Topic: Time

Started by Makxarrios, March 03, 2010, 06:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nìkllas

I think there are at least 3 main courses for this.

As you seem to have pointed out, germanic languages tend to prefer "to be.... years old" (german: ich bin; english: I am), while romances tend to prefer "to have... years" (french: j' ai; spanish: tengo). Other options also are, for example "I have turned ... years", and following this "I will turn ... years this week".

So one of these options could be used. I think the third one to be the best in this case... but hey! that's just taste.

Lance R. Casey

In Swedish you usually say, "jag är X [år [gammal]]" ("I am X [years [old]]"), but when you're referring to the "act" of increasing your age by one full year, which happens every birthday, you either use the verb "bli" ("become"), or "fylla" ("fill"): "jag fyller X år på tisdag" ("I'll be X years old this Tuesday").

(Also, for those who may be interested, that last sentence demonstrates the common Swedish use of the present tense to indicate known future events.)

In Klingon, you say X ben jIboghpu' I was born X years ago.

// Lance R. Casey

'eylan na'viyä

Maybe you could say:  :)
k(er)ame oeti Xa zìsìt

Hawnuyu atxen

Well, i just came across a problem, and find out, that we don't have already/yet... i think that'd worth to be a C class word...
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Hawnuyu atxen on March 08, 2010, 10:50:15 AM
Well, i just came across a problem, and find out, that we don't have already/yet... i think that'd worth to be a C class word...

I was under the impression that "ke [verb] vay set" (lit. "not until now") had the meaning of "yet," but i'm not certain.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Hawnuyu atxen

Well, i have to admit that i haven't seen it...
Shouldn't it be "vayset" (up until now) though?
But than already/up until now/yet... could someone decide whether to add theese to the list, or not?
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

roger

we have "not yet", but AFAIK not "already". That's an A level word if we don't have it.

wm.annis

Quote from: roger on March 08, 2010, 12:31:20 PMwe have "not yet", but AFAIK not "already". That's an A level word if we don't have it.

Others have mentioned it on other threads.  It's already on the wiki.

Kì'eyawn

Ma Hawnuyu atxen, this is from the Wikibook (under "adpositions"):

vay         =   "up to" (space or time)
vay set    =    up to now, still, (with a negative verb) not yet
vaykrr     =    until
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Alìm Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Erimeyz on March 06, 2010, 10:07:41 PM
Quote from: roger on March 06, 2010, 09:19:00 PM
As for seasons, there's the half the year w Kent (Alpha Centauri B) in the night sky, and half the year without. Those would be seasons.
Wikipedia suggests that Kent's presence in the nighttime sky would affect how dark the night got, but not affect climate or plant photosynthesis.  What we think of as seasons would be determined by the angle of Pandora's axial tilt relative to Polyphemus' ecliptic plane, plus the latitude on Pandora that the Na'vi inhabit.  Both the nighttime illumination "seasons" and the climatic seasons would have the same year-long cycle, but their maxima may not be synchronized (i.e. the time of brightest night could also be the shortest winter day, the longest summer day, or anywhere in beetween).

- Eri

The only issue I take with that reference to Wikipedia is that it is labeled as "View_from_a_hypothetical_planet," and Pandora, as we all know, is a moon orbiting a gas giant, and as such the seasons/view from their world would experience many differences.
Oeyä ayswizawri tswayon alìm ulte takuk nìngay.
My arrows fly far and strike true.

'eylan na'viyä

having done something at least once in your live(verb)
#Have you ever been flying with an ikran?
#I have never been to Pandora in my live

Keylstxatsmen

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on March 09, 2010, 02:53:30 PM
having done something at least once in your live(verb)
#Have you ever been flying with an ikran?
#I have never been to Pandora in my live

Even though this is more of a grammar point I would suggest the word "experience", noun and verb both.  That way you could say lu oeru [experience] a oe tswayon fa ikran. or Oel [experienced] futa (oe) tswayon fa ikran. 

The first is similar to a way Japanese states: "I have done X".

私はイクランで飛んだ事がある。
watashi-wa ikuran-de tonda-koto-ga aru.
I-TOP Ikran-BY Flew-experience-SUB is.

-Keyl

Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

'eylan na'viyä

simultaneously

just in time

too late

temporaly catching up

time is running out

time is on ones side

patient impatient has been suggested already here http://forum.learnnavi.org/vocabulary-expansion/topic-feelings/msg131836/#msg131836
but it might have a different root and the meaning could be less emotional

catch up on/for

Na'rìghawnu