Do You See Na'Vi Going Anywhere?

Started by Na'viyä Tsamsiyu, January 01, 2010, 02:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Like Klingon, and at the growing rate we are at now, do you see the Na'Vi language actually becomming big?

Yes, definately, it'll out Kilngon Kilngon
97 (41.1%)
Maybe, if we keep growing steadily
106 (44.9%)
Not likely, only us, here, are the only enthusaists
6 (2.5%)
Not sure yet, let us devolope the language more
26 (11%)
Pxasik!!!!
1 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 221

Ateyo te Kellett

Quote from: SR Raptor on January 12, 2010, 08:18:25 PM
QuoteNa'vi is in its own clan ~billion miles above all of the others.

Agreed. Like, all other movies and such which are coming out soon have lost all relevence, and they are immediately not good.

On a scale of 1-100, 100 being AVATAR EPIC, the only thing for me that got close was LOTR, trilolgy.

And it's at a 20!!!!!

LOL

But, anyways, yeah....

I think im gonna agree with you on that one

Brainiac

Funny thing: When LOTR came out, I was sad. I was convinced noone would ever be able to make another film so epic, so huge.
I'm glad to have been proven wrong  ;D
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

Lol, i guess were all sad now, in that aspect.
Want to bring Na'Vi to X-Box live? Send a friend request to "SR Raptor 50" with the word Na'Vi attatched to it! I hope to have at least one friend who i can chat with in Na'Vi. Irayo, Ewya Ngahu. -Raptor

Rain

Na'vi will spread if we all work towards it. I'm trying to find people in my home town to teach, but this area is a little heavy on the Christianity. But I honestly believe that with networks like LearnNa'vi.org, facebook groups, independent students and the hard work of each person involved, Na'vi will become at least as popular (though I sincerely hope it becomes even MORE popular!!!!) as Klingon. I for one will work hard at mastering Na'vi and teaching anyone in my area (The Ohio River Vally) who wants to learn.
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Rain on January 14, 2010, 03:20:52 PM
Na'vi will spread if we all work towards it. I'm trying to find people in my home town to teach, but this area is a little heavy on the Christianity. But I honestly believe that with networks like LearnNa'vi.org, facebook groups, independent students and the hard work of each person involved, Na'vi will become at least as popular (though I sincerely hope it becomes even MORE popular!!!!) as Klingon. I for one will work hard at mastering Na'vi and teaching anyone in my area (The Ohio River Vally) who wants to learn.

For now we wait for more language and members, but after that I say we go for Google to translate their stuff into Na'vi like Klingon.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 10, 2010, 11:09:36 PM
We make no mention of Star Wars 1-3 here. They do not exist. Nor do the second two Matrix films >.>

AaaaaaMen!

Or ANY Terminator after T-2 (ahem . . . the one by James Cameron by the way!)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Brainiac

Quote from: dustywhite on January 15, 2010, 01:44:49 AM
We make no mention of Star Wars 1-3 here. They do not exist. Nor do the second two Matrix films >.>

AaaaaaMen!

OY! salvation was good! It had Jake Sully Sam worthington in it.
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I don't think the third matrix was to bad just not as good as the first.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Taronyuakawng

Greetings from Poland :)

My opinion is that Na'Vi will out kill-ngon the klingon :) Star Trek was fun series, but it was nowhere near Avatar. I mean.. Avatar is sooo much more epic and stunning that everything else. It's kinda out of scale. WAY out of scale.

I think Avatar as a movie, a story, its something that will live in people's hearts, and that only guarantees that Na'Vi language will get attention. Now.. will the language be further developed into something complete? Thats the only unknown thing here..

Poland, Warsaw

Atoki Atanyä

Quote from: Lì'uyä täftxuyu on January 15, 2010, 06:49:09 AM

AaaaaaMen!

OY! salvation was good! It had Jake Sully Sam worthington in it.

Ma JakeSully, ngal tspang Terminator-ti :P

Ma James Cameron, nga eyktan lu :D
Atoki's Guide to Learning Na'vi: Part One is Here!

txur txe'lante

I commented on this before but I think it can go somewhere if we band together. Thats how the Na'vi prevailed over the Tawtute and that is what we must do.  I think we need to find people who live near us to be friends with and learn it would be awesome if we could do that and then all meet up one day

Swok Txon

agreed

maybe a Official Learn Na'vi meeting or something in a massive convention hall would be AWESOME!!!!

go for a week and we discuss things, have fun, speak Na'vi!

Rain

Quote from: Swok Txon on January 17, 2010, 07:50:50 PM
agreed

maybe a Official Learn Na'vi meeting or something in a massive convention hall would be AWESOME!!!!

go for a week and we discuss things, have fun, speak Na'vi!
I for one would be all for that!
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Ftiafpi

That would be amazing, I would love to do something like this.

Swok Txon

I hope people start speaking it like everywhere and have a chat with people on the bus

muhahaahhahaah

freak out the locals

Quote from: Swok Txon on January 17, 2010, 10:50:46 PM
I hope people start speaking it like everywhere and have a chat with people on the bus

muhahaahhahaah

freak out the locals

Haha, we'd receive just a few strange looks  ;D

We just have to give the Na'vi language time and gradually its popularity will increase  :)

Eywayä Kato

As a die-hard Star Trek geek who has studied Klingon, I genuinely believe that Na'vi can out-Klingon the Klingon language.  Klingon has a few things which hamper it's success.

1 - The dork rating is completely off the chart.  Avatar was able to appeal to a freakishly large amount of the population, which it turn means that there are a lot more really big Avatar fans who aren't what would be considered geeky in any other way than you will find Star Trek fans who aren't geeky even outside of Trek.  This means that people are far less likely to forgo learning it in defense of mockery.
2 - All Avatar fans like the Na'vi.  Not all Star Trek fans are particularly fond of the Klingons (they are, after all, brutish and originally debuted as bad guys).  This means that Na'vi language is potentially appealing to the entire Avatar fan base.
3 - Klingon, quite frankly, is sorta gross.  Klingon has a lot of deep guttural sounds as well as sounds that would sound muffled and lack the "clean" quality of Na'vi.  Besides; at the beginning of the Conversational Klingon tape they warn you to have napkins nearby because you will end up hacking spit everywhere.  And ya do.  :-X  If the grunting spitting language can win, so can the beautiful articulate one.

If Klingon, with all those problems compared to Na'vi, can get popular enough to warrant a documentary on fluent speakers surely Na'vi can make it as well.  Even Vulcan is able to survive as a language, and it doesn't have nearly the fan base, usage in film, or interest of it's creator as Na'vi.

As for the issue of copyright and whatnot, I am not too concerned.  As the Northern Arizona University's page on revitalizing indigenous languages states;
QuoteCopyrights on dictionaries are unusual because the entries in the dictionary are not copyrightable as the words themselves are facts, and facts can not be copyrighted. However, the formatting, example sentences, and instructions for dictionary use are created by the author, so they are copyrightable.

Ftiafpi

QuoteCopyrights on dictionaries are unusual because the entries in the dictionary are not copyrightable as the words themselves are facts, and facts can not be copyrighted. However, the formatting, example sentences, and instructions for dictionary use are created by the author, so they are copyrightable.
[/quote]

Well, created languages are a little different than organically generated spoken languages and can be copyrighted. I've been sort of delving a little into this but I don't have, at all, a complete understanding of the legalities of this but it seems that FOX can hold a copyright on the language and can also hold a trademark on things like the word Na'vi and so on. So, we can teach it, we can possibly write books how to teach it (but couldn't sell them, not even to cover publishing cost I believe), we can redistribute anything already freely available (the language lab grammar rules for example), and I think we can distribute the actual words themselves (again, freely, can't make money off of this). However, it seems like anything beyond that is a gray area.

Anyway, getting slightly off-topic here but it seems that FOX is going to play nice, which is the best for everybody. Even if they didn't though I would not be surprised if they let us (or someone else) publish materials while giving them royalties off of the sale.

That said, I feel that I agree with you on all points about why Na'vi will surpass Klingon and I feel that it won't be long before we have almost total access to the language and are able to do whatever we want with it from selling official Avatar t-shirts and whatnot to selling books on how to learn Na'vi to holding conventions and so on.

Eywayä Kato

Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 18, 2010, 12:13:59 AM
Anyway, getting slightly off-topic here but it seems that FOX is going to play nice, which is the best for everybody. Even if they didn't though I would not be surprised if they let us (or someone else) publish materials while giving them royalties off of the sale.

Unless fully insane they'll have to choose to play nice.  In the short time the movie has been out the language has already taken on a pretty vibrant life of it's own.  Trying to bottle things like that just creates consumer riots.  As a capitalist venture businesses are ultimately at the mercy of the consumer and they'd end up with a pretty good sized mass of angry (blue) consumers and some interesting press coverage.

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Swok Txon on January 17, 2010, 10:50:46 PM

muhahaahhahaah

freak out the locals

Or, if you're in Houston, the English-only speaking "locals" will just think you are speaking spanish!   ;D

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf