A current word list

Started by wm.annis, March 09, 2010, 09:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wm.annis

I have a script which looks at all the wiki vocabulary topic pages, and pulls out all the definitions, and slams them into one giant page, http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php?title=L_E_P/Wordlist.  That will let you know everything that has made it into the wiki so far, with priorities if they have been set.  The word links into the vocabulary topic page, but not directly to the word.

This should help people know whether a word they want is already on the list we're sending to Frommer.

There's still a lot of data we're moving from forum discussions to the wiki.

mjcarrier

Prrton

This is GREAT, and I've been adding more things to the talk page.

wm.annis

And I just got the master word list from Frommer.  By this evening (CST) I'll have a separate page up with just the English definitions and parts of speech from that list.

For the curious, a few tasty treats...

tun red, orange
layon black
teyr white
Leniting adpositions: fpi, ìlä, mì, ro, sre, wä (ro at, sre before (in time), against (as in fight against)).
We can in fact use 'u by itself, thing (object, fact, abstraction)

I'll try to start filtering things out of the wiki based on this list tonight.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: wm.annis on March 10, 2010, 07:33:30 AM
And I just got the master word list from Frommer.  By this evening (CST) I'll have a separate page up with just the English definitions and parts of speech from that list.

tun red, orange
layon black
teyr white
Leniting adpositions: fpi, ìlä, mì, ro, sre, wä (ro at, sre before (in time), against (as in fight against)).

Huzzah! *does happy-dance*
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Kemaweyan

tun red, orange
layon black
teyr white

Irayo nìtxan, ma tsmukan!
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Skxawng

omg awesome on both counts. This lets me make sure that all the words I'll be suggestion in the future either have not been suggested and don't exist already. Rockin.

Can't wait for the full list of words

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Keylstxatsmen

tun red, orange
layon black
teyr white

Interesting, will we soon be getting a word dump from the Master List -- hereafter referred to as "The Grail" -- or was it "The Grail sans Na'vi"? (or are we getting everything together after Dr. Frommer responds)

-Keyl
Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

Prrton

And I just got the master word list from Frommer.  By this evening (CST) I'll have a separate page up with just the English definitions and parts of speech from that list.

tun red, orange
layon black
teyr white

and «ean» is both "blue" AND "green".

So what DO they actually see when they look at this face?

20 Questions Folks...

wm.annis

The English glosses for all known Na'vi words (apart from some names) is now available, Frommerian words.

I made a small change to the script that updates the word list so that it now puts an alarming little red star in front of words it thinks might be duplicating words Frommer has already created for us.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: wm.annis on March 10, 2010, 05:22:29 PM
The English glosses for all known Na'vi words (apart from some names) is now available, Frommerian words.

I made a small change to the script that updates the word list so that it now puts an alarming little red star in front of words it thinks might be duplicating words Frommer has already created for us.

That list is great; gives me some things to look forward to =)  Irayo fì'uri!
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Will Txankamuse

Spoke to you last night about this on IRC ma wm.annis - but I went through the IDS words and picked out the important ones, then cross referenced these against the list on the wiki and the list of frommerian words.  Sorry but I didn't have time to go through all the threads, I'm going on what wm.annis has copied across to the wiki.

Good news is that we seem to be doing really well, there's not many missing at all, in fact I wasn't going to post but here's a few we might have missed:

secret (n) - It was a secret that Neytiri had mated with Jake.
times (n, pl) - How many times have you seen Avatar?  Can we use ayhrr for this?
whether (conj) - Do you know whether you can hunt?  Can we use if - txo for this?  I notice the new list from frommer has 'if not, or else, otherwise (conj) ' which is interesting.
weapon (n) - generic weapon, we have word for club and arrow but not a generic word for any weapon e.g. 'my fists are weapons'
victory/defeat (n) - We celebrate our victory!  Also associated verbs if it's not 'make victory'.  The wordlist has 'win' but I'm not sure this is quite the same (but scrub this if you think it is)
fish (v) - we have the noun fish but we do not know if the verb to fish is the same (trying to think like a non English person).  Low priority since can we can use 'hunt fish'
judge (n or v) - more in the legal sense, 'I judge you to be guilty'.  Different from decide, but might be considered similar enough to put low priority.
sin/transgression/crime (n) - we know the Na'vi have crime, because they have punishment (the most severe of which is severing the queue, which is reserved for the worst crimes of all)
prey/petition/beg (v) - 'I beg the help of Eywa'
magic/sorcery/witchcraft (n) - The way that the gunships fly is probably consider magic/witchcraft to the Na'vi.  They probably have a word for this.

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

mjcarrier

Not to bad. About 950 words. 270 A's, 397 B's, 231 C's, and 40 with no designation. :)

wm.annis

Quote from: mjcarrier on March 10, 2010, 11:00:24 PMNot to bad. About 950 words. 270 A's, 397 B's, 231 C's, and 40 with no designation. :)

We're not that well-off, actually, at least on the wiki side.  Many word entries have multiple definitions (as Karyu Pawl requested).  There is an entry for each of the offered senses of an entry, so long as they are separated by commas.  The actual entry count (A+B+C) is 619, which is still not bad.  There are still plenty of words in the forum to get shifted over though, so I am no longer worried we won't get a decent number of words out by Friday.

Na'righawnu and Lance R. Casey have done a lot of work getting words from the forum into the wiki.

Skyinou

Kaltxì!
Can "fpi" introduce a clause, or only a word?
1) "I eat fpi being well"
2) "I did it fpi me"
Are both possible or the first one have to be "fte"? If 1 is correct, does it cause lenition?
Let's rock with The Tanners!

wm.annis

Quote from: Skyinou on March 12, 2010, 02:19:30 AM
2) "I did it fpi me"

Adpositions go with nouns and pronouns only.  I think your fte impulse is the better way to go for the first one.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Skyinou on March 12, 2010, 02:19:30 AM
Kaltxì!
2) "I did it fpi me"
Are both possible or the first one have to be "fte"? If 1 is correct, does it cause lenition?

I've wondered similar things about mungwrr...

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!