words for the C list - feel free to expand!

Started by tsrräfkxätu, March 12, 2010, 06:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on April 27, 2010, 11:33:02 AM
So, 'scrape' is useful in enough ways to be a good addition.

Thank you, for the added definitions. I guess that I meant it to ultimately mean 'the action(s) that cause(s) any particularly annoying sound [that one then chooses to use the word "scrape" to distinguish it from any other effect].' To SCRAPE is different from, let's say, to slide, like I gave before. I think we choose words like scrape out of a need to describe an action via a diminished onomatopoeia. It isn't the sound, but the word has to sound as unpleasing as the sound. So, we choose to use it as an "annoyance word."

tsrräfkxätu

Quote from: Prrton on April 27, 2010, 12:02:53 PM
Quote from: tsrräfkxätu on April 27, 2010, 06:44:22 AM
What's fne?

Kxawm tsatsun tslivam nìswey fya'ofa tiving nari fìfmawnur.

;D

Rawke! Txopu si oe fwa kxawm kakrelit slatseru, slä mi ke tse'a tsatseng ke'u a srung si tslam oeru . :-\
párolt zöldség — muntxa fkxen  

Prrton

Quote from: tsrräfkxätu on April 27, 2010, 03:37:18 PM
Quote from: Prrton on April 27, 2010, 12:02:53 PM
Quote from: tsrräfkxätu on April 27, 2010, 06:44:22 AM
What's fne?

Kxawm tsatsun tslivam nìswey fya'ofa tiving nari fìfmawnur.

;D

Rawke! Txopu si oe fwa kxawm kakrelit slatseru, slä mi ke tse'a tsatseng ke'u a srung si tslam oeru . :-\

fnel (fne-) kind, type N/PReN
Fnel can stand alone or work with
another noun in the genitive to
to show the relationship:
tsafnel syulangä = "that kind of flower".
Fne- (does not cause lenition) does the
same thing as a PREnoun:
tsafnesyulang = "that type of flower".
K. Pawl is thinking about how to flesh
out all of the permutations with fra-, me-,
pxe-, and the ramifications of constructs
with the indefinite suffix -o, etc. For the
time being, the following are approved:
   - fìfne-, fayfne-
   - tsafne-, tsayfne-
Note also: fne- ekxan »»» fnekxan

ulte

fnel n. /ˈfnɛl/ [.] kind, type
fne− pref. /fnɛ/ [.] kind, type
fnepe pn. /ˈfnɛ.pɛ/ [.] which kind?
pefnel pn. /pɛ.ˈfnɛl/ [.] which kind?
fìfne− pref. /fɪ.fnɛ/ [.] such a, this kind of
fayfne− pref. /faj.fnɛ/ [.] such, these kinds of
fìfnel pn. /fɪ.ˈfnɛl/, pl. fayfnel such a, this kind of (with genitive)
tsafne− (cafne) pref. /tsa.fnɛ/ [.] such a, that kind of
tsayfne− (cayfne) pref. /tsaj.fnɛ/ [.] such, those kinds of
tsafnel (cafnel) pn. /tsa.ˈfnɛl/, pl. tsayfnel [.] such a, this kind of (with genitive)
tsafnel syulangä, tsafnesyulang [.] "such a flower, that kind of flower"

ulte

fìtseng

tsrräfkxätu

Irayo nìtxan ma Prrton! Oel ke tsame'a taluna ngal kìngä tstxot 'awstengyamem fìtsengehu, ke tstxot tsa'upxareyä, ulte oeru lam syena 'upxare nì'awve.

wm.annis

wm.annis

Quote from: Prrton on April 24, 2010, 12:55:52 PM
method (n)
gel (n) (goop/slimy stuff)
small domesticated animal (n.)
germ/infectious particle/*malicious/dangerous* spore (n.)
comfort (n.) / (be) comfortable
depend on (be contingent upon)
depend on (rely on (cf: amae))
a detail (n.)
datum, data, information (fmawn that has been verified/accepted as true/relied on as fact)
relevant, pertinent, germane (adj. or verb cf: «tsranten»)
situation / set of specific circumstances (n.)
a resource (n.) / "the bounty of the natural world"
a factor (n.) / aspect of influence / related element / causal constituent / 要因・素因

All added except "method" and "detail" which are waiting on examples ("detail" and "data" seem semantically very close), and "small domesticated animal" which is a wildly unlikely word in a natural language (as much as Linnaeus might have liked one).  The ASG mentions stingbats as specific smaller critters some Na'vi treat as pets, but that's it.

wm.annis

wm.annis

wm.annis

Quote from: Prrton on April 26, 2010, 11:37:09 PM
aspect / angle / dimension / facet / 面 (n.)
trend / tendency (noun or verb)

Added.

wm.annis

wm.annis

Quote from: Swoka Swizaw on April 27, 2010, 09:54:22 AMTo scrape: the uneven meeting of an object to another surface. This action might create an unpleasant sound.

"Scrape" is already on the B-priority list, and words for unpleasant sounds are on the A-list.

wm.annis

Quote from: whipback on April 24, 2010, 10:26:29 AMYa, I think so because if that person is someone who has your back then you two are extremely close, but I want to stress the fact that only one person should be able to do this in the meaning of my word.  Multiple people can have your back, but in my word I want it to be one person above all else who you can trust to have your back and who you are closer to than anyone else.

I haven't yet added this word yet: it scares me a bit.  First, the word is very specific, while the purpose of the LEP is to make Na'vi more generally useful for more situations.  Second, and this is the bigger question, is this word really culturally appropriate for the Na'vi?  They are much more communally oriented.

whipback

Quote from: wm.annis on April 28, 2010, 08:46:26 PM
Quote from: whipback on April 24, 2010, 10:26:29 AMYa, I think so because if that person is someone who has your back then you two are extremely close, but I want to stress the fact that only one person should be able to do this in the meaning of my word.  Multiple people can have your back, but in my word I want it to be one person above all else who you can trust to have your back and who you are closer to than anyone else.

I haven't yet added this word yet: it scares me a bit.  First, the word is very specific, while the purpose of the LEP is to make Na'vi more generally useful for more situations.  Second, and this is the bigger question, is this word really culturally appropriate for the Na'vi?  They are much more communally oriented.

I guess I mostly wanted the word for my specific use because friends are really important to me, but I wouldn't say this word is inappropriate for the Na'vi.  I agree the Na'vi are very communally oriented, but there are also signs from the movie that show emotions to specific individuals.  I guess the fact of the 'mated pair' really shows a sign of closeness to a specific individual in the group, and Jake working with Neytiri instead of the community to learn the ways of the Na'vi.  Which leads to them falling in love and going against the wishes of Naytiri's parents.  Also the connection of one Na'vi with one Ikran.  I will understand if you don't add it though.  Only add it if you feel comfortable enough to.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rawke poyä mokrimaw slä terkupyu poyä maw taronyu.

It means something like actions speak louder than words and the him here is palulukan.(corrections would be greatly appreciated)

Rain

bed
fat/thin
lump
we have flour, now let's have "cake" and "bread"
meat
wet/dry
hard/soft
worry
joke
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

tsrräfkxätu

Quote from: Rain on April 28, 2010, 11:33:12 PM

This has already been discussed. Flour only exists in the name of tsyorina'wll, which the skypeople translated as flour seed plant. We don't know if this is indeed used to make flour (and bread), or if they named it so because its seeds resemble flour (like a puffball's spores.) If the Na'vi knew "cereal" flour (or something similar) it would almost certainly entail that they engage in some sort of agricultural activity, which does not seem to be the case.

This would be a question for JC.

whipback

I couldn't find any of these words:

plateau(tableland, upland, mesa) - raised up land compared to its surrounding land that is relatively flat on the top.

basin(depression, dent, atrium, armpit) - a depression in the Earth's surface partially or wholly surrounded by higher ground

peninsula - a land mass that is surrounded by water on three sides

bluff - a cliff, headland, or hill with a broad, steep face.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rawke poyä mokrimaw slä terkupyu poyä maw taronyu.

It means something like actions speak louder than words and the him here is palulukan.(corrections would be greatly appreciated)

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: tsrräfkxätu on April 29, 2010, 02:59:24 AM
Quote from: Rain on April 28, 2010, 11:33:12 PM

This has already been discussed. Flour only exists in the name of tsyorina'wll, which the skypeople translated as flour seed plant. We don't know if this is indeed used to make flour (and bread), or if they named it so because its seeds resemble flour (like a puffball's spores.) If the Na'vi knew "cereal" flour (or something similar) it would almost certainly entail that they engage in some sort of agricultural activity, which does not seem to be the case.

This would be a question for JC.

We also have tsyosyu, ta Karyu Pawl.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

tsrräfkxätu

Quote from: tigermind on April 29, 2010, 02:11:38 PM

Wiya! Everywhere I look today, all I find are outdated sources, it would seem. What's this tsyosyu you speak of, and where can I find it?

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: tsrräfkxätu on April 29, 2010, 02:30:28 PM
Quote from: tigermind on April 29, 2010, 02:11:38 PM

Wiya! Everywhere I look today, all I find are outdated sources, it would seem. What's this tsyosyu you speak of, and where can I find it?

This is one of the newest words that has been introduced, and it is not in any of the dictionaries/lexicons yet. See http://forum.learnnavi.org/language-updates/trr-rrtaya/ A lot of other new words there as well.

Even if the Na`vi do not practice agriculture, they apparently know how to make bread or bread-like foods from what they can gather from the forest. That said, I think we sometimes underestimate the intelligence of the Na`vi.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

wm.annis

Quote from: whipback on April 29, 2010, 06:44:58 AMplateau(tableland, upland, mesa) - raised up land compared to its surrounding land that is relatively flat on the top.

All added.