The survival guide: (Channeling Sam Beckett) Setting right what once went wrong.

Started by omängum fra'uti, March 03, 2010, 10:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omängum fra'uti

So.....  The Activist Survival Guide has all sorts of interesting tidbits on Na'vi culture and life...

And they they blew it all by putting these horrible HORRIBLE H O R R I B L E ...  I can't even bring myself to call them attempts at Na'vi words.

So....

Baby carrier (Hide staps to hold the baby close to the mother or fother's body)
Bladder lantern (Stomachs or other internal organs, sewn up and coated in nectar to attract glowing insects - Meaning given as "Foot here")
Blue flute (Goes without saying...  The artifact from which the blue flute clan draws their name...  The given word includes "Omati")
Hammocks (Woven, typically of beanstalk palm - Given meaning of the name is "Eywa cradles everyone")
Loom (Simple framework secured to hometree, then to the ground with a simple crank system)
Fire pit
Leaf plate (Formed with animal shells and bones, etc into the shape of a shallow basket)
Personal belongings rack (Carved of hardwood and decorated in a tribal manner)
Stone jar (Used in ceremonies such as the dream hunt, to contain a small toxic arachnid)
Banshee queue harness (Woven plant fiber and/or leather to keep the banshee queue in a good position for flying)
Toy banshee (Woven representation of a banshee for children as a play thing)
Direhorse leads (Woven leads for direhorses, though looping around their face rather than using a bit - given meaning of "Face pull")
Shields (Wooden/woven, with various decorations)
Pendulum drum (Drums tied to a tree where Na'vi then ride a huge log to strike it)
Food wraps (Edible leaves and vines used to wrap various foods)
Banshee catcher (The half bolo with a sticky back used to keep banshees mouths from getting in the way of being captured.)
Baskets
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Kayrìlien

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 03, 2010, 10:34:40 PM
And they they blew it all by putting these horrible HORRIBLE H O R R I B L E ...  I can't even bring myself to call them attempts at Na'vi words.

What, you don't like b's, j's, three glottal stops per word, and illegal digraphs? Perhaps a q or two? No?

Good, you're a real Na'vi now!

Kayrìlien

omängum fra'uti

Don't forget glottal stops between consonants, and words for every day items that are a serious mouthful.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 03, 2010, 10:45:14 PM
Don't forget glottal stops between consonants, and words for every day items that are a serious mouthful.

Now that I have had a recently much closer look at English...  We could probably use the stop symbols in our ,allfabxet'.

The Translation for the Tree of souls would be nice to have.

私は太った男だ。

Keylstxatsmen

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 03, 2010, 10:34:40 PM
So.....  The Activist Survival Guide has all sorts of interesting tidbits on Na'vi culture and life...

So....

Baby carrier (Hide staps to hold the baby close to the mother or fother's body)
Bladder lantern (Stomachs or other internal organs, sewn up and coated in nectar to attract glowing insects - Meaning given as "Foot here")
Blue flute (Goes without saying...  The artifact from which the blue flute clan draws their name...  The given word includes "Omati")
Hammocks (Woven, typically of beanstalk palm - Given meaning of the name is "Eywa cradles everyone")
Loom (Simple framework secured to hometree, then to the ground with a simple crank system)
Fire pit
Leaf plate (Formed with animal shells and bones, etc into the shape of a shallow basket)
Personal belongings rack (Carved of hardwood and decorated in a tribal manner)
Stone jar (Used in ceremonies such as the dream hunt, to contain a small toxic arachnid)
Banshee queue harness (Woven plant fiber and/or leather to keep the banshee queue in a good position for flying)
Toy banshee (Woven representation of a banshee for children as a play thing)
Direhorse leads (Woven leads for direhorses, though looping around their face rather than using a bit - given meaning of "Face pull")
Shields (Wooden/woven, with various decorations)
Pendulum drum (Drums tied to a tree where Na'vi then ride a huge log to strike it)
Food wraps (Edible leaves and vines used to wrap various foods)
Banshee catcher (The half bolo with a sticky back used to keep banshees mouths from getting in the way of being captured.)
Baskets

What IS this story on this anyway?  Some intern making things up?

-Keyl
Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

omängum fra'uti

Don't know the details, just that Frommer did not have a hand in it, or even knowledge that it was being made.  So even some of the Na'vi words are of questionable accuracy potentially  We already know a couple which were listed as "A type of fruit or vegetable" (A nice generic name) now have actual meanings.  Specifically kxener (Smoke) and kì'ong (Slow - nìk'ong slowly)

Na'rìghawnu

It seems, that these things are invented by Cameron and his team. They partly also appear in the big picture-book about the making of of the film. As far as I understood, Cameron spend really much effort in inventing a real "culture"-background for the Na'vi (and he demanded much input from his team, especially the artists), so that all the things shown in the ASG (and certainly much more) are really part of the Na'vi-culture and did appear in the movie or most likely will appear in the sequels. I think, we should consider this things as indigenous pieces of the Na'vi-culture ... and it would certainly help, to now "real" Na'vi-names for them, since I suppose, that the given one's are Camerons creations too (partly/mostly created, before Dr. Frommer was hired at all).

omängum fra'uti

Come to think of it, maybe this should be part of the 20 questions...  It would probably be something to do with Cameron's input.

HTML_Earth

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 04, 2010, 03:45:55 AM
Don't know the details, just that Frommer did not have a hand in it, or even knowledge that it was being made.  So even some of the Na'vi words are of questionable accuracy potentially  We already know a couple which were listed as "A type of fruit or vegetable" (A nice generic name) now have actual meanings.  Specifically kxener (Smoke) and kì'ong (Slow - nìk'ong slowly)

Where did that come from?

Also, if true then: Prrkxentrrkrr

omängum fra'uti

I think it's one of those things that was floating around in a Frommer email but hasn't been posted somewhere yet.  It was around the same time as kì'ong.

Skyinou

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 04, 2010, 04:45:16 AM
Come to think of it, maybe this should be part of the 20 questions...  It would probably be something to do with Cameron's input.
Yes, I agree, but there is maybe one problem. Maybe he will not really like that we doubt his names, if it is him who chose them. We already have some examples where he said to Frommer: no, that will be that way, even if it is not correct, I want it that way.
So we have to be very careful with these kind of question, if we want to "persuade" him to answer ;D
Let's rock with The Tanners!