My few suggestions

Started by Tsway'eion, March 03, 2010, 02:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsway'eion

These are just some things i said on the IRC.

Other words than Skxawng to call someone.
-we use Jerk... and Moron... Stupid... Idiot... among others.  words that close friends and or acquaintances wouldn't take as offensively. but you wouldn't say these words to someone you just met on the street, unless they spilled coffee all over you.

Idioms
These are harder to come up with, and create, but i think they are important when learning a new language to know a few of these. I've noticed that i use a lot of different idioms in my regular day to day life. But Idioms allow for cultural refrences to appear in the language, and makes it more entertaining to read and understand.
:A Piece of Cake
:Bite your tongue or Hold your tongue
:Once upon a blue moon
Etc...

note that i'm NOT saying to translate English idioms, but, I think we should work on some more Na'vi related ones.

Seasons
- my suggestions: Dry Season, Cold Season, Wet Season, 'Dangerous' Season

Natural Disasters
- Volcanic eruptions, Large forest fires, floods, earthquakes, deathrays, alien invasions... etc.

Technology/machine
-(i think these things could pass as ayvrrtep at the  present moment, but they were taught about Doctors and Gunships so would they have learned about the general idea of technology?)

-

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: Tsway'eion on March 03, 2010, 02:50:55 AM
Natural Disasters
deathrays, alien invasions
Interesting classification! ;D

Regarding technology, Prrton mentioned eltu lefngap metallic brain here, together with the comment "'computer' Already codified. He *loved* it.". Should we take it, then, that this is a canon term?

// Lance R. Casey

omängum fra'uti

Technology/machine
-(i think these things could pass as ayvrrtep at the  present moment, but they were taught about Doctors and Gunships so would they have learned about the general idea of technology?)
To be fair, I'm PRETTY sure that the "toktor" they have is not a medical person (Which they would likely have a term for... Speaking of which...  Heal / healer) but rather it is the title, as in "Doctor Grace".
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Tsway'eion

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 03, 2010, 08:47:28 PM
Technology/machine
To be fair, I'm PRETTY sure that the "toktor" they have is not a medical person (Which they would likely have a term for... Speaking of which...  Heal / healer) but rather it is the title, as in "Doctor Grace".

That makes sense, and i was only trying to use it as an example.