Generating Vocabulary (split from: Help from Polyglots)

Started by Prrton, March 04, 2010, 02:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prrton

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on March 05, 2010, 04:02:55 AM
i think i would be usefull to sum up this whole discussion about loanwords, deriving words, (bad) influences and the whole lì'fya leNa'vi mì 'Rrta thing and send it to Karyu Pawl to ask him what he thinks about it.

i dont know if we should send it with the vocabulary request or by other means but i think that's something that should be cleared before some speakers tend to cluster.

This is an excellent suggestion and I already did (about 5 hours ago). I'm hopeful that he'll get back to us by the weekend. Fingers crossed...  :P

Prrton

Quote from: tsrräfkxätu on March 05, 2010, 04:40:44 AM
Quote from: Prrton on March 05, 2010, 03:16:44 AM
Please allow me to explain my main reasoning for WANTING a Na'vi word for cat and dog, though, composed of morphemes that would be meaningful to the Na'vi if they were real.
Wait. You were talking about tools and devices, not animals. While household appliances can easily be named based on their purpose, animals are a wholly different matter. Not that you're going to be able to put cat together using morphemes for tail, claw, paw and fur. :D We'll still need a word for it from Frommer. (Until then, I'd go with miaw and wupx.)

I simply want an affix on miaw (but my version is rä'u (my cats are Siamese), or mäew (Thai) or mao (Mandarin) or nìyan (Japanese) and on wupwup that clarifies that they are "small-ish (optionally 'domesticated') animals" I've proposed «nay-» only as an example.

- nayrä'u
 - naywupwup

-naymä'ä'ämä'ä'ä (I'd be happy for these affixes to be different)
 -naynguknguk

I just want the nay- (or whatever it becomes) and as for the rest, well, in the words of the illustrious Mo'at (almost)... fkol paye'un fì'ut!

You don't have to be convinced, ma tsmuk. I'm not either. I'm just opinionated and stubborn. Very. But also cognisant of this fact, and will be very zen about the outcome one way or the other.