LearnNavi.org outage Dec. 23, 2011

Started by Toruk Makto, December 23, 2011, 10:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

I was pleased by Toruk Makto's decision to bail, and I applaud you for taking a stand.
I'm also glad to see that other sites have also bailed.  I hope GoDaddy has a negative quarter!

Payoang

Quote from: Ateyo Te Syaksyuk on December 25, 2011, 12:00:44 AM
I was pleased by Toruk Makto's decision to bail, and I applaud you for taking a stand.
I'm also glad to see that other sites have also bailed.  I hope GoDaddy has a negative quarter!

It was Markì's and my decision; we can't support companies that are so abhorrently blinded by their greed. And GoDaddy most certainly will have a bad quarter: They lost 20154 domains in the last few days.

Toruk Makto

Shucky darn.  Serves 'em right.

And just for the record, Payoang rolled the righteousness here. It was his decision to make the move. I just piped up when it was noticed that GoDaddy had hosed the transfer.

Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Payoang on December 25, 2011, 01:27:29 AM
They lost 20154 domains in the last few days
21,054, not 20,154. ;) Also, they had a bad week all the way around:

Domain transfers by day over the past week (estimates only, I doubt these are round numbers):
QuoteMonday (8,800)
Tuesday (13,000)
Wednesday (14,500)
Thursday (15,000)
Friday (21,054)
So 72,354 domains total this past week. Assuming $6.99 each, that's a $505754.46 loss in 5 days. Serves 'em right for supporting internet censorship.

Worse, they haven't actually withdrawn their support, and are exempt from the current versions, meaning its possible they'd get a good selling point from supporting it.

Hopefully, these transfer numbers will stay up and they'll reconsider providing ANY support for it.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Toruk Makto

This is all before the bail on GoDaddy day on the 29th, and with most of the techie world out on holiday right now. Next week will be the real row.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on December 23, 2011, 11:24:16 PM
http://www.godaddy.com/newscenter/release-view.aspx?news_item_id=378&isc=smtwsup

GoDaddy reversed their position and is no longer supporting SOPA.

GoDaddy still sucks though.

I can announce that .skxawng.lu domains isn't anywhere near them, and they never was either.

'Oma Tirea

Nì'awve, I applaud your decision, ma Markì :)

Nìmuve, I'm always grateful to miss these outages :P ;D

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Toruk Makto on December 25, 2011, 04:53:59 PM
This is all before the bail on GoDaddy day on the 29th, and with most of the techie world out on holiday right now. Next week will be the real row.
...and I thought this week's stats were bad.

I'll be out of town on the 29th, but I'll be sure to watch the news (and this topic) if I can find free wifi :)

Here's hoping that the transfers next week will convince them to officially withdraw support in congress. Having one of (if not the) largest registrar/hosting companies in the country abandon the bill could do some serious damage...
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Toruk Makto

Since the US now has a government of the business, by the business and for the business, perhaps it will take a business to make an influence.

Markì

Human No More

Congratulations on your move to a more appropriate registrar ;D

This whole SOPA business makes me so glad I decided to never use godaddy back at the time of their censorship of seclists. The fact that they have now done a U-turn on SOPA is nothing more than damage control - they initially said 'it won't affect us', before realising just how big the backlash will be. Suddenly opposing it is a transparent attempt to salvage their reputation (which was already badly damaged even before SOPA) and profit margin.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Seze

Well, I just finished moving 5 domains to name.com.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available