My Pressed-For-Time vocabulary list

Started by Rain, March 09, 2010, 07:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain

I don't have the time at this moment to double-check which words have already ben listed but I was brainstorming the other day and here are some ridiculously long lists of words I came up with that we/I need:
L1. medicine, health (heal, healer), treat (as in treat an illness) illness, sick, hurt, pain, lame (injured, injury), broken/break, disease, infection
L2. ritual, magic, trick, talent, witch/magician
L3. black, white, grey, brown, green, orange, red, purple
L4. jewelry/decoration, clothing
L5. sit, lie (down), lay (down), up, down, left, right, sideways, under, over, top, bottom, inside
L6. play (as in a game) and play (as in an instrument) (also words for games and instruments)
L7. feather/flower/stem/stick/petal
L8. trade/exchange/share/ words that relate to making deals or negotiating
L9. words like "mutual, context, communicate, idea, dominant, forth, reason, logic, legitimate, connect, emotion"
L10. draw (art) and draw (as in draw a bow) and draw (as in draw water)
L11. baby/birth/pregnant/pregnancy ("expecting") and possibly the word for "sex"

Message me at any time to ask for clarification if needed!
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Rain

beauty, trust, justice, annoy/bother/trouble, fix/repair, apply/remove, locate/location, spread, punish/punishment/reward, argue, change, control, sleep/rest, drink, new/novel/unusual, adult/mature, deal (with), success/acheivement/failure, guess/suppose/estimate, way/method, intelligent/intelligence/stupid/stupidity, job/occupation/specialty, bored ("I'm bored!"), interest/interested/interesting, high/low, impede, obey/disobey, age, show/display, fun/not fun, expect/require, opportunity, contain/container/containing/contained, self, shapes (round, square, triangular, etc), let/allow/permit, happen/occur, think/thought, believe, survive/survival/survivor, for (for him/her), offer, forget, poke (very important for FaceBookers ;D) and of course, poo.

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Rain,
    You have some wonderful word suggestions here. I hope you don't mind if I organized these better for you. They will need to be categorized before they will likely be accepted by those building the master lists. If a word appears in parenthesis, that means it is in the 'official' dictionary, or has already been suggested.

(beauty) - tìlor
(trust)
(justice)
annoy/bother/trouble - 'annoyed' is listed, which is a adjective. This use is verb, and IMHO
     should be the root definition. (B)
(fix/repair)
apply - 'Lets apply a dressing to that wound'. (B)
(remove)
locate -'She could not locate the yerik she had shot'. (B) (This word and the next one may
     have a common root.)
location - 'The tree was not a good location for a new home'. (B)
(spread) - virä
(punish)
(punishment)
reward - 'You got this push-fruit as a reward for finding my bow'. (B)
(argue)
(change) - latem
(control)
(sleep) - hahaw
rest - 'Let's stop and get some rest'. (A)
drink - Good catch! 'Let me get a drink of water'. (A)
(new) - mip
novel -'That was a novel idea, Neyteri'. (B)
unusual - 'Do you hear that unusual noise?' (B)
(adult)
(mature)
deal (with) - 'I will deal with that situation later'. (B)
(success) - different form of flä - succeed
achievement - 'That was quite an achievement'. (B)
failure - 'Don't consider missing a strumbeest on your first hunt, a failure'. (A)
(guess)
suppose - 'I suppose you remembered to bring the arrow-poison'. (B)
(estimate)
(way) - fya`o
method - 'His method of finding game was remarkable'. (B)
(intelligent)
(intelligence)
(stupid) skxwang?
(stupidity) variant of above
(job)
occupation - "I do not currently have an occupation since they destroyed hometree'
specialty - "Nu`hu has basket weaving as a specialty'. (B)
bored ("I'm bored!") - Self explanatory. (B)
(interest))
(interested)
(interesting)
high - 'The Ikran live high up in the thundering mountains'. (A)
(low)
(impede)
(obey)
(disobey)
age - (May need input from JC) 'What is your age?' 'We are entering a new age of freedom
     from the tawtutes!' (C)
(show) - wìntxu
display - 'The meteor shower put on quite a display' 'He displayed the beautiful rock he
    had found'. (C)
fun - 'The Na`vi children had fun every day'. (A)
not/no fun - 'Standing watch at night was not fun'. (C, or is just a negation of 'fun' needed?)
(expect) - root of 'expected', which is on the list. This is the word that actually should be
    on the list. (B)
(require)
(opportunity)
(contain)
(container)
(containing) - derived from 'contain'.
(contained) - derived from 'contain'.
(self)
shapes (round, square, triangular, etc) - There is a whole thread for this topic, and I am going
    to suggest these and other shapes with credit to you. (round has already been suggested)
    http://forum.learnnavi.org/vocabulary-expansion/txele-geometry/
let -'Let jakesully try it!' (B)
(allow) - tung
permit - Very close to 'allow'  'Tsu`tse did not permit him to do that'. (B)
happen - 'Unfortunately the singing they had planned did not happen'. (B)
occur - 'The storm that the priestess was predicting did occur'. (B)
(think) - fpìl
(thought) -  past tense of 'think'.
(believe) - spaw
(survive) - The next two words are probably derivatives of 'survive'.
survival - 'Their chances of survival were small'. (B)
survivor - 'He was the lone survivor when lightning struck his family-tree'. (B)
for (for him/her) This is a questionable one, and functions like the topic marker -ri ot -iri. (C)
(offer)
(forget)
poke - 'The `eveng got a dirty look from the elder when he poked fun at him'. (B)
poo - suggested elsewhere (by me, as 'crap' or 'feces'), but I will leave it. (B)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Rain

Actually, this is fantastically helpful! Irayo!

wm.annis

Note to editors — I will deal with enwikifying this one.

wm.annis

Ma `Eylan Ayfalulukanä, thanks for sorting and commenting these.

A few of the ones you didn't mark were actually also in the list (the wiki words summary page only gets updated when I run a script), but there were a few gems in this list I've added ("apply" and "deal with" especially).

I've left out a few others because we already have words of the same basic meaning (like "place" for "location", "find" for "locate").  Na'vi might get such words in the future, but we're trying to focus right now on words for which there is no suitable Na'vi word yet.

NeotrekkerZ

Given Rain's thread title, I thought I'd include the following here:

Since/for/ago
I have wanted to learn Na'vi since I first heard it spoken.
I have wanted to master Na'vi for awhile(or some unit of time) now.
Almost three months ago I saw avatar for the first time.

And perhaps a particle for why not?
A:  Do you want to go riding?
B:  Why not?  I'm not doing anything else right now.  Let's go!
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

Rain

My other words that I seem to need often are "have/has/had", now that I think about them.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Rain on March 11, 2010, 03:34:04 PM
My other words that I seem to need often are "have/has/had", now that I think about them.

Those are represented with existing tense, genitives and datives AFAIK.
私は太った男だ。

wm.annis

Quote from: Rain on March 11, 2010, 03:34:04 PMMy other words that I seem to need often are "have/has/had", now that I think about them.

This concept is expressed with an idiom, "I have X" is "there is an X to/for me," using the dative.

Lu oeru ikran I have an ikran.

Frommer says that in this construction lu will usually be at the head of the clause.

Rain

What about "I have hunted hexapede (before today)" or "He does not have to know"? Almost in a past/present tense and not so much as posession, if you get at my meaning. If not, I can clarify.

Other sample sentences:
He has tamed an Ikran
She had to stop him before he did something crazy
They must have gone somewhere

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Rain on March 11, 2010, 10:56:53 PM
What about "I have hunted hexapede (before today)" or "He does not have to know"? Almost in a past/present tense and not so much as posession, if you get at my meaning. If not, I can clarify.

Other sample sentences:
He has tamed an Ikran

Tense is placed inside LU with infixes, and he, she, they are handled with pronouns we already have. 

私は太った男だ。

Rain

Quote from: Txur'Itan on March 11, 2010, 11:21:47 PM
Quote from: Rain on March 11, 2010, 10:56:53 PM

Other sample sentences:
He has tamed an Ikran

Tense is placed inside LU with infixes, and he, she, they are handled with pronouns we already have. 

Oh, so it would be lolu for has and had and lu for the present tense have? Do correct me if I am wrong, of course.

NeotrekkerZ

QuoteWhat about "I have hunted hexapede (before today)" or "He does not have to know"? Almost in a past/present tense and not so much as posession, if you get at my meaning. If not, I can clarify.

It depends on your point of view.  If your focus is on in the present moment, then "had" would be lamu.  If your focus is in the past and you wanted to say "had" it would be lolu.  If this is confusing just stick to lamu.  "Has" is present tense so just lu.

For "He does not have to know" it's not really a possession thing.  What you're saying really is "He does not need to know" in which case it's Po ke tsun ivomum.

Extra practice:  "He has to go"

Here has is really must, "He must go" so Po zene kivä.

Rain

This is gradually becoming clearer for me. Irayo fpi sramung oe kivameie. Right now my hardest task is learning all the tenses, because they appear to have changed recently, am I wrong or am I just slow to notice?
Irayo, niwotx frapo.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Rain on March 12, 2010, 12:24:53 AM
This is gradually becoming clearer for me. Irayo fpi sramung oe kivameie. Right now my hardest task is learning all the tenses, because they appear to have changed recently, am I wrong or am I just slow to notice?
Irayo, niwotx frapo.

The tenses have been getting better clarified all of the time, but they have been more or less the same as when Frommer created them.
私は太った男だ。

Rain

Good. It's hard enough to keep track of my REAL homework lol. Anyway, thanks for the help and I'm glad I just now downloaded the updated version of the handbook.

Quick thoughts about needed words:
retreive as in getting information from the World Wide Tsahaylu
a word like download and upload for adding adding and getting information from Eywa and aypizayu.

NeotrekkerZ

QuoteThe tenses have been getting better clarified all of the time

I agree.  I didn't really understand ol vs. am till about a week ago and only then because of a fantastic post somewhere that I can no longer remember.

Your sentence falls somewhat in a gray area of our knowledge:  there is debate about the -ing form of verbs, we really need more examples/clarification.  The easiest fix around it that I can think of right now would be

Irayo fpi ngeyä srung
Thanks for your help.

Na'rìghawnu

'eylan na'viyä

useful/helping
:your idea <helped> me a lot
:this tool is <useful> for our clan

senseful/right/intelligent
:first everyone agreed it was a good decision but it turned out that we all have overseen something obvious. so the decision was neither good nor <senseful>
:first everyone agreed it was a good decision but we had no luck at all. so the decision was not good but <i would do it the same way again> (senseful from the past perspective)

meaningful/of great importantance - has a meaning by itself; important without an obvious reason
:every living being is <meaingful> for the forest and for itself
:it is <important> that you MAKE this momentous decision

affecting noninvolved persons/things
:remember your actions are <word>. if you are careless that would be risky for us too.
:it can be very <word> when you wipe out "only" one species.