"You're welcome"

Started by Uniltsamsiyu, March 02, 2010, 11:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uniltsamsiyu

I definitely think it would be A importance to have an official phrase or word to represent "you're welcome." As we know, this phrase is represented in many different ways throughout all languages. Some languages have phrases, some have dedicated words. Such as Japanese uses "Douitashimashi.te" (period put to avoid auto-censoring of word) to say this. And if I'm correct, we still have no official word or phrase to represent this yes?

Prrton

Quote from: Uniltsamsiyu on March 02, 2010, 11:03:52 PM
I definitely think it would be A importance to have an official phrase or word to represent "you're welcome." As we know, this phrase is represented in many different ways throughout all languages. Some languages have phrases, some have dedicated words. Such as Japanese uses "Douitashimashi.te" (period put to avoid auto-censoring of word) to say this. And if I'm correct, we still have no official word or phrase to represent this yes?

Very important and this is the kind of concept where it will be PARTICULARLY important to provide multiple examples. Different cultures (and situations within the same culture) can handle this in quite a variety of ways:

You're welcome
Don't mention it
Any time
My pleasure
De nada (es)
De rien (fr)
どういたしまして(jp - dōitashimashite (from above))
いいえ (jp - iie - literally "no" but marked with intonation that mean roughly. "No, don't thank me", or "don't mention it")
とんでもありませえん (jp - tondemoarimasen - "not at all")

Eastern Cherokee (Giduwa) also has Do.yu Gv.ya.li.e.li.tse.hi (ᏙᏳ ᎬᏯᎵᎡᎵᏤ) for "I appreciate you very much". That's different and quite nice. But more on the first hand "thank you" side.

Talis

In German it would be something like:

Bitte (It's the same word like the German translation from "rutxe" but with the meaning of "your welcome")
Gern geschehen
Kein Problem
Für dich doch immer

I hope you want to know this, my English isn't that good, so I don't really understand your sentences :D

Txur’Itan

In Spanish I hear frequently - De nada - "Of nothing"
私は太った男だ。

Na'rìghawnu

QuoteIn German it would be something like:

Bitte (It's the same word like the German translation from "rutxe" but with the meaning of "your welcome")
Gern geschehen

Yes, I think, that we are using "Bitte" not just for "please", but also in the sense of "you are welcome" is quite unusual among languages:
A: "Thank you very much"
B: "Please"

The other usual phrase ("Gern geschehen") is literally something like "happend gladly" (in the sense of "I did this gladly for you.")

Lance R. Casey

In Swedish we usually say "varsågod" ("be so good") or "ingen orsak" ("no cause").

// Lance R. Casey

Skyinou

Quote from: Na'rìghawnu on March 03, 2010, 01:47:41 PM
Yes, I think, that we are using "Bitte" not just for "please", but also in the sense of "you are welcome" is quite unusual among languages:
A: "Thank you very much"
B: "Please"

The other usual phrase ("Gern geschehen") is literally something like "happend gladly" (in the sense of "I did this gladly for you.")
(Little off-topic but in the spirit:)
something comparable:
In french, you usually use "merci = irayo" for "please = rutxe" when in the beginning of a formal sentence:
"Please do not smoke."
"Merci de ne pas fumer."
But if telling a friend:
"S'il te plait(= rutxe) ne fume pas."
Let's rock with The Tanners!