20 questions: History

Started by Txur’Itan, March 03, 2010, 02:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txur’Itan

The concept of war party, sorrow, heroes, and warrior exists in the Omatikaya clan, and the last time of great sorrow indicates a pretty heavy event in the events of Tork Makto from the days of the first songs.

• How do the Na'vi discuss history in their everyday lives?
  • The first songs, is this an event, like a Na'vi creation myth equivalent to Na'vi genesis, or just a metaphor for a long time ago?
  • The Toruk Makto stories seem to be something the Na'vi all know, what are these stories, and can we know them also? - Preferably translated into Na'vi...
  • Are historical events sung as songs? Can we get some more songs? - Preferably translated into Na'vi...
  • How much communication can happen between the Na'vi and their Ancestors? Can they rapid learn from them, have a whole conversation, only hear them living in a  dream state, or just get brief moments of inspiration from a Tsahaylu session?
  • What is the time of great sorrow called in the Na'vi language, for the earlier one that Neytiri mentions, and the one that Jake resolves in the Film?
  • Are there unpleasant stories about certain unsavory Na'vi that would have caused the Omatikayan system of punishment, like cutting off the queue (Jake had a knife held to his queue by his Na'vi captures in the film, and they were bound at a rack seemingly in preparation for execution, or queue cutting.)?
私は太った男だ。

Keylstxatsmen

Quote from: Txur'Itan on March 03, 2010, 02:44:08 PM
The concept of war party, sorrow, heroes, and warrior exists in the Omatikaya clan, and the last time of great sorrow indicates a pretty heavy event in the events of Tork Makto from the days of the first songs.

• How do the Na'vi discuss history in their everyday lives?
  • The first songs, is this an event, like a Na'vi creation myth equivalent to Na'vi genesis, or just a metaphor for a long time ago?
  • The Toruk Makto stories seem to be something the Na'vi all know, what are these stories, and can we know them also? - Preferably translated into Na'vi...
  • Are historical events sung as songs? Can we get some more songs? - Preferably translated into Na'vi...
  • How much communication can happen between the Na'vi and their Ancestors? Can they rapid learn from them, have a whole conversation, only hear them living in a  dream state, or just get brief moments of inspiration from a Tsahaylu session?
  • What is the time of great sorrow called in the Na'vi language, for the earlier one that Neytiri mentions, and the one that Jake resolves in the Film?
  • Are there unpleasant stories about certain unsavory Na'vi that would have caused the Omatikayan system of punishment, like cutting off the queue (Jake had a knife held to his queue by his Na'vi captures in the film, and they were bound at a rack seemingly in preparation for execution, or queue cutting.)?

Good stuff, the history and connection to Eywa are great topics with LOTS of stuff to think about.

I also wonder how the Na'vi keep their history.  They upload their memories to Eywa, but they must keep a separate oral history.  How much of that data from Eywa they can access is questionable as well, or if it is all a jumble of voices or consciousnesses from the past.

We'll can see if some other people have some thoughts about this and then start crafting language for the question.  There seem to be two separate topics in there right now.

-Keyl
Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

Txur’Itan

How does the Blue flute factor in to Na'vi cultural history?  It only appears in the ASG, and based on the events of the film, it was destroyed.  What now?
私は太った男だ。

omängum fra'uti

On a related note, what are the relations between the clans like?  The ASG says that war is rare, but it does still happen.  Do the clans tend to be territorial and defend their territory from each other, but not need to expand beyond it due to plentiful resources, or do they all cooperate and share the resources without having to steak a claim?
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

Keylstxatsmen

Quote from: Txur'Itan on March 04, 2010, 01:50:40 AM
Miles of stuff here.

http://forum.learnnavi.org/navi-customs-and-culture/

Yes, I hope those that frequent the Customs and Culture board come here with there ideas.  I tried to nudge them in this direction, but I can't tell what sort of reaction it got.  I am a strictly language board person myself, so if anyone has more interaction with any of the main "movers and shakers" of that place, please encourage them to come here and give there input! :) It is much needed.

-Keyl
Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

What is their lineage system?

What is their kinship system?

How do they choose Olo'ekytan and Tsahík?
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng