If you have time to type, you have time to search

Started by wm.annis, March 03, 2010, 05:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wm.annis

Many people are already suggesting words other people have already mentioned.

Please, I beg you, use the forum search near the top of the page, to see if someone has already made a suggestion.  If you are in the "Vocabulary Expansion" part of the forum, it will only search posts made in that sub-forum, so you won't have to spend your time on other discussions elsewhere in the forum.  Then, if the suggested word is missing some nuance you feel is important, comment there.

We're not going to get a nice, full word list if everyone keeps asking for "although", "moon" and "happy."

Will Txankamuse

just a suggestion, but might it be worth having a page on the wiki perhaps where the words could be collated, at first make it a 'free for all' perhaps using your topics as starting points - so people can post here for discussion and either copy to the wiki or get wikignomes to try and do it periodically, but as the closing date gets closer, perhaps a small committee of people can then have a go at starting to rank them using the list on the wiki as a starting point.

Just an idea, feel free to shoot it down... I'm not 100% convinced a wiki is better than a forum, but we won't know for sure until we try

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

omängum fra'uti

We actually tossed the wiki idea around, the problem is that you'd have people stepping on each others edits left and right.  A spreadsheet in Google docs was tossed around as well, but it can screw up with lots of collaborative editors.  A custom built web application would probably have worked well, but the time frame was a bit short.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Will Txankamuse

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 03, 2010, 08:43:39 PM
We actually tossed the wiki idea around, the problem is that you'd have people stepping on each others edits left and right.  A spreadsheet in Google docs was tossed around as well, but it can screw up with lots of collaborative editors.  A custom built web application would probably have worked well, but the time frame was a bit short.

yup that's all true - a wiki just allows people to help by just collating peoples posts - right now I'm reading all the posts, seeing lots of good stuff, but finding it hard to see the gaps I'd like to fill (I simply can't hold that many words in my head).

Wikipedia copes with many people editing at the same time, and by splitting the page into sections (using the suggested topics) , then each section could be edited individually perhaps

Anyway, I'm not enamored with the idea enough to push for it, I'll keep reading the threads here :)

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

After this first list gets sent off to Karyu Pawl we'll have plenty of time to create a better way of handling similar things in the future.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

wm.annis

There will be a wiki involvement, but the lists will be managed by the editors, not the free-for-all that's going on here.

I'm still waiting on info from Karyu Pawl before getting certain processes set in stone.