words for the C list - feel free to expand!

Started by tsrräfkxätu, March 12, 2010, 06:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Another couple words became conspicuous by their absence last night: 'Interesting' and 'fascinating'. (And now I just noticed that there is no word/suggestion for 'conspicuous', either). 'Interesting is already on the A/B list, but 'fascinating' is not on any list I currently have/know about.

'Fascinating' is a more profound state of 'interesting', but it is cumbersome to extend 'interesting' to get there. There is also 'fascinated', just as there is 'interested'-- these two words have very different meanings. So, here are a few suggestions, some of which might just be different by inflections or compounding of some sort:

'Interested' "He was interested in learning more about the thanator sighting down by the river."
'Fascinating' "Tsutey found the military tactics of the tawtutes to be rather fascinating."
'Fascinated' "She was fascinated by the colors in the beautiful sunset that evening."

Then, there's 'conspicuous', or possibly 'prominent' or 'notable' (all possibly coverable by one word?): "They knew they had found their way back when they saw the conspicuous rock outcropping on the hillside."

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Syaron

I would really like a word for cat. Or cats or kittens.

Irayo! Shara
Shara

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: Shara on April 21, 2010, 05:43:12 PM
I would really like a word for cat. Or cats or kittens.

Irayo! Shara

I think that would be difficult. It's enough to have words for Pandoran fauna but I've never found it all that easy to equate them to ours. Well, OK, yayo (bird) and payoang (fish), but "cat" seems sort of abstract...

wm.annis

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on April 19, 2010, 10:44:55 PM
It occurred to me today that I could not recall seeing a word for 'work surface', something we might commonly call a 'table'. But for Na`vi purposes, it could be any flat surface where one performs a task.

It's not clear to my why "horizontal work surface" would be important enough to the Na'vi to warrant a new word if we already get table.  However, we're not sure we're going to get table, so word for a more general "work area, workspace" does seem important, at least when working on something that might be dangerous or that requires special preparation.  Added.

QuoteI discovered that a couple really common words are missing: Horizontal and vertical. The definitions of these terms is pretty obvious (at least as adjectives), so I won't bother with example sentences.

You have been enslaved by English.  :)  Quite a few languages are content with "upright" and "lying down" for these ideas, so I'm a bit queasy about adding them just yet.

QuoteAnother related word I could not find was 'flat'. Example: "The plains clan's land is quite flat".

Ooh, good one.  Added.

wm.annis

Quote from: KxanìaTaronyu on April 21, 2010, 03:41:21 AMhard, soft, firm.
ice, snow

Each of these exists already, or has been asked for, except "firm."

Added.

wm.annis

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on April 21, 2010, 03:31:18 PM'Fascinating' is a more profound state of 'interesting', but it is cumbersome to extend 'interesting' to get there. There is also 'fascinated', just as there is 'interested'-- these two words have very different meanings.

I have a hard time as seeing these as very different.

The words in a language get worn down by use.  Eventually a word gets so worn down people don't think it carries enough weight any more, so grab for some more vigorous word to represent an idea.  The origin of "fascinating" goes back to "bewitched, bespelled," which is a very strong word to say something is very interesting.  But even that strength has been somewhat worn down by time, so that Spock can use it all the time.  :)  Think a moment about what "stunning" means literally.

That said, a word like "arresting, fascinating" could be useful — but it might be stronger than the merely "remarkably interesting" that most people mean when they say "fascinating."

wm.annis

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on April 21, 2010, 03:31:18 PMThen, there's 'conspicuous', or possibly 'prominent' or 'notable' (all possibly coverable by one word?): "They knew they had found their way back when they saw the conspicuous rock outcropping on the hillside."

Added.

wm.annis

Quote from: wm.annis on April 21, 2010, 06:50:13 PM
QuoteI discovered that a couple really common words are missing: Horizontal and vertical. The definitions of these terms is pretty obvious (at least as adjectives), so I won't bother with example sentences.

You have been enslaved by English.  :)  Quite a few languages are content with "upright" and "lying down" for these ideas, so I'm a bit queasy about adding them just yet.

Never mind — these are manifestly useful for people who ride ikrans.  Added.

whipback

I would like the word for unique....I couldn't find it anywhere...

What a unique tree.
The Na'vi people are a unique race.

...I especially want to use it as a name 'the one who is unique'

I would also like a word that is a little difficult to explain because there is no English word for it... I would like a word that means something along the lines 'the person who you are closer to than anyone else'...I want this word to be stronger than 'pal' or 'best friend'...the ONE person who you can really count on in your life more than anyone else.  I'm not able to give any sentences because there is no English translation...
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rawke poyä mokrimaw slä terkupyu poyä maw taronyu.

It means something like actions speak louder than words and the him here is palulukan.(corrections would be greatly appreciated)

Prrton

Quote from: whipback on April 22, 2010, 11:04:43 PM

What a unique tree.

I would also like a word that is a little difficult to explain because there is no English word for it... I would like a word that means something along the lines 'the person who you are closer to than anyone else'...I want this word to be stronger than 'pal' or 'best friend'...the ONE person who you can really count on in your life more than anyone else.  I'm not able to give any sentences because there is no English translation...

"Soul mate" sounds pretty close to what you are describing. It is not impossible to have *multiple* soul mates, but rarely if ever hear the phrase "he/she is ONE of my SOUL MATES."

Based on «spe'etu» (an anomaly) I wouldn't think it *impossible* (however clearly unlikely) that such a term might be derived in Na'vi as «kametu» ("one/the one who is Seen"). It would need to be somewhat idiomatic. «Kawnametu» (from «kawnamea tute» = "Seen person") is also not completely outside of the realm of possibility, but I'd think it unlikely that either would end up being "your answer."

Prrton

Tsamsiyu92

My requests would be a word for "free" as in freedom, not as in 0,00$.

freedom could then again derive from free with a ti- prefix, like "life" (tirey) derives from "live" (rey).

EDIT: sorry, realised it has been asked for. What about "hate"? Neytiri did infact hate Jake somewhere in the movie.

wm.annis

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on April 23, 2010, 12:52:04 PMWhat about "hate"?

This has every word we have asked for so far (should never be more than a day out of date): http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/L_E_P/Wordlist.

This is a list of every word Frommer invented for the film or the game but which we may not yet have been told the Na'vi for: http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/L_E_P/Frommerian.

Kì'eyawn

I would like a word for "awe."

synonyms: wonder, wonderment, amazement; reverence, veneration

I'm getting at a word, for example, for how Grace felt when she was "with Eywa"
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

tsrräfkxätu

Quote from: tigermind on April 23, 2010, 04:48:00 PM
I'm getting at a word, for example, for how Grace felt when she was "with Eywa"

Maybe it tickled... :D And hey! There's a new word for the list! :D
párolt zöldség — muntxa fkxen  

whipback

Quote from: Prrton on April 23, 2010, 02:28:05 AM
Quote from: whipback on April 22, 2010, 11:04:43 PM

What a unique tree.

"Soul mate" sounds pretty close to what you are describing. It is not impossible to have *multiple* soul mates, but rarely if ever hear the phrase "he/she is ONE of my SOUL MATES."

Based on «spe'etu» (an anomaly) I wouldn't think it *impossible* (however clearly unlikely) that such a term might be derived in Na'vi as «kametu» ("one/the one who is Seen"). It would need to be somewhat idiomatic. «Kawnametu» (from «kawnamea tute» = "Seen person") is also not completely outside of the realm of possibility, but I'd think it unlikely that either would end up being "your answer."

Soul mate might be close except when I think of a soul mate, I think of two people who are in love.  I don't want that word to necessarily mean you are in love with that person.  You LOVE the person because you can trust them more than anyone else, but you aren't necessarily in love or even going to fall in love.  Just like your absolute best friend.

Is there a words for the different meanings of glass?  I don't know if the Na'vi would have these words, but I thought I would just mention them

• I want a glass of water.
    Get me out a glass from the cabinet.

The glass window is dirty.

The Na'vi seem pretty good at gymnastics and acrobatics so some words for gymnastics terms.  'to flip', 'to twist', 'to spin', 'to turn', etc.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It means something like actions speak louder than words and the him here is palulukan.(corrections would be greatly appreciated)

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: whipback on April 23, 2010, 05:38:45 PM
Soul mate might be close except when I think of a soul mate, I think of two people who are in love.  I don't want that word to necessarily mean you are in love with that person.  You LOVE the person because you can trust them more than anyone else, but you aren't necessarily in love or even going to fall in love.  Just like your absolute best friend.

I've been told the Turkish word for friend (arkadaş) can be broken down etymologically to mean something like "person with whom one shares one's back"—i.e., if you ever are in a tough spot, you'll be back-to-back with this person, fighting it out together.

Does this kinda get at what you had in mind, ma tsmuk?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

whipback

Quote from: tigermind on April 24, 2010, 10:02:55 AM
Quote from: whipback on April 23, 2010, 05:38:45 PM

I've been told the Turkish word for friend (arkadaş) can be broken down etymologically to mean something like "person with whom one shares one's back"—i.e., if you ever are in a tough spot, you'll be back-to-back with this person, fighting it out together.

Does this kinda get at what you had in mind, ma tsmuk?

Ya, I think so because if that person is someone who has your back then you two are extremely close, but I want to stress the fact that only one person should be able to do this in the meaning of my word.  Multiple people can have your back, but in my word I want it to be one person above all else who you can trust to have your back and who you are closer to than anyone else.

Maybe it will help you guys understand this word more if I tell you all how I thought of it.  So I am also learning Russian and sometimes will speak a little Russian around my friends and family. I also use Russian words to refer to them.  I did this with my best friends.  I have three best friends, and I love them all, but I love Laura more than the other two by a landslide. I started to refer to Laura by the diminutive of friend, but I realized I could use this diminutive for my other two best friends, and I wanted a word that I could use just for Laura that signified I am closer to her than any of my other best friends or anyone else.  Does this help?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Swoka Swizaw

To compile/collect.
To gather.
To slide.
To scrap.
Nude.
Clothed.
Breast.
Something(s) further south that most of us giggled about as kids.
Pit. (Or gutter, since that's where my mind apparently is.)

Prrton

method (n)
gel (n) (goop/slimy stuff)
small domesticated animal (n.)
germ/infectious particle/*malicious/dangerous* spore (n.)
comfort (n.) / (be) comfortable
depend on (be contingent upon)
depend on (rely on (cf: amae))
a detail (n.)
datum, data, information (fmawn that has been verified/accepted as true/relied on as fact)
relevant, pertinent, germane (adj. or verb cf: «tsranten»)
situation / set of specific circumstances (n.)
a resource (n.) / "the bounty of the natural world"
a factor (n.) / aspect of influence / related element / causal constituent / 要因・素因