Learn Na'vi Wiki

Started by Payoang, December 22, 2009, 07:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

Quote from: okrìsti on February 06, 2011, 08:58:10 AM
Hi, it appears, that you already have an account since March 2010. :o
Oh, sorry! I thought all accounts had been reset with new account-creation policy. :-[
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Quote from: Carborundum on February 06, 2011, 08:44:27 AM
If I had an account I could fix these whenever I run into them.

I think that you think that the dictionary source is on the official learn navi wiki http://wiki.learnnavi.org/ .  It is not (yet).  I have started a wiki over at http://navi.referata.com/ which does have all of the dictionary up and is correctable, but it is not the official database for the dictionary.  Bug Payoang if you want it to become such.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

wm.annis

I'd like to request an account for myself, with the username Carborundum if possible.
I've recently begun using the Wiki dictionary to maintain my Anki deck, and occasionally I find minor errors (most recently the IPA for tìsla'tsu: [tɪ.ˈsla.ʦu]). If I had an account I could fix these whenever I run into them.

Hooray!  Someone else updating the Wiki vocabulary!

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on February 06, 2011, 10:29:23 AM
If I had an account I could fix these whenever I run into them.

I think that you think that the dictionary source is on the official learn navi wiki http://wiki.learnnavi.org/ .  It is not (yet).  I have started a wiki over at http://navi.referata.com/ which does have all of the dictionary up and is correctable, but it is not the official database for the dictionary.  Bug Payoang if you want it to become such.

There is no such thing as "the official database" for a Na'vi dictionary.  There are currently two active dictionary projects with different goals.  The PDF one by Taronyu is database-driven and multilingual.  The one on the wiki is textual and has examples and reference citations for the word and their examples.  Discussions are starting on ways to merge these two projects, preserving the best of both of them, but that'll be a more complex programming task than anything that has happened so far.

No wiki, not even a semantic wiki, is a good replacement for a proper dictionary management system.

Carborundum

If I have any questions/thoughts/opinions about a page on the wiki, should I post about it in this thread or on that page's talk page?
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

wm.annis

Quote from: Carborundum on February 06, 2011, 11:15:01 AM
If I have any questions/thoughts/opinions about a page on the wiki, should I post about it in this thread or on that page's talk page?

Probably that page's talk page, unless it's a truly massive issue.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Quote from: wm.annis on February 06, 2011, 11:03:27 AM
No wiki, not even a semantic wiki, is a good replacement for a proper dictionary management system.

Nevertheless, I'm taking Captain Solo and his friends. You can either profit by this or be destroyed. It's your choice, but I warn you not to underestimate my power.

Seriously, I don't think this is beyond a semantic wiki.  We have all the English definitions up and the other languages with complete dictionaries will be up soon too.  Once we started adding morphologically parsed version of all the official examples, linking to examples of any word or grammar feature will be automagic.

I know nothing us official, Prof Annis, as you say in your grammar intro until Cameron OK's it, but I think the LN community should take public ownership of dictionaries and the grammars and make them public in an open source way.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

wm.annis

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on February 06, 2011, 12:30:38 PM
Seriously, I don't think this is beyond a semantic wiki.

I know for a fact a semantic wiki is unsuited to certain dictionary uses.  You sure wouldn't want to write a machine translation program backed with a wiki.  Pretty much any intense querying would be bad news.  An actual database is a better choice for this.  Which is not to say I think a semantic wiki based vocabulary is useless.  It just isn't suited for certain tasks you want a full dictionary application for.

QuoteI know nothing us official, Prof Annis, as you say in your grammar intro until Cameron OK's it, but I think the LN community should take public ownership of dictionaries and the grammars and make them public in an open source way.

Everything already is open source, so I'm hardly disputing that.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Quote from: wm.annis on February 06, 2011, 01:38:05 PM
Everything already is open source, so I'm hardly disputing that.

ngaytxoa, I just meant that it's not portable/exportable in the PDF format.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Toruk Makto

That has been by deliberate design.  At the current fairly fragile stage of the Na'vi language, we have been trying to limit the editability of material souced from LearnNavi. It's not about exclusivity, it's more about making sure that LN materials do not in any way create version conflicts.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Eltu Lefngap Makto

The wiki is pretty locked down (especially by wiki standards).  Only three or four people even attempt to edit anything there, myself included.  The wiki software is very nice in its ability to remember and undo edit history, so I don't think marauding bandits is a real threat.  Especially if we implement Semantic Mediawiki as an added layer, then things like citing sources and referencing Frommerian examples can be mandatory.
I am opposed to multiple versions in the strongest possible way; those impossible non-Frommerian examples at the end of the dictionary make me sick!  I am not looking to open the flood gates of iniquity, just allowing vetted, eager people a visible, web 3.0 way to contribute.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

eejmensenikbenhet

Can someone create an account for me?
Since I'm going to help translating Hamlet into Hämlet I will need to be able to change pages and so on.

Thanks.

wm.annis

Quote from: eejmensenikbenhet on February 27, 2011, 06:14:10 PM
Can someone create an account for me?

Please tell me you want a shorter login name for the wiki than you have here.  ;)

In any case, we need to know for sure what you want for a login name.

okrìsti

Just guessing: something like "EMIBH"? :)
dA | nga tsun oehu pivlltxe fa skype: c4duser
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu
txopu lu fya'o ne vawma pa'o – nawma karyu Yotxa

eejmensenikbenhet

Quote from: okrìsti on February 27, 2011, 11:22:36 PM
Just guessing: something like "EMIBH"? :)
Srane, that would be fine :P

okrìsti

awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu

Blue Elf

Hello,
can I ask for account creation? I'd like to work on Lion King. Account name = eana.elf or something similar, if dots are prohibited
Irayo si
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

wm.annis

Quote from: Blue Elf on June 22, 2011, 02:09:34 PM
can I ask for account creation? I'd like to work on Lion King. Account name = eana.elf or something similar, if dots are prohibited

Dots are fine.  IM me the email address you want attached to the account.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I would like an account, also for working on The Lion King (and other stuff in the future, when I have time  ::) )

Username: eylan.falulukana
You can PM the password to me here, or email to [email protected]

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

okrìsti

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on August 05, 2011, 01:49:18 AM
I would like an account, also for working on The Lion King (and other stuff in the future, when I have time  ::) )

Username: eylan.falulukana
You can PM the password to me here, or email to [email protected]

Done. The wiki system capitalizes the user names, but I believe you can use lower case for the login, too.
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu

Äteya

May I please have one? Just in case I ever learn enough Na'vi to help.
I'd like my user name to be Äteya.
Just PM me the password.