Txele : Locations

Started by 'eylan na'viyä, March 04, 2010, 02:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'eylan na'viyä

cave/room/"a place with only 1 open side"

unknown, unfamiliar land/place

(E)a place from where someone operates, observation point, meeting point, reference point, Staging Point (D)ausgangspunkt, aussichtspunkt, Treffpunkt, Referenzpunkt

path/way/passage(something you think about before trying to get to a location) eg: a way over some roots, the floor, over a river
or a corridor in the forest where you can fly with an ikran

a traveled route/
path/trail on a surface (caused by something eg: walking there first)/animal path/Beaten Path
trace, lead, hint, scent (D)fährte there is already the verb "sutx" wich might cover that
wich of these suggestions make(s) sense depends on the exact meaning of "fya'o"

Alìm Tsamsiyu

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on March 04, 2010, 02:53:58 PM
(E)a place from where someone operates, observation point, meeting point, reference point[/color]

I'm not sure of the direct translation for the Deutsche words you put up (I imagine fairly direct to the English list) but the English term it sounds like you're shooting for is "Staging Point." (Although, this is more commonly used for military operations.)

"Trace" might be summed up with sutx

wich of these suggestions make(s) sense depends on the exact meaning of "fya'o"
Yes, it would seem many of those would be variations on the fya root.

Several of your suggestions might be encompassed by "Fya'o leomum" - "Known path"
But, that wouldn't be quite as distinct as some of those.

path/trail on a surface (caused by something eg: walking there first)[/color]
Sounds like you're referring to what English knows as "Beaten path" - commonly found in the saying "Off the beaten path."
Basically, a path that has been formed by way of excessive use, gradually "beating" down anything growing there until it's just dirt.
In the popular adage I referenced, it's usually conceptual, and means "the way everybody goes/does something" or "the normal way of doing things."

I'm not sure if we can come up with a Na'vi version for that, but it might be possible... I somehow doubt there'd be a unique word for it (but who knows!).  My best guess would be something based around tengfya.
Oeyä ayswizawri tswayon alìm ulte takuk nìngay.
My arrows fly far and strike true.

'eylan na'viyä

Thanks,
it wasnt easy to find the right words to describe what i was thinking about.
i changed some things in my post.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Alìm Tsamsiyu on March 04, 2010, 03:14:34 PM
Sounds like you're referring to what English knows as "Beaten path" - commonly found in the saying "Off the beaten path."
Basically, a path that has been formed by way of excessive use, gradually "beating" down anything growing there until it's just dirt.
In the popular adage I referenced, it's usually conceptual, and means "the way everybody goes/does something" or "the normal way of doing things."

I'm not sure if we can come up with a Na'vi version for that, but it might be possible... I somehow doubt there'd be a unique word for it (but who knows!).  My best guess would be something based around tengfya.

I apologize that this is a bit of a tangent, but this reminds me:  We need some Na'vi metaphors--or, at the very least, explanations of how known words can be used in metaphorical ways.  What would it mean if one Na'vi called another a nantang or a pa'li
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

'eylan na'viyä

Quote from: tigermind on March 04, 2010, 03:54:37 PM
I apologize that this is a bit of a tangent, but this reminds me:  We need some Na'vi metaphors--or, at the very least, explanations of how known words can be used in metaphorical ways.  What would it mean if one Na'vi called another a nantang or a pa'li

thats an important and intersting point. it might be worth opening a new topic but maybe not in the vocabulary-expansion section.
i think there are many words that require a detailed explanation in wich situations it is used, in combination with wich other words, how common it is, associations, ...

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on March 04, 2010, 04:10:51 PM
Quote from: tigermind on March 04, 2010, 03:54:37 PM

thats an important and intersting point. it might be worth opening a new topic but maybe not in the vocabulary-expansion section.
i think there are many words that require a detailed explanation in wich situations it is used, in combination with wich other words, how common it is, associations, ...

I do think it's not a pressing matter for the vocab expansion list Karyu Pawl wants from us in the coming days; but yes, i would like to go back over many of the words we already have and get a sense of what their metaphorical interpretations might be, nuances of connotation, etc.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...