words for the C list - feel free to expand!

Started by tsrräfkxätu, March 12, 2010, 06:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'eylan na'viyä

carrying a rider, action of supporting/interacting with/accepting the rider - not just switching ergative and accusative

nìhawng swaw alehrrap a fì'uri poläheiem oeyä ikranìl ulte oeru/oeti/oehu kelkune <>

o.t.: would it be possible to say:
nìhawng swaw alehrrap a fìkemìri poläheiem oeyä ikranìl ulte oeru/oeti/oehu kelkune <>
to express:
at a moment i were in serious trouble fortunately my ikran came and carries me home
?

omängum fra'uti

Lee - Certainly a concept which could be of importance for flight.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

wm.annis

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on April 29, 2010, 06:47:18 PMLee - Certainly a concept which could be of importance for flight.

Added, along with "upwind" and "downwind."

Prrton

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on April 29, 2010, 06:29:00 PM
carrying a rider, action of supporting/interacting with/accepting the rider - not just switching ergative and accusative

nìhawng swaw alehrrap a fì'uri poläheiem oeyä ikranìl ulte oeru/oeti/oehu kelkune <>

nìhawng swaw alehrrap a fìkemìri poläheiem oeyä ikranìl ulte oeru/oeti/oehu kelkune <>
to express:
at a moment i were in serious trouble fortunately my ikran came and carries me home
?

Do you mean something more along the lines of *MAKTOTÌNG or *MUNGETÌNG?

Prrton

Quote from: wm.annis on April 28, 2010, 07:23:15 PM
Quote from: Prrton on April 24, 2010, 12:55:52 PM
method (n)
gel (n) (goop/slimy stuff)
small domesticated animal (n.)
germ/infectious particle/*malicious/dangerous* spore (n.)
comfort (n.) / (be) comfortable
depend on (be contingent upon)
depend on (rely on (cf: amae))
a detail (n.)
datum, data, information (fmawn that has been verified/accepted as true/relied on as fact)
relevant, pertinent, germane (adj. or verb cf: «tsranten»)
situation / set of specific circumstances (n.)
a resource (n.) / "the bounty of the natural world"
a factor (n.) / aspect of influence / related element / causal constituent / 要因・素因

All added except "method" and "detail" which are waiting on examples ("detail" and "data" seem semantically very close), and "small domesticated animal" which is a wildly unlikely word in a natural language (as much as Linnaeus might have liked one).  The ASG mentions stingbats as specific smaller critters some Na'vi treat as pets, but that's it.

OK. Granted. I'm sneakily fishing for a productive root with the "small domesticated animal". However, other than the riti mention, there is also an illustration in the concept art of what I'm assuming is a prototypical Neytiri tsaheylu-ed to what looks like a juvenile nantang.

The pa'li are domesticated (at least to an extent). It could happen!

K. Pawl was on the set and around lots of things (ideas/concepts) that didn't make it into the film. It's worth asking, and if he feels it's an encroachment on J.C.'s territory, I'm sure he'll say "no". If we can't "afford" it, then that's another issue. I'd much rather have:

METHOD and DETAIL

Method: Fya'o may already be very close (enough) to this, and he may want to stick with it. But, here's the sense for which I'd like clarification if not a new word/compound.

- The Plains Tribes have very different methods of making bug-lamps than we do.
  - His method was clumsy and he wasted a lot of time.
  - There are three methods mothers commonly use to deal with misbehaving children.

Detail: I agree that it's not that semantically far way from data/datum, but I'm talking about the "nitty-gritty"/詳細/"rubber-hits-the-road elements of a more complex whole.

- There were far too many details to be dealt with in one day.
  - How can you call this a 'plan', when you don't provide even one detail on how it will get done?
  - At midnight she checked off the last detail on her list and slept well for the first time in weeks.

And, I'd like to add another that is in a similar vein.

The Thai term "riap roi" means that "everything is in order". It is sometimes translated as "ready". For example, in the film, when Jake comes and says he's "ready to serve the people", that sounds like what I imagine alaksi to be. But that's not riap roi. Riap roi is more when all of the fighters are in place to ambush the RDA. Or, even better, when Jake executes his first "clean kill", everything in his training has "come together" so that not only may he be emotionally ready, but all of the requisite pieces from the cosmic perspective are in order as well. "Riap roi" is not just about the mind/intention/will of an individual, but rather that ALL of the circumstances are in order. It's atmospherically BIGGER and more descriptive than our English concept of "ready". I have not seen the film in Thai, but I would be surprised if the translation of Neytiri's "You are ready." at the yerik kill is not "Thuk sing riap roi" (lit: "everything has come together.")

In Na'vi this could be a stative verb, adj., or noun (like «tìyawr».)

Fra'u ______. (Everything is in perfect order and ready for what's next).

Fra'u lu ______. (ibid.)

Ngaru lu ______. (You have all of your ducks in a row (for this that's coming up)).

whipback

Quote from: wm.annis on April 29, 2010, 06:04:34 PM
Quote from: whipback on April 29, 2010, 06:44:58 AMplateau(tableland, upland, mesa) - raised up land compared to its surrounding land that is relatively flat on the top.

All added.

Also bluff as a verb 'to bluff'.

Bluff(mislead, deceive, psych out, fake out)

More:
cover(blanket, awning, cap, lid, cloak, disguise, etc.) - something placed over something else to hide, protect, cover, etc.
to cover(to camouflage, to conceal, to refuge) - the act of placing something over something else to hide, protect, cover, etc.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rawke poyä mokrimaw slä terkupyu poyä maw taronyu.

It means something like actions speak louder than words and the him here is palulukan.(corrections would be greatly appreciated)

wm.annis

Quote from: Prrton on April 29, 2010, 08:34:41 PMOK. Granted. I'm sneakily fishing for a productive root with the "small domesticated animal". However, other than the riti mention, there is also an illustration in the concept art of what I'm assuming is a prototypical Neytiri tsaheylu-ed to what looks like a juvenile nantang.

The pa'li are domesticated (at least to an extent). It could happen!

My objection is not to domestication — that is clearly going on among the Na'vi.  It's the phrase "small domesticated animal."  No one I know has small domesticated animals — they have cats, dogs, rabbits, etc. ;)  "Small domesticated animal" is a term for taxonomists, not a natural language.

"Method," "detail" and "riap roi" added.

Prrton

Quote from: wm.annis on April 29, 2010, 08:56:17 PM
"Method," "detail" and "riap roi" added.

Thank you!

Quote from: wm.annis on April 29, 2010, 08:56:17 PMMy objection is not to domestication — that is clearly going on among the Na'vi.  It's the phrase "small domesticated animal."  No one I know has small domesticated animals — they have cats, dogs, rabbits, etc. ;)  "Small domesticated animal" is a term for taxonomists, not a natural language.

pet, familiar, animal companion (n.)

Honey, I know you love your pet, but you are not allowed to have it sleep in your hammock with you under any circumstances!

Prrton

opposite (from), across from, facing from the other side (adp.)

I sat opposite from him for 3 hours and he never even looked at me.

opposite, diametrically different, of a contrary meaning, 反対 (adj. or tì(noun) cf: tìyawr/tìkxey)

No, it's the exact OPPOSITE meaning from what you're suggesting.
 Good is the opposite of bad.

positive (not negative), 積極的, actively engaged, upbeat (adj.)

I understand it's difficult, but let's shoot for a positive attitude anyway, OK?

negative (not positive), 消極的, "down on something", half-hearted, exuding bad energy (adj.)

I've never met anyone so negative about EVERYTHING in my entire life. Her energy saps the life out of me.

Prrton

be utterly disappointed, "lose heart", ガッカリする (psychomime si-construct), "give up hope" (V intrans. or si construction?)

if too similar to existing "disappointed" can merge, but I like this a something that is different/more intense.
    (Would like a psychomime if possible.)

She was utterly crushed that her entry at the State Fair went totally unrecognized by the judges.

serious hurt feelings, "wounded psyche", emotional scarring, broken will, emotional withdrawal, beating oneself up

noun & si-construct &/or seyki-construct &/or säpi-construct

When the child died in the fire, her mother was completely devastated and withdrawn from the world for 18 month.

*sneakretive, sneaky+secretive, stealthily cunning, ninja-like (V intrans. or adj.)

He was so sneakretive about the birthday party that it was a complete surprise to his wife. She never had a clue.

*scranchipy, tattered, ratty, mangy, shabby, falling apart (adj.)

You've now bonded with the most scranchipy ikran on Pandora. Seriously! That thing looks like it was a Thanator's breakfast!

*gradu, repulsive detritus, gunk, disgusting schmutz, any vile substance that doesn't belong where it is (n.)

He fell from the tree into the black bog and came out covered with the most repugnant gradu you can imagine! It was disgusting!

*fragmefact, evidential piece of a former whole, leftover, a lost or missing part, forensic evidence (n.)

In the charred remains of the decimated village he found 2 and a half dowels sticking out of
     a wooden disk wrapped in lichen-died yarn. The fragmefact went into his pocket with a thin
     prayer that it had come from his grandmother's loom.

Eywanian Energy, the light of tsaheylu, tendril light of the transmogrification (n.)

*nawmatan? *ngrratan?

As Tsahìk swayed and chanted the Eywanian energy pulsed through every living thing near the Tree of Souls.

Eywanian Matter, the fundamental substance (as opposed to the energy) of which physical things are composed (n.)

*nawma (dust)?

As the energy we borrow in life returns to Eywa, so does the Eywanian matter of our flesh and bone.

hallucination, confused vision, dream that is completely out of whack, temporarily crazy (n. or v.)

experience an hallucination

As soon as the insect stung him he began to hallucinate, and not in a good way.

faint, suddenly lose consciousness, have "the vapors", 倒れる (v. intrans. (of people/animals)

It must have been the heat that caused him to faint so unexpectedly. Fortunately, he was back in a few seconds.

即席 (sokuseki) /即興 (sokkyō), (use as) ad hoc/improvised tool, (there is no perfect 'everyday' word for this in English. 'Improvise' is closest) (n. and/or v.)

cf: vine snatched from tree when rope needed, leaf used as plate, flint knapping stone picked up off the ground.

He's like the MacGyver of Pandora. The forest is his (ad hoc/improvised tool.) box.

Po tskxeru txepursì [_______] sarmi fte 'ivem wutsot letxon.

generic simple tool (n.)

cf: hammer/chisel/bolas (noun or productive root)

You could do that with your hand or a stick, but a dig(_____) would get you a hole a whole lot more quickly.

The -er/-or in jammer, hanger, roller, sifter, server, monitor.
  The 'u (as opposed to tute) version of -yu and -tu for verbs and nouns.

designed device, product of skilled craftsmanship created for a purpose (tìtxula?)

cf: ikran saddle/pa'li saddle/flying warrior's goggles (noun or productive root)

I'd rather have one of his devices than any other. They last longer; feel better; and are just so much more nicely designed.

tsrräfkxätu

Quote from: Prrton on April 30, 2010, 03:47:56 AM
Eywanian Matter, the fundamental substance (as opposed to the energy) of which physical things are composed (n.)

*nawma (dust)?

As the energy we borrow in life returns to Eywa, so does the Eywanian matter of our flesh and bone.

I sense a brilliant un-Earthly concept here! I'm not sure Pawl will be able to answer this on his own, but it would be awesome if the Na'vi were made of (metaphorically) something other than dust. Then again, it would be even more unique if the Na'vi didn't see the universe in the light of the same energy-matter dichotomy as we do. Maybe they're more holistic about it, and believe they're built of energy, just like everything else under the eye of Eywa.

Quotegeneric simple tool (n.)

cf: hammer/chisel/bolas (noun or productive root)

You could do that with your hand or a stick, but a dig(_____) would get you a hole a whole lot more quickly.

The -er/-or in jammer, hanger, roller, sifter, server, monitor.
  The 'u (as opposed to tute) version of -yu and -tu for verbs and nouns.

I had this idea a while back that this could be -y'u.
párolt zöldség — muntxa fkxen  

'eylan na'viyä

Quote from: Prrton on April 29, 2010, 07:21:24 PM
Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on April 29, 2010, 06:29:00 PM

to express:
?

Do you mean something more along the lines of *MAKTOTÌNG or *MUNGETÌNG?

i thought about something like *MAKTOTÌNG

but i can also imagine a word carrying the meaning of *MUNGETÌNG, maybe in combination with *a heavy weight*.
roughly "schleppen"
but which in combination with nìhawng it should mean that it is impossible/too heavy

wm.annis

No more words!  We're nearly at the 1000-word mark, which is, with Karyu Pawl's agreement, a firm limit for this round of the LEP.  Enough new ones came in while I was asleep to overshoot, so this may take a little pruning.

Prrton

Quote from: wm.annis on April 30, 2010, 07:28:30 AM
No more words!  We're nearly at the 1000-word mark, which is, with Karyu Pawl's agreement, a firm limit for this round of the LEP.  Enough new ones came in while I was asleep to overshoot, so this may take a little pruning.

I don't think he'll count and say, "Oh, I'm not going to do those last 7!"  ;)  Please, don't over-prune.

BUT, I agree with you completely that we're at a «TAM» stage of this grand collaborative experiment and I think the vocab is GREAT! Amazing even...  ;D

There may be a FEW things in the C List (like nìpxi for "especially") that have been randomly covered in the interim. That might save a word or two from "pruning".

IRAYO, MA WM.!!

We are forever in your debt for a job most EXCELLENTLY done!

Kì'eyawn

Huzzah!  Tìkangkem atxantsan, ma smuk!  Irayo for all your hard work.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

whipback

Good work!  So what is a guesstimate as to the amount of words Na'vi will have if Karyu Pawl completes all of the words from the A, B, and C list?
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rawke poyä mokrimaw slä terkupyu poyä maw taronyu.

It means something like actions speak louder than words and the him here is palulukan.(corrections would be greatly appreciated)

wm.annis

Quote from: Prrton on April 29, 2010, 09:18:25 PMpet, familiar, animal companion (n.)

Oy!  How did that get missed?  Added.

wm.annis

Quote from: whipback on April 29, 2010, 08:50:25 PMBluff(mislead, deceive, psych out, fake out)

More:
cover(blanket, awning, cap, lid, cloak, disguise, etc.) - something placed over something else to hide, protect, cover, etc.
to cover(to camouflage, to conceal, to refuge) - the act of placing something over something else to hide, protect, cover, etc.

We have words for all these ideas, requested or already in the language.

wm.annis

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on April 29, 2010, 06:29:00 PMcarrying a rider, action of supporting/interacting with/accepting the rider - not just switching ergative and accusative

Added.

wm.annis

Quote from: Prrton on April 30, 2010, 01:28:27 PMI don't think he'll count and say, "Oh, I'm not going to do those last 7!" 

I know, but it's more like 20 already.