Learn Na'vi > Vocabulary Expansion

words for the C list - feel free to expand!

(1/23) > >>

tsrräfkxätu:
I checked these against the final A/B list as well as the C words on the wiki.

Body:
an (eye)brow -- not covered by hair in the Na’vi, but still an expressive part of the face
an eyelash
a lock (of hair)
the scalp -- the skin of the head (might not be a separate word)

Flora (Animals):
a pollen
the nectar -- the pa’li eat it
a petal -- Neytiri wore some in her hair
a corolla (ring of petals)
a stem -- part of a plant

Clothing and Grooming:
a bath -- or similar applicable term for the act of washing/cleaning oneself ("Neytiri took a bath in the lake and washed off the dust of the day.")
a necklace -- Neytiri has one
a bracelet
a trophy -- a decorative "success story"
to adorn, to decorate, to ornament -- a person or place e.g. in preparation for a ceremony; Hungarian: (meg)szépít, (fel)díszít ("Hometree was decorated for the great fest." "The warrior's body was adorned with trophies.")
a warpaint (or ceremonial paint)
to paint the body -- if it's different from paint; Hungarian fest vs kifest/i magát
a dye/to dye -- used/to paint the body, hair, or clothes

Possession:
steal -- they may not know private property but one Na'vi can certainly take away another's "share" (e.g how Jake "took" Neytiri from Tsu’tey)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä:
'trophy' and 'necklace' suggest another term:

amulet -  A small object, often worn on a necklace that has some (perceived or real) memorial or
     spiritual significance. This could be a bone, a tooth, a pretty rock, a piece of worked or
     unworked metal, beads, etc. Ex. 'He had an amulet on his necklace made from toruk bone'.

'eylan na'viyä:

--- Quote from: tsrräfkxätu on March 12, 2010, 06:22:47 pm ---an (eye)brow -- not covered by hair in the Na’vi, but still an expressive part of the face

--- End quote ---

as far as i have seen it only the avatars have eyebrowes
but as a remarkable difference they likely have a name for it
so i think it would be a compund or a loanword.

Tseotuan:
i would like some more affects (don't know, if anybody already said this, or wants the same as i do)
something like a opposite of <ats>, so something, that says, that the speeker is (more or less completely) sure about what he says.
something, that says, that the speaker isn't really shure, but not like <ats> but more like not positive and not negative.
the last thing isn't maybe really usefull, for some, but it would be quite funny. it is an "good old memorys" affect. so, it says, that the speaker tells something from his memorys.

wm.annis:

--- Quote from: Tseotuan on March 14, 2010, 03:53:00 pm ---i would like some more affects (don't know, if anybody already said this, or wants the same as i do)
something like a opposite of <ats>, so something, that says, that the speeker is (more or less completely) sure about what he says.
--- End quote ---

In the linguistics biz, we call that a "direct evidential."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version