20 Questions: Gestures

Started by omängum fra'uti, March 04, 2010, 02:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omängum fra'uti

We've seen they have a "I see you" gesture...  And Neytiri used a few gestures as well that seemed like more than just being expressive, such as "You do not belong here", or when they are on the ikran...  And the ikran bit makes sense because the rushing wind would make verbal communication difficult...

So, it seems like they have at least a few gestures, perhaps more.  I would love to find out what other sort of gestures they may have.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

omängum fra'uti

And in addition at prrton's suggestion...  Maybe throw in something about the emotiveness of their ears and tail, it would be nice to get some words for kxetse or memikyun expressions, but that might best be something worked out with Cameron.

See: http://forum.learnnavi.org/vocabulary-expansion/topic-communication/msg127712/#msg127712 for more details

Prrton

I already asked for the "deferential eye gesture", but don't think a term for it will be forthcoming without some kind of clarification from Cameron. When Jake meets Seze for the first time, Neytiri tells him "don't look her in the eyes" meaning you must avert your eyes (I assumed) in deference. It is very common in human etiquette protocols (and fundamental mammal behavior (you've probably seen dogs do it to people)), but it's not particularly eloquently named in English.

Deference seems very important. They were all HORRIFIED when Jake reached out to Eytukan. I would love to see this done eloquently in Na'vi.

Skyinou

Quote from: Prrton on March 04, 2010, 03:18:02 AM
They were all HORRIFIED when Jake reached out to Eytukan.
Seemed to me more like they were affraid that Jake does something harmful to Eytukan. Eytukan is not untouchable, he is often among the other, even if not too close. (See: when jake is taken by force in front of him he is not particularly alone, the first scene the Na'vi are eating, and he's here for the battle)
I think this is more about pure respect rather than "etiquette protocols". Not something that you learn, but something that you feel.
I hope you are at least a little wrong here. If not, Na'vi would see too much importance in "appearance".

Anyway, about gestures you can do a good question.
Let's rock with The Tanners!

Na'rìghawnu

QuoteWhen Jake meets Seze for the first time, Neytiri tells him "don't look her in the eyes" meaning you must avert your eyes (I assumed) in deference.

Are you sure about the meaning? I always thought, that he should avoid staring into the eyes of the ikran, because it could provoce aggressive behaviour on it's side. So looking at another direction maybe takes the tension out of the encounter.

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

wm.annis

Quote from: Na'rìghawnu on March 04, 2010, 10:18:38 AMAre you sure about the meaning? I always thought, that he should avoid staring into the eyes of the ikran, because it could provoce aggressive behaviour on it's side.

That was my thought, too.  One does not stare a wild gorilla in the face — it is a dominance gesture, and why gorillas in zoos may sit with their backs to the public.

omängum fra'uti

Prrton

I'm not sure, of course, but that's the way I took it and that's precisely the way it expresses itself in both non-human animal and human behavior.

One doesn't stare at the gorilla in deference to him so that he won't attack.

One doesn't look at the king in deference to him so that he won't send one the the gallows. (Some Thais won't even stand fully erect in front of their royalty.)

One doesn't look Seze in the eye in deference to her to avoid having one's head bitten off.

I agree that there is a chance that the "court" feared that Jake would try to harm Eytucan, but I didn't get only that feeling out of it. The requisite level of deference changes contextually too. Sometimes your dog needs to avert his eyes (when he is a bad dog who chewed up your slippers), but other times it's proper for him to wallow around with you on the grass (after frisbee in the park).

I'm just saying that it needs to be ASKED (if it is in fact worth being asked in relationship to the other things) It should go in the brainstorming pile for now.  ;)