Zup versus Spa

Started by Niri Te, February 10, 2013, 11:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niri Te

Ateyo and I were discussing adding the us infix in zup that I saw somewhere. I wondered if you could do the same thing with Spä. The reason that I ask is that I am an ex HALO qualified Paratrooper, and when we would "jump", it was not an uncontrolled tumbling affair, it was VERY controlled, and we could go where we wanted to in the sky, why we would call it "Flying".
The Na'vi, are very controlled when they fall too, so I wondered if I could use spä not as the command "jump", but also as an adjective for an intentional controlled fall. In that case, it would be "spusä", correct??
Then could could I use "A jumping Tiger" or "A jumping Tsamsiyu" ?? Would it be understood by others as a controlled fall??
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Niri Te on February 10, 2013, 11:39:58 AM
Ateyo and I were discussing adding the us infix in zup that I saw somewhere. I wondered if you could do the same thing with Spä. The reason that I ask is that I am an ex HALO qualified Paratrooper, and when we would "jump", it was not an uncontrolled tumbling affair, it was VERY controlled, and we could go where we wanted to in the sky, why we would call it "Flying".
The Na'vi, are very controlled when they fall too, so I wondered if I could use spä not as the command "jump", but also as an adjective for an intentional controlled fall. In that case, it would be "spusä", correct??
Then could could I use "A jumping Tiger" or "A jumping Tsamsiyu" ?? Would it be understood by others as a controlled fall??

Yes you certainly can say spusäa or aspusä. But the idea of controlled fall... that has nothing to do with <us>

Spä, as I think of it, is you are on the ground, you use your legs to propel you upward. Then you zup back down to the ground because of gravity.

If you said the phrase spusäa nantang, I would think of a nantang who is hopping around and jumping up and down either in place, or here and there which I don't think is what you want to say. The jumping viperwolf xD

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 10, 2013, 11:45:46 AM

Yes you certainly can say spusäa or aspusä. But the idea of controlled fall... that has nothing to do with <us>

Spä, as I think of it, is you are on the ground, you use your legs to propel you upward. Then you zup back down to the ground because of gravity.

If you said the phrase spusäa nantang, I would think of a nantang who is hopping around and jumping up and down either in place, or here and there which I don't think is what you want to say. The jumping viperwolf xD
I wanna translate the song ''Skyfall''.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Niri Te

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 10, 2013, 11:45:46 AM

Irayo nìtxan ma oeyä karu,
What I want to say is a Navi jumping from a 100 foot cliff, and "freefalling", tstal to land, to deliver an instantly killing wound to her prey, (here, a sentry at a small, hidden group of hard core RDA that were not routed out and sent back to Earth).
There is the same disparity in English, where it is the same word for a team of six Rangers making a night Halo, or a Ranger jumping on a truck passing underneath, OR a child jumping rope. It is something that someone in the Military trained to do it Knows what you mean, but few civilians other than Skydivers would. 

Tirea Aean

yeah. Maybe it's a dual usage of "jump" in English. We can say I jump. Which implies an in-place hop, and if we say I jump off a cliff, it's a purposeful jump, --leap even-- where you propel yourself up while moving off the land and toward the air and then proceed to free fall. I'd maybe even call this hop or leap.

I have no real idea if one can "spä" off a cliff or not. I guess it depends on if its semantic range also covers "leap" and "hop", etc. or not.

Niri Te

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 10, 2013, 12:14:45 PM
yeah. Maybe it's a dual usage of "jump" in English. We can say I jump. Which implies an in-place hop, and if we say I jump off a cliff, it's a purposeful jump, --leap even-- where you propel yourself up while moving off the land and toward the air and then proceed to free fall. I'd maybe even call this hop or leap.

I have no real idea if one can "spä" off a cliff or not. I guess it depends on if its semantic range also covers "leap" and "hop", etc. or not.

I just remembered something. We would use a different word sometimes to differentiate, and that word was "drop". I looked it up in the dictionary, and there is a Na'vi word, "Tungzup". The dictionary says that tungzup was assembled from two words, Tung, allow, and zup, fall.
Because of the element of allow in the word, I think that Tungzup would be the perfect word. Asd a transient verb, I can not use it as an adjective, can I??

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Niri Te on February 10, 2013, 01:13:58 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 10, 2013, 12:14:45 PM

I just remembered something. We would use a different word sometimes to differentiate, and that word was "drop". I looked it up in the dictionary, and there is a Na'vi word, "Tungzup". The dictionary says that tungzup was assembled from two words, Tung, allow, and zup, fall.
Because of the element of allow in the word, I think that Tungzup would be the perfect word. Asd a transient verb, I can not use it as an adjective, can I??

Tungzup is no less a verb than any other verb or compound verb. Infixing follows the pattern of taron:

t<>ung.z<>up
t<>a.r<>on

I don't see why tusungzupa or atusungzup wouldn't be possible. It would then mean "The dropping ____"

Alyara Arati

I've used täpungzup to mean intentional falling, where one drops oneself to the ground.  I'm not sure it was the best choice, but I couldn't think of a better one...
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 10, 2013, 06:28:48 PM
I've used täpungzup to mean intentional falling, where one drops oneself to the ground.  I'm not sure it was the best choice, but I couldn't think of a better one...

I don't see a problem with this. Seems perfectly fine to me. If someone said to me something that has the phrase "oe täpungzup" in it, I would understand it as you let youreslf fall, which has an intentional feel. In my opinion, tung has an active feel to it, where the subject is consciously allowing something to happen. (But this doesn't necessarily have to apply to the word tungzup.) I would say (this is mainly personal conjecture) that using tungzup would mean something is dropping something else on purpose, whereas zup could be used to say something falls, which has a more accidental/uncontrolled feel to it.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I was thinking something similar with teykungzup or even täpeykungzup 'cause to make myself drop'. A skydiver might even say oe täpeykungzeiup  ::)

But atungzup or tungzupa. I have never seen anything like this done with a Na'vi verb before. We can turn verbs into adjectives in Dothraki. I did not know you can do this in Na'vi, nor can I think of an example of it having been done.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

QuoteBut atungzup or tungzupa. I have never seen anything like this done with a Na'vi verb before. We can turn verbs into adjectives in Dothraki. I did not know you can do this in Na'vi, nor can I think of an example of it having been done.

You don't do it by just sticking -a- on there. You have to use <us> or <awn> infix too, In order to change into adjective (which can be attributively used only, not predicatively) If you read my initial reply and other post Here more closely, You see I used the us infix. ;)

Niri Te

THANKS folks, I will use täpungzup for the instances of someone dropping on someone from above.

Blue Elf

as far as I understand it:
tungzup (vtr.) - drop something somewhere: Oel tolungzup tskxe ne kllte -> I dropped rock on the ground
täpungzup (vin.)- drop myself somewhere (subject performs action on himself): Oe täpungzup ne kllte -> I dropped myself on the ground (no idea how to do it in reality...)
zup (vin.) - fall down: Oe zolup ne kllte -> I fall down to the ground (probably I stumbled and....)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)