family, other relations

Started by Kì'eyawn, March 03, 2010, 07:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kì'eyawn

enemy -- we have friend, after all

And then, i don't know that Karyu Pawl will be able to answer this without James Cameron's help, but i'd like to know more family words for Na'vi--we have the basics, mother/father, brother/sister, son/daughter...  But many cultures--especially ones with a strong emphasis on clan structure--have many words for siblings (e.g., differentiating older brother vs. younger brother), lots and lots of different words for aunt and uncle (e.g., father's older brother, father's younger brother, mother's older brother, mother's younger brother...).  Cousins?

Is there a master/apprentice relationship among the Na'vi--particularly between the Olo'eyktan/Tsahìk and the people who will ultimately take their place (so, for example, is there a word for the relationship between Eytukan and Tsu'tey)?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Skxawng

So looking through the wiki list for family, we're missing some stuff.

Aunt

Uncle

Neice, Nephew - one root word needed, gender suffix will take care of the rest

Granddaughter / Grandson

Grandfather / Grandmother

Great-Grandfather / Great-Grandmother

Cousin

Stranger - A person of unknown origin - as in meeting someone in the forest you don't know, as opposed to 'alien'

Godfather - Should the father die, the secondary-father

Godmother - Should the mother die, the secondary-mother

Nanny

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Makxarrios

Quote from: Skxawng on March 08, 2010, 09:52:38 PM

Aunt

Uncle

Granddaughter / Grandson

Cousin

Stranger - A person of unknown origin - as in meeting someone in the forest you don't know, as opposed to 'alien'

Nanny

In Chinese, we have a different name for the parents of mother and the parents of father.
the differece is actually adding a "外"(as a prefix, i think) in front of "grandpa" or "grandma"
the meaning of "外" is something like "outer". and we add the "outer" for parents of mother. for parents of father, just grandpa and grandma.

There's so much other difference between the western and chinese. if you want to know plz ask me and i'll explain to you if i know about that.

Carborundum

Lots of languages distinguish between maternal and paternal grandparents. Swedish does, and for once the system is super simple. Maternal grandmother is "mormor", literally mother-mother, paternal grandmother is "farmor", father-mother. And on it goes.
(The simplicity of this system is balanced by our ridiculously complex cousin system, with every step of the cousin-ladder having it's very own, completely irrational word)
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Kì'eyawn

Turkish does this also, taking it to the extreme:  Turkish differentiates between maternal/paternal aunts and uncles, and then differentiates between people who are aunts/uncles by blood (i.e., your parents' siblings) and aunts/uncles who are the spouses of blood relatives--and, then, i think it also still differentiates between maternal and paternal.

If that sounds as confusing as is to me reading it, examples might be in order:
Father's brother
Father's sister
Father's brother's wife
Father's sister's husband
Mother's brother
Mother's sister
Mother's brother's wife
Mother's sister's husband

If any Turkish-speakers want to add to or correct this, please feel free.  I don't have a solid grasp on all the different familial distinctions Turkish makes.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Terìran Tawka

Maybe a word describing close relationship (not necessarily within the family)?

close to sbd – intimate, important (adjective)
You are not on Pandora anymore. You are on Earth, ladies and gentlemen.
pamrel si nìna'vi ro [email protected] :)

'eylan na'viyä

kinsman

orphan - na'vi or animal or both
adopt - adopt an orphan

tsrräfkxätu

I guess these belong here.

B list:
to be pregnant, to be with child
to give birth, to have a baby (could be the same verb as yield fruit – that would be so Na'vi)
to be born, to come to the world
a baby, a newborn

C list:
to beget, to sire
a fetus, an unborn child
to carry a child in the womb*
to nurse, to breastfeed*
to nurse, to suckle*
the breast milk, the mother's milk*

* These might not be applicable.
párolt zöldség — muntxa fkxen  

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Skxawng on March 08, 2010, 09:52:38 PM

Aunt

Uncle

Granddaughter / Grandson

Cousin

Nanny

Neytiri called the last Toruk Makto - My Grandfather's Grandfather.  There maybe a need for a clear root for grandfather's and grandmothers as a plot element in the continuing story of the films.  This would be a great word to have.  I think the priority should be A list.
私は太った男だ。

Diegetes

I'm adding three words which, I hope, might be connected with Na'vi tribal system.

Hunting team/unit (n.) – Na'vi probably can hunt in group. Firstly I was thinking about the word that would refer to their numbers (something like Roman centuria). They would divide themselves in eights, sixteens etc. But I recalled tsampongu and I've constructed *tìtaronpongu (>*tìtarompongu). I doubt if it's correct.

Ally
(v.) Na'vi clans allied with each other.
(n.) Ancient Greek has σύμμαχος – "someone who fights together with you", "brother in arm" ;). Συμμαχία then means alliance, "fighting together".
Lamu oeru unil a leiu Na'vi oe. Ke Tsetay. Ke new oe Tsetay livängu ta set.

Utrayä Mokri

Quote from: tigermind on March 09, 2010, 09:09:38 AM
Turkish does this also, taking it to the extreme:  Turkish differentiates between maternal/paternal aunts and uncles, and then differentiates between people who are aunts/uncles by blood (i.e., your parents' siblings) and aunts/uncles who are the spouses of blood relatives--and, then, i think it also still differentiates between maternal and paternal.

Father's brother
Father's sister
Father's brother's wife
Mother's brother
Mother's sister
Mother's brother's wife

If any Turkish-speakers want to add to or correct this, please feel free.  I don't have a solid grasp on all the different familial distinctions Turkish makes.

As a native Turkish speaker, i can say that is totally true. We have different names for maternal and paternal relatives.

They are:
"Anne" for Mother,
"Baba" for Father,
"Amca" for Father's brother
"Hala" for Father's sister
"Dayı" for Mother's brother
"Teyze" for Mother's sister
"Yenge" for Mother's brother's wife and Father's brother's wife
"Enişte" for Mother's sister's husband and Father's sister's husband
"Gelin" for son's wife,
"Damat" for daughter's husband,

Also:

"Babaanne" for Father's mother
"Anneanne" for Mother's mother
"Dede" for Mother's and Father's father,
"Torun" for child of a child (grandchild)
"Kaynana or Kayınvalide" for husband's or wife's mother,
"Kaynata or Kayınbaba" for husband's or wife's father,
"Kayınbirader" for husband's or wife's brother,
"Kuzen" for cousin (i think it's loaned from Eng.)
"Birader" for brother (i think this is loaned from Eng. too) (also it is using in general too, like Yo! Brotha)
"Bacı" for sister, (also it is using in general too, like Yo! Sista)
"Ağabey" for big brother,
"Abla" for big sister,
"Kardeş" for little brother and sister,
"Kayın" for husband's brother,
"Görümce" for husband's sister,
"Kayınço" for wife's brother,
"Baldız" for wife's sister,

Let's make it more complicated :)

"Elti": Two brother's wifes are "ELTİs" of eachother.
"Bacanak": Two sister's husbands are "BACANAKs" of eachother.

Merhaba! Hello! Mae Govannen! Kaltxì!

Oel tsati omum nìngay san Utral Aymokriyä sìk, slä oe zamup mì tìyawn plltxea Neytiriyä na san Utrayä Mokri sìk.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Utrayä Mokri on March 11, 2010, 11:59:48 PM
Quote from: tigermind on March 09, 2010, 09:09:38 AM
Turkish does this also, taking it to the extreme:  Turkish differentiates between maternal/paternal aunts and uncles, and then differentiates between people who are aunts/uncles by blood (i.e., your parents' siblings) and aunts/uncles who are the spouses of blood relatives--and, then, i think it also still differentiates between maternal and paternal.

Father's brother
Father's sister
Father's brother's wife
Mother's brother
Mother's sister
Mother's brother's wife

If any Turkish-speakers want to add to or correct this, please feel free.  I don't have a solid grasp on all the different familial distinctions Turkish makes.

As a native Turkish speaker, i can say that is totally true. We have different names for maternal and paternal relatives.

They are:
"Anne" for Mother, = sa'nok
"Baba" for Father, = sempu

"Amca" for Father's brother
"Hala" for Father's sister
"Dayı" for Mother's brother
"Teyze" for Mother's sister

"Yenge" for Mother's brother's wife and Father's brother's wife
"Enişte" for Mother's sister's husband and Father's sister's husband
"Gelin" for son's wife,
"Damat" for daughter's husband,

Also:

"Babaanne" for Father's mother
"Anneanne" for Mother's mother
"Dede" for Mother's and Father's father,
"Torun" for child of a child (grandchild)
"Kaynana or Kayınvalide" for husband's or wife's mother,
"Kaynata or Kayınbaba" for husband's or wife's father,

"Kayınbirader" for husband's or wife's brother,
"Kuzen" for cousin (i think it's loaned from Eng.)

"Birader" for brother (i think this is loaned from Eng. too) (also it is using in general too, like Yo! Brotha) = smukan
"Bacı" for sister, (also it is using in general too, like Yo! Sista) = smuke

"Ağabey" for big brother,
"Abla" for big sister,
"Kardeş" for little brother and sister,
"Kayın" for husband's brother,
"Görümce" for husband's sister,
"Kayınço" for wife's brother,
"Baldız" for wife's sister,

Let's make it more complicated :)

"Elti": Two brother's wifes are "ELTİs" of each other.
"Bacanak": Two sister's husbands are "BACANAKs" of each other.

That's all (i guess ;D. As a native Turkish speaker, it's really hard to keep all in mind. At least i can remember for those ;D)

I color coded those, overall, I think they are a good method to name Na'vi Family relations.  Some we have words for, more or less.
私は太った男だ。

Utrayä Mokri

Also, Türkçe's grammar is very similar to Na'vi grammar. Both have free word order. For example:
I am going to school = "Ben okula gidiyorum", "Okula gidiyorum ben" or "Gidiyorum okula ben" have same meanings.
Are you a teacher? = "Sen öğretmen misin?" or "Öğretmen misin sen?" are the same.

So, then maybe we can use the system in Turkish for creating new words like adding words to eachother.
For mother's mother we use Anneanne and for father's mother it's Babaanne.

Edit: Sempulsa'nu or Sempuläsa'nuand Sa'noksa'nu or Sa'nokäsa'nu. Sounds cool to me :D

Oel tsati omum nìngay san Utral Aymokriyä sìk, slä oe zamup mì tìyawn plltxea Neytiriyä na san Utrayä Mokri sìk.

wm.annis

This one seems like a "20 Questions" topic, really.  What sort of kinship system the Na'vi have must be a decision for Cameron, I think.

Utrayä Mokri

Kehe, kehe..

I was just thinking loud. It was not some kind of suggestion or decide anything. I was just doing brain storming. Na'vi doesn't need to be look like any languages after all.

Thanks.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: wm.annis on March 12, 2010, 07:39:59 AM
This one seems like a "20 Questions" topic, really.  What sort of kinship system the Na'vi have must be a decision for Cameron, I think.

Good idea.

Quote from: Utrayä Mokri on March 12, 2010, 10:17:18 AM
Kehe, kehe..

I was just thinking loud. It was not some kind of suggestion or decide anything. I was just doing brain storming. Na'vi doesn't need to be look like any languages after all.

Thanks.

I think it makes for a worthy question.  And if words come from it, it is prioritised.  ;D
私は太った男だ。