Do You See Na'Vi Going Anywhere?

Started by Na'viyä Tsamsiyu, January 01, 2010, 02:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Like Klingon, and at the growing rate we are at now, do you see the Na'Vi language actually becomming big?

Yes, definately, it'll out Kilngon Kilngon
97 (41.1%)
Maybe, if we keep growing steadily
106 (44.9%)
Not likely, only us, here, are the only enthusaists
6 (2.5%)
Not sure yet, let us devolope the language more
26 (11%)
Pxasik!!!!
1 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 221

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

So, in all honesty guys, do you or do you not think this beautiful language will prosper? :-\

And if you would, post why you voted what you voted....
Want to bring Na'Vi to X-Box live? Send a friend request to "SR Raptor 50" with the word Na'Vi attatched to it! I hope to have at least one friend who i can chat with in Na'Vi. Irayo, Ewya Ngahu. -Raptor

Atoki Atanyä

Well for one thing, it's much nicer to listen to than Klingon, and if people decide to dress up, the Na'vi are a hell of a lot sexier ;)

The current growth rate seems to be fairly amazing, and with Professor Frommer also continuing his work on the Na'vi language, i can see this going places.

And i can't leave this post without a Star Trek reference... KHAAAAAAAAAAN!

Kiyevame :P
Atoki's Guide to Learning Na'vi: Part One is Here!

Taronyu

I'm curious as to what you mean by 'go anywhere.'

We have a fan base. We have conversations. We even have a linguist, though is the creator.

All we need now is Pandora. And some sequels.

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

Go anywhere as in, everyone knows "star trek", and the language you can learn (Klingon). Im wondering if everyone will know "avatar" and Na'Vi in the future.
Want to bring Na'Vi to X-Box live? Send a friend request to "SR Raptor 50" with the word Na'Vi attatched to it! I hope to have at least one friend who i can chat with in Na'Vi. Irayo, Ewya Ngahu. -Raptor

Étienne

I'm sure it will prosper enough to be known around the geek world. All it needs is time.

Eywayä mokri

For me, this movie just entered the clan of the best movies ever. Whatever could happen, it will remain in the memories, for sure.
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Eywayä mokri on January 01, 2010, 03:18:43 AM
For me, this movie just entered the clan of the best movies ever. Whatever could happen, it will remain in the memories, for sure.

And thats why i study Na'Vi. I want to get it known, this movie has made an impact on all of us here, thats why i wanted your guy's opinions.

Tsyeymzi

It depends how much Paul Frommer pushes it, he really needs to give us all some more information; to stop us "making it up", otherwise it'll become chaotic and certainly die out.

...Other than that, we need to spread the word of Na'vi... Anyone got any ideas how to do it without seeming like idiots? Because, face it, talking to people (even friends) and saying Na'vi is great, you should learn some, makes you sound like a bit of a ... Not sure of the right word ... nerd? (But nerd probably isn't the right word either, you get what I mean though).
- The Signature is a Lie -

Atoki Atanyä

Quote from: Morsolo on January 01, 2010, 04:34:07 AM
It depends how much Paul Frommer pushes it, he really needs to give us all some more information; to stop us "making it up", otherwise it'll become chaotic and certainly die out.

...Other than that, we need to spread the word of Na'vi... Anyone got any ideas how to do it without seeming like idiots? Because, face it, talking to people (even friends) and saying Na'vi is great, you should learn some, makes you sound like a bit of a ... Not sure of the right word ... nerd? (But nerd probably isn't the right word either, you get what I mean though).

Just makes you look weird, is what I'm assuming you mean :P
Paul Frommer definitely needs to release something...ANYTHING.... to help boost the language. One way i can think of is if anyone likes the music we offer translated lyrics, or just the lyrics themselves, but without Frommer's help (not his fault, Fox doesn't want to release assets) it'll be hard.

kranapan

Let's kidnap him and make him create more words.

Kiyevame, Eywa ngahu int.

Roiki

If only it would be that simple. In movies everything is usually copyrighted so it's not entirely up to Dr. Frommer to continue the language and still keep it accurate, it needs to be developed in conjunction with the people who hold the rights to it(either fox or lightstorm). Since the movie is doing great and the general public seems to like it there is a potential to make something out of this. I just hope that in time this language becomes complete and it's something i can teach my kids someday.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

I can see the language 'Out Klingon Klingon.' so to speak.

It's beautiful, well written and (so far) fairly simple to learn. For me at least.

As long as we, the proud Unitíranyu who are dedicating ourselfs to learning Na'Vi continue our passion and drive, this language will grow and prosper. The sky is only the beginning.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Robert Nantangä Tirea

I see the language "going" very far among its fan base at least. It's beautifl, it inspires one to learn more of it. I really can't wait to be fluent enough that I can have even some small talk in Na'vi with someone.

I hear that you never truely understand a language unitl you dream in it. THAT day I can't wait for  :D

It's also a very creative language, I see a lot of songs being written/remade in Na'vi because it allows so much inventiveness with the word order and meaning.

Plus it'd make for some damn sexy bedroom talk  ;)

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Quote from: Robert Nantangä Tirea on January 01, 2010, 01:56:42 PM
Plus it'd make for some damn sexy bedroom talk  ;)

-spits out the soda he was drinking- BY EYWA!

Don't say that when people are drinking something. It leads to spit takes  :-X

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

bagget00

Quote from: Morsolo on January 01, 2010, 04:34:07 AM

My friend said I'm obbsessed. I think it should go places if it isn't.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I don't think we'll have to worry to much about Frommer releasing more. Cameron is the one who said he wanted to "out Klingon Klingon." He didn't hire a linguist to create a language just for him to stop. Frommer himself has said that he would love to see a Na'Vi translation of Hamlet. I just doubt we're going to get anymore free information. They're probably working on a book or something they can sell to us. Not that I'd mind buying!

Considering how fast this site is growing I have little doubt that this language will rise among geekdom. I don't think we should start making up to many words yet until we have something official released, but once we have a few thousand words and a much more detailed grasp on the grammar it'll take a life of its own.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

bagget00

"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

Exactly, see the more advanced user's here on the site lurk in the berginner forums correcting us all the time. This whole beginning gives us time to grasp hold of a true understanding of the grammar, infixxes, case, etc. If we had too much information, the site would be like the bio lab, and every beginner question you ask, people would piss on you w/o even the courtesy of calling it rain.

You see, our debates are good, maybe not the making up words part, but some day we will look back at this and say, "lol, our assumptions were way off" but every mistake leads to more prosperity.

Hope we learn well, keep laving insight, this is gret! :)

Naki'Malis

Even Klingon had to start from a few people who were interested in it.

So yes, buut the language is in it's infancy; so it will have some, growing pains, but in time and with interest it can easily match or outclass Klingon (and personally it sounds better :P ))
Quote from: Atoki Atanyä on January 01, 2010, 02:40:55 AM

No no,

KxAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
^_^
Always listening, always learning.

Atoki Atanyä

Quote from: Atoki Atanyä on January 01, 2010, 02:40:55 AM

No no,

KxAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
^_^
[/quote]

AHAHAHAHAH That is a perfect fix :P

Irayo for that :P