Previous topic - Next topic

Kame Ayyo’koti

Na'vi uses the possessive to create forms like:

tsmuk-e oe-yä
Meaning: Sister of mine

Or:
txìm palulukan-ä
Meaning: rear end of a thanator

But I was thinking, sometimes in English we use the phrase "X of Y" not to mean possession, but as short-hand for other expressions. For example: "field of flowers." This doesn't mean "(the) flower's field," but "a field (full/made/comprised) of flowers." But the structure of the phrase is similar to possession.

My question is, does Na'vi work the same way?:
txayo ay-syulang-ä
"field of flowers"?

tsngal pay-ä
"cup of water"?

Or would these phrases require a different structure? Maybe:
txayo a ay-syulang-hu
"field with flowers"

tsngal a pay-fa t<am>eya si
"cup that is filled with water"

We have Utral Aymokriyä, although I think that could mean "the Voices' Tree" as much as "the Tree (made of/containing) Voices."
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Tìtstewan

For "field of flowers", I would use

txayo a teya ay-syulang-ta / txayo a teya ay-syulang-hu
field that (is) full with flowers

Edit: we need an adjective of lew si - cover...
I'm not sure regarding the construction with hu, but it should work too.

Utral Aymokriyä is possesive "the voices' tree" / tree of voices

Quotetsngal a pay-fa t<am>eya si
"cup that is filled with water"

Regarding to this verb, all infixes go into the si part -> X s<0><1><2>i
Also I would just use teya (adjective)

tsngal lu teya pay-ta / tsngal lu teya pay-hu  tsngal lu teya pay-fa
"cup is filled/full with water"

or

tsngal a-teya pay-ta / tsngal a-teya pay-hu / tsngal a-teya pay-fa
"filled/full cup with water"

EDIT: or

tsngal a teya pay-ta / tsngal a teya pay-hu /tsngal a teya pay-fa
"cup which (is) filled/full with water"

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Plumps

Quote from: Kerame Ayyo'koti on February 14, 2014, 08:16:59 AMMy question is, does Na'vi work the same way?:
txayo ay-syulang-ä
"field of flowers"?

tsngal pay-ä
"cup of water"?

Yes, in general it does. Although, we also talk semantics here (and it is great to see that you are thinking about these kinds of implications because often I've seen, that one doesn't)

All examples of teya so far use ta to mean "full of/filled with". So, I'd say,

txayo a teya ay-syulang-ta

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Plumps on February 14, 2014, 09:23:06 AM

All examples of teya so far use ta to mean "full of/filled with". So, I'd say,

txayo a teya ay-syulang-ta
Work that ta also with cup full of water? *asking to be sure about this*

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Plumps

If it works for "nose full of his alien smell" (a line from the movie) I say it works for "cup full of water" as well ;)

Tìtstewan

So, I went back and re-edited my post, because it's way better to use ta (why I forgot that sentence?). Irayo!

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Plumps on February 14, 2014, 09:51:50 AM
If it works for "nose full of his alien smell" (a line from the movie) I say it works for "cup full of water" as well ;)

Hmm... I'm not so sure. There is not this phrase in the movie, I just listened that moment and I don't hear any words after fahew akewong. There are not words ontu teyä längu in that phrase :-\
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Plumps

But it's supposed to be. We all know that the actors messed up lines and that the language was not JC's primary concern ;) The link I gave is what Pawl translated for the movie lines—I'll stick with that.

Tìtstewan

Not in the movie, but in this blog: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1977 (Case part) ?

Oeritapeyäfahewakewongontuteyalängu.
I-TOPfromhissmellaliennosefullis-NEG-ATTITUDE

Taronyu Leleioae

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 14, 2014, 10:28:59 AM
Oeri ta peyä fahew akewong ontu teya längu.
I-TOP from his smell alien nose full is-NEG-ATTITUDE

Interesting that "oeri" was split from "ontu".  I had always thought they had to be together with (inalienable) possession.

I don't believe using "hu" would be correct either.  As it generally means with (as accompaniment).  Such as...   "She walked with me."

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Taronyu Leleioae on February 14, 2014, 11:20:03 AM
I don't believe using "hu" would be correct either.  As it generally means with (as accompaniment).  Such as...   "She walked with me."
I knew this question will occure :D
-->
Quote2. mesyalhu a ikran

I like that the best. Seems quite natural.

Taronyu Leleioae

There was also the clarification made (I think mostly through PM though that I had done with Plumps awhile back) where we had the English spoken in the film by Neytiri:
"You may make your bow from the wood of Hometree."

If I remember correctly, Plumps checked with Karyu Pawl and "ta" was the correct word.
Using "ta", imo there is some flexibility.  One could say "from".  One could also infer "containing" referring to the material, in this case "the wood of Hometree".

(ma Plumps, please correct me if I'm wrong...  It's a good question.)

Tìtstewan

Plumps asked this due the Avatar meet in Germany:
Quote from: Plumps on May 19, 2013, 03:38:47 PM

• I asked him about the range of ta for the sentence 'You may make your bow from the wood of hometree'. He said, ta would be fine for that.
;)

As for hu, it is highly difficult to use it in a corect context. I personally wouldn't use such constructions with hu in it, but (at the moment) it is could be possible...

Kame Ayyo’koti

This thread is a bit old, but I'd like to add a bit more.

Quote from: Plumps on February 14, 2014, 09:23:06 AMAll examples of teya so far use ta to mean "full of/filled with". So, I'd say,

txayo a teya ay-syulang-ta[/size][/font]
I like this construction. Although I'd like you to clarify regarding the relative clause: Would the "full" relative clause then be?:
Txayo lu teya ay-syulang-ta.
A.m.: The field is full of flowers.

I ask because I don't fully understand the structure of it. I'm used to relative clauses having a verb at least, or more of a sentence.

I thought of another case like this, which introduces a problem. I learned the word sästarsìm, and thought of a phrase like, "My collection of rocks." If we used the construction in my initial post, it would require double-genitives, which is odd:
oe-yä sästarsìm ay-skxe-yä

But Plumps's answer is much better:
oe-yä sästarsìm a teya ay-skxe-ta
A.m.: my collection that is full of rocks
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Plumps

Quote from: Kerame Ayyo'koti on February 28, 2014, 03:59:24 PMI like this construction. Although I'd like you to clarify regarding the relative clause: Would the "full" relative clause then be?:
Txayo lu teya ay-syulang-ta.
A.m.: The field is full of flowers.
Srane ;)

This is of course a complete sentence in itself. The 'shortened' relative clause allows for further description, though, e.g.
Txayo a teya ay-syulang-ta lu lor nìtxan.
The field (full) of flowers is very beautiful.

Quote from: Kerame Ayyo'koti on February 28, 2014, 03:59:24 PMI ask because I don't fully understand the structure of it. I'm used to relative clauses having a verb at least, or more of a sentence.
That's why I tend to call them 'shortened relative clauses' ... don't know if that is really linguistic :P

Concerning the structure...
It's really got to do with the adposition. Na'vi doesn't allow the structure to be *txayo teya ta aysyulang* because here the noun (txayo) is described in more detail by an adposition. There are exceptions in kind of a news-headline-style called truncated style but for the sake of 'correct' Na'vi I try to avoid that ;)

Quote from: Kerame Ayyo'koti on February 28, 2014, 03:59:24 PMI thought of another case like this, which introduces a problem. I learned the word sästarsìm, and thought of a phrase like, "My collection of rocks." If we used the construction in my initial post, it would require double-genitives, which is odd:
*oe-yä sästarsìm ay-skxe-yä
But completely valid ;)

Quote from: Kerame Ayyo'koti on February 28, 2014, 03:59:24 PM
oe-yä sästarsìm a teya ay-skxe-ta
A.m.: my collection that is full of rocks
Possible as well. As with other languages, there is never only one answer to a translation ;)