"Wewa Pay" ...but is it enough?

Started by Swoka Swizaw, April 11, 2010, 09:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Swizaw

First off, I am sure that this is NOT the correct place to put this topic, as it's more noval than informative about anything, but may provide an idea about how the Na'vi define off-world concepts. (And the "vocabulary" page is bleak and dead.)

Anyway, how do you all think that Na'vi might define "snow?" We have words for "water," and "cold," but nothing for "to freeze" or "frozen," which with a relatively limited corpus is understandable. Of course, does that, then, mean that Frommer will once again pull back the veil to the other dimension and See Eywa'eveng with a flurry of white stuff? I don't think so...but who knows what Cameron, too, will derive.

Much ado aside, can we define "snow" with the resources that exist on Pandora?

wm.annis

We had "ice" but not "snow" on the list.  Since Pandora as both mountains and poles, I see no reason to rule snow out of Na'vi experience entirely.

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: wm.annis on April 11, 2010, 09:50:10 AM
We had "ice" but not "snow" on the list.  Since Pandora as both mountains and poles, I see no reason to rule snow out of Na'vi experience entirely.

Well, I didn't JUST mean snow...but ANYthing Arctic-like in nature. I just don't see how we can have any of it.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Well we know for sure there are some subarctic regions and it's not a huge step to go to arctic next.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Swoka Swizaw

Right. I think that I just mean anything that seems contrary to what I assume's a planetary tropical climate. (Yes, I know, I'm assuming...)

KxanìaTaronyu

Couldn't you say ukxo pay?

But that wouldn't make much sense...
"Oel kameie ayngati. Irayo ayngaru ulte Eywa ngahu. 'Ivong Na'vi aysmukan sì aysmuke. Aynga lu Eywayä ayeylan ulte aynga lu yawne oer. Kìyevame!" 

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: KxanìaTaronyu on April 21, 2010, 03:39:41 AM
Couldn't you say ukxo pay?

But that wouldn't make much sense...

Not really. It would also have to be ukxoa pay.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Although both forms of frozen water, ice and snow are very different, so terms for both are not out of the question. Snow could also be a verb, when describing it as precipitation.

ukxoa pay is indeed interesting for ice, but not real descriptive, as it is not ukxo for very long if you handle it.

Someone recently made a mention of ice and snow on the C list page.

I wonder if the Na`vi ever venture into the polar regions, considering how warm-climate adapted they are. Or, maybe there are some cold-loving Na`vi clans out there, who either dress in fur or have (blue?) fur themselves. (There would have to be furry animals there as well.) Something for a fan-fic exploration, or perhaps ideas from JC.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on April 21, 2010, 03:40:00 PM
...I wonder if the Na`vi ever venture into the polar regions, considering how warm-climate adapted they are. Or, maybe there are some cold-loving Na`vi clans out there, who either dress in fur or have (blue?) fur themselves. (There would have to be furry animals there as well.) Something for a fan-fic exploration, or perhaps ideas from JC.

They don't necessarily need to have fur.  They might have blubber.  But blubbery Na'vi would like kinda silly ;)
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: tigermind on April 21, 2010, 07:15:49 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on April 21, 2010, 03:40:00 PM
...I wonder if the Na`vi ever venture into the polar regions, considering how warm-climate adapted they are. Or, maybe there are some cold-loving Na`vi clans out there, who either dress in fur or have (blue?) fur themselves. (There would have to be furry animals there as well.) Something for a fan-fic exploration, or perhaps ideas from JC.

They don't necessarily need to have fur.  They might have blubber.  But blubbery Na'vi would like kinda silly ;)

::thinks:: I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Now, if you were to have a Na'vi transfer his or her consciousness into a human body, the odds of a "blubbery Na'vi" would be a little more likely. 'Ivong "sleek Na'vi!"