48 (21.2%)
Depends.
15 (6.6%)
No.
11 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 210

Hikyuuri

Server located at: ts.learnnavi.org  /  23.239.204.73

To use it, go to http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads and download the Client version for your operating system.  Do not download the Server version.

The first time you run the program, it should ask you for a nickname and help you make sure your mic is set up.  I recommend doing this, as it does help quality a little.

After you install the application, click this link to connect: ts3server://ts.learnnavi.org?port=9987.  If that link doesnt work for whatever reason, do the following.

Open the TeamSpeak 3 application.  Click Connection, then Connect.  In the Address box, put bres-server.ath.cx ts.learnnavi.org.  In the Port box, put 9987.  Make sure your nickname is in the Nickname box and leave the Password box blank.  Click connect..

We are all here to learn the language of Na'vi.  However, how can we learn the language if we cannot speak the language?   The language of Na'vi is meant to be spoken not written.  In fact, the only reason it has a writing system is because we created one for it.  This language was never meant to be written, and yet, that is how we are learning to use it.

We try to make do with the IRC, but the IRC does not let us "speak" the language.  We try to make do with Skype, but Skype requires people to jump through hoops.  We try to use the forum, but we cannot hear the language.  We try to use recordings, but we cannot communicate with the language.

This raises the question, how can we use the language the way it is meant to be used?

The answer: TeamSpeak.

One of the things I hear the most about why people don't want to use a TeamSpeak server is that they are afraid that people on the server may laugh or ridicule them for not knowing the language.  My response to this is that we are all learning the language.  No one knows the language fully, so no one has the ability to laugh at anyone.   We are all here because we want to learn and use the language, not to point fingers when someone makes a mistake.  So, let's LEARN and USE the language the way Dr. Frommer would want us to use it, by speaking it, not by writing it.

If you have any problems, let me know so I can address them as soon as possible.

Official LearnNavi.org TeamSpeak 3 Server Online
TeamSpeak 3 Server Address: ts.learnnavi.org:9987
Instructions can be found HERE!

Seze

I have been thinking of TeamSpeak myself a few times, just never got around to playing with it or setting it up.  I have some hosting space that we could use to host it as well if you'd like. 

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Hikyuuri

Incase I didnt make this clear, I am NOT hosting a TeamSpeak 2 server.  I am hosting a TeamSpeak 3 server, which was just released.

It is MUCH nicer than TeamSpeak 2.  More user friendly, and in my opinion, it looks more like Ventrillo.  It has a much nicer text chat system built in, and higher voice quality settings.

Even if you have hated TeamSpeak in the past, I think you should give this new version a try.  Especially with the Skype chat groups lagging as badly as they are (about an hour of lag at times).

Please, give the new TeamSpeak a try.  Who knows, it could be the free solution we have been looking for to get better live chat sessions with little to no lag.

Let me know of any problems that arise so I can address them as soon as possible.  Also, feel free to post any recommendations for new permanent channels or any additions you would like to see.

~Ayngahu

So far I can voch for this option.

Been online with Hikyuuri. The voice quality is absolutely fine for it's purpose (not as clear as I've experienced on 1on1 skype conversations, but still clear).

I seemed to miss the thing when skype was hot - as I heard it was these past few weeks - but possibly because of ended hollidays, it's not near as active, says a few users there. In any event, a voice chat program where you can log on and start speaking right away (without the struggle to add 200+ to your list) is a huge win in my opinion. Team Speak 3 also features an exellent chat feature for such needs.

Performance under preasure is unknown at this moment, but so far I wouldn't disreguard this as a great platform for vocalizing our Na'Vi :)

I believe it's important for our community to have voice communication as a feature for taking Na'Vi to fluency. I haven't read any of the posts on ventrilo, as I just took Hikyuuri's offer on skype (I wanted to get voice chat started).

Eywa ayngahu.
A big thankyou to DrBinder for creating my forum avatar :)

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Suteyä Hawnuyu te Gay'tä Muiä-Eyaye'ite

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Seze

It seems to be working.  Nice to be able to talk to people...

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: Suteyä Hawnuyu on January 16, 2010, 08:11:29 PM
Connected! Woo!

Haha, sorry. I thought it was a normal chatroom, not a voice chat.  :P I prefer not to have people hear/see me in real life. Is there a function that enables me to only utilize normal typing chat?

Also, sorry I cut you off (whoever I did that to). My sister and I were really freaked out that there was a real person talking to us without our consent. xD

~Ayngahu

Quote from: Suteyä Hawnuyu on January 16, 2010, 08:22:04 PM
Quote from: Suteyä Hawnuyu on January 16, 2010, 08:11:29 PM
Connected! Woo!

Haha, sorry. I thought it was a normal chatroom, not a voice chat.  :P I prefer not to have people hear/see me in real life. Is there a function that enables me to only utilize normal typing chat?

Also, sorry I cut you off (whoever I did that to). My sister and I were really freaked out that there was a real person talking to us without our consent. xD

You're more than welcome to log on and not use microphone, in my oppinion :) There's no video feed, so if you wont use microphone, we can't hear or see you (just like a chat). Also, you can easily chat (a nice chat featured) and - perhas the best thing - is that you have a chance of hearing the others training their pronunciation, so you can do that for yourself along the way :)

Eywa ngahu, ma Suteyä Hawnuyu :)
A big thankyou to DrBinder for creating my forum avatar :)

Hikyuuri

Well, im sorry for the confusion.  To clarify for future reference, TeamSpeak is a live audio chat system.  It does have a text chat system built into it that people can use, and I have created "Text Chat Only" channels, however, im sure the majority of users will be using voice chat.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

OmegaQ1

ok i just tried to install it and everything but while its instaling it eventually says
.\install.exe is not a valid Win32 application
while it is doing something like "extracting" something
im not sure exactly whats wrong
It's my job to keep you alive. I will not succeed. -Colonel Quaritch

Nume fpi sänume

Thanks for setting this up. Later tonight when i have free time, I will be trying it out, since I am a HUGE Teamspeak hater, but Im willing to give server 3 a try.

Hikyuuri

OmegaQ1: Which file are you downloading?

OmegaQ1

Quote from: Hikyuuri on January 16, 2010, 09:02:30 PM
OmegaQ1: Which file are you downloading?
client 64bit,is there a difference in the 64 bit's and the 32 bit's programs

Hikyuuri

Yes.  There is.  Its a programming thing.

In short, you should download whichever file matches your OS.  So, if your OS is a 32 bit, download the 32 bit file.  If your OS is a 64 bit, download the 64 bit file.

If you don't know what type of system you have, there is an easy way to tell (Windows XP, Vista, and 7).  Right click My Computer/Computer and select Properties.  This will open a window.  Look through this window for something like "System Type: 32 Bit" or "Operating System: Windows XP 64 Bit".

Any questions or problems, let me know.

OmegaQ1

well as far as i can tell it says nothing about 32 or 64 bit but i will try to install the 32 one istead to see if it works.

Hikyuuri

Ya, I would recommend, if you can't figure out what OS you have, using the 32 bit file.  64 Bit systems are compatible with 32 bit programs, so it should work.  However, 32 bit systems are not compatible with 64 bit programs.

OmegaQ1

alright it worked i guess it was the 32 one,well im connecting right now, irayo Hikyuuri

Seze

I've been using the Team Speak 3 server today for a few hours.  I have been very pleased with it so far.  Its really easy to talk to people and it does have a text chatting feature that is quite similar to skype.  To be honest, it feels a lot like skype, but its centralized and makes it much easier to connect to the main server and then start talking, unlike skype which can be very difficult to get setup and working.  I would highly recommend giving Team Speak 3 a test run.  It is a much needed improvement over the older Team Speak 2 system.

Hikyuuri

I have to ask:

It says that 12 people have answered yes to my question on would they use my server.  Well, the server is online, and it has been for 2 days now, but so far, only 6 people have used it.

The server is fully online.  You can connect to it whenever.  If you have problems, let me know.  The information on how to connect is in the first post of this topic.