Forum Mechanics

Started by 'Tsamsiyu, January 19, 2010, 10:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Tsamsiyu

Hey all

I was just wondering what the Stars and the Karma mean on the left hand side, may seem like a silly questions but help me out here!

I first thought that you gained stars on the amount of posts you make, and then I saw someone with more posts and less stars than me... so the only thing I can think of now is 'Time logged in'.
Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Txontaw

How can you have less stars than one?
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Swok Txon

I do believe you need a combination of posts and high karma

but that is all really know

Kìte'eyä Aungia

When someone applauds one of your posts, your karma goes up. When someone smites one of your posts, it goes down. To applaud or smite, use the little buttons under a user's karma to the left of their post. The stars are, I believe, simply a visual representation of your post count and user group.

Swok Txon

well, that makes things clearer

kintìomum

Is there a way which post got you karma or caused you to loose it? I'm interested in what of the stuff I create exactly someone found worth applauding...
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Swok Txon

No i don't think there is to my knowledge, but some people were suggesting (maybe they still are) that when you applaud or smite somebody that you post a reason why etc.

otherwise, at the moment, i don't believe there is anyway you can tell

'Tsamsiyu

Ah that makes sense.

Quote from: Txontaw on January 19, 2010, 12:43:09 PM
How can you have less stars than one?

Forget that, I'm just going crazy  :P

Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

TorukMakto!

From what I saw in other forums that based on the applaud/smite system or stars system (bad star and good star).
Every applaud gives you a positive number, smite gives you a negative. Every certain amount of applauds will gain you a star or a rank. The option to applaud/smite relates to the number of posts, If I'm not mistaken it's 25 posts here at learnnavi.org . I think also that the name under your user name also changes every certain amount of posts or applauds.

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Quote from: TorukMakto! on January 21, 2010, 07:46:13 PM
From what I saw in other forums that based on the applaud/smite system or stars system (bad star and good star).
Every applaud gives you a positive number, smite gives you a negative. Every certain amount of applauds will gain you a star or a rank.

No, the standard setup for SMF, the software that powers this forum, is stars based solely on post count. Also, certain membergroups like admins have their own specific stars (they're green in this case) instead of post count stars. Online manual and SMF forums are here if anyone really cares:

http://docs.simplemachines.org/

The option to applaud/smite relates to the number of posts, If I'm not mistaken it's 25 posts here at learnnavi.org . I think also that the name under your user name also changes every certain amount of posts or applauds.

That sounds about right.

TorukMakto!

Quote from: Kìte'eyä Aungia on January 21, 2010, 08:13:05 PM
Every applaud gives you a positive number, smite gives you a negative. Every certain amount of applauds will gain you a star or a rank.

No, the standard setup for SMF, the software that powers this forum, is stars based solely on post count. Also, certain membergroups like admins have their own specific stars (they're green in this case) instead of post count stars. Online manual and SMF forums are here if anyone really cares:

http://docs.simplemachines.org/

The option to applaud/smite relates to the number of posts, If I'm not mistaken it's 25 posts here at learnnavi.org . I think also that the name under your user name also changes every certain amount of posts or applauds.

That sounds about right.

OH good, just got the stars wrong, I just knew that you can also pick that option. Irayo for the correction.

Tsawltskxe

And is there any way to check which posts were awarded with good/bad karma? Many php modules have implemented information under/in rated post.
Prawdy życiowe:
QuoteZaprawdę powiadam wam. Kto nie ma w barach, ten ma w jajach.

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Not at the moment. There's a thread about this in the suggestion forums:

http://forum.learnnavi.org/suggestions/karma-record/

Nume fpi sänume

Since the original question was answered here, and I dont see any new information coming around, im gonna lock this.

Kawnga Tawtute

Since the previous topic was closed (actually i don't get why) i post my response here:
the stars do not only depend on how many posts you have... This member: Maggo has 45 posts and 3 stars, i have over 100 and only 2.... see?!?!?

Kìte'eyä Aungia

That's probably because Maggo is in the special usergroup "Dict-navi member". The stars of regular members in regular usergroups should reflect post count.

Toruk Makto

MODERATOR: I re-opened the topic and merged your message here.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tìrey Tsmukan

umm... this may sound stupid, but.... what buttons? I see nothing like a button under a user's karma, (other than the online icon, which if you click sends you to Pm them) the only other thing is the buttons underneath that, which are again just a view profile button, and a PM button... do you have to have a certain amount of posts or karma before you can applaud or smite? Im sorry if I'm being a skxawng, but I need some help!

Irayo, Eywa ngaha.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I think you need either 25 or 35 posts to applaud/smite.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Technowraith

U was looking at my karma and discovered the wonderful world of "Karma Statistics." No idea what half that stuff means, but for some reason i find it amusing. ^.^
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm