this weekend) or kempe sayi nga (what will you do) etc.

As for your second question... "I don't like (to do something)" is ke sunu oer (fwa) ...

Ke sunu oer fwa snomot sleyku laro.
    "I don't like to clean my room."

as opposed to 'not liking something'

Fìtsenge ke sunu oer.
    "I don't like this place."

Doing something and not liking it is most often done with the second-position infix ‹äng›

Snomot oel sleykängu laro.
    "I clean my room." (and don't like it)

Edit: ninja'd by Tìtstewan ;D

An example:
This is misleading... second position infixes denote the attitude of the speaker towards what is being said. There is intention behind this ...  but '(un)willingly' seem to be the wrong words for that  :-\  Perhaps I just don't like these examples with kame. How can you see into someone and not liking it? :-\
What does the "ìri" at the end of those time expressions signify?

Tìtstewan

-ìri / -ri are topic marker. :)

For more information about the topic marker read this: Na'vi Linguistics Practicum: Topicals (I)

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on April 27, 2013, 12:19:40 PM
-ìri / -ri are topic marker. :)

For more information about the topic marker read this: Na'vi Linguistics Practicum: Topicals (I)
topical is often used with -si verbs (verb created from noun + si):
Srungìri ngeyä oe irayo si. -> Thank you for the help. (lit: Regarding your help I thank (you))
Muntrrìri kempe si nga? -> What do you do on weekend? (lit: As for weekend, what do you do?)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)