LearnNavi.org outage Dec. 23, 2011

Started by Toruk Makto, December 23, 2011, 10:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

Due to GoDaddy's unfortunate decision to enthusiastically support the unconstitutional SOPA bill before the US congress, it was decided that we would no longer use them as domain registrar for LearnNavi.org. In the process of moving to our new registrar, the zone authority was incorrectly applied by GoDaddy (no big surprise) which caused the entire domain to be unavailable for over an hour. As the stale cached data from GoDaddy begins to expire around the world over the next 60 minutes, everything should get back to normal.

Apologies for the fuss, but we simply couldn't continue to do business with GoDaddy.

ta Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Payoang

Quote from: Toruk Makto on December 23, 2011, 10:44:58 PM
Due to GoDaddy's unfortunate decision to enthusiastically support the unconstitutional SOPA bill before the US congress, it was decided that we would no longer use them as domain registrar for LearnNavi.org. In the process of moving to our new registrar, the zone authority was incorrectly applied by GoDaddy (no big surprise) which caused the entire domain to be unavailable for over an hour. As the stale cached data from GoDaddy begins to expire around the world over the next 60 minutes, everything should get back to normal.

Apologies for the fuss, but we simply couldn't continue to do business with GoDaddy.

ta Markì

My name is Payoang and I support this message. Glad to be back :)

Toruk Makto

ma Payoang, please to check the zone file. Lots of A records are pointing to bogus IPs...

guest2859

So judging from what I understand, Godaddy completely threw LN off the boat, and corrupted information to try and keep it from getting back up?

Swoka Ikran

2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

DJ Makto

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on December 23, 2011, 11:24:16 PM
http://www.godaddy.com/newscenter/release-view.aspx?news_item_id=378&isc=smtwsup

GoDaddy reversed their position and is no longer supporting SOPA.

That did not prevent the 55 or so aged domains in my possession from getting moved to Namecheap.  8)

guest2859

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on December 23, 2011, 11:24:16 PM
http://www.godaddy.com/newscenter/release-view.aspx?news_item_id=378&isc=smtwsup

GoDaddy reversed their position and is no longer supporting SOPA.

QuoteGo Daddy's newly appointed CEO, said. "It's very important that all Internet stakeholders work together on this. Getting it right is worth the wait. Go Daddy will support it when and if the Internet community supports it."

Go Daddy and its General Counsel, Christine Jones, have worked with federal lawmakers for months to help craft revisions to legislation first introduced some three years ago.

That just means they're taking the winning side, whichever it may be.

Toruk Makto

Excuse my negativity, but GoDaddy's about face is just them being a two-faced profit whore. They were involved in the authorship of SOPA which tells me all I need to know about GoDaddy. From this and other crap in the past, my opinion stands.

Markì

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Nantang 'Rrtayä on December 23, 2011, 11:13:43 PM
So judging from what I understand, Godaddy completely threw LN off the boat, and corrupted information to try and keep it from getting back up?

We threw ourselves off the boat and GoDaddy screwed up the transfer.

guest2859

Quote from: Toruk Makto on December 24, 2011, 12:18:44 AM
Quote from: Nantang 'Rrtayä on December 23, 2011, 11:13:43 PM

Ah, I see. Agreed with above statement also.

Tirea Aean

Swoka Ikran

I'd personally like to see GoDaddy take some sort of active stance against it as an apology for endorsing/helping write it, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

I've never used them myself, but having read plenty of complaints about them, I'm not surprised.

If I buy a domain, it definitely won't be from them. There's plenty of other registrars, and hosting is abundant.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

guest2859

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on December 24, 2011, 12:37:00 AM
I'd personally like to see GoDaddy take some sort of active stance against it as an apology for endorsing/helping write it, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

I've never used them myself, but having read plenty of complaints about them, I'm not surprised.

If I buy a domain, it definitely won't be from them. There's plenty of other registrars, and hosting is abundant.

Yeah... Judging from all the boycott threats they've been getting, I think it'd be in their favor to do that, but like you said, unlikely.

Personally I wouldn't host with them either, mainly because they use a sexual theme to endorse their business of domain hosting. (Sounds like the CEO has an addiction to something)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Nantang 'Rrtayä on December 24, 2011, 12:45:06 AM
Personally I wouldn't host with them either, mainly because they use a sexual theme to endorse their business of domain hosting. (Sounds like the CEO has an addiction to something)
Their advertising is something else. Some of the commercials are probably pushing the limits of what can be shown on a TV ad, and a lot of the web content should be rated at least R.

Tsmuktengan

Kudos for you, ma Toruk Makto. I was about to ask about this issue, as I just read in French computer press that GoDaddy did support SOPA, before "changing it's mind", seeing so many people migrating to other hosting providers.

I'm not pleased by GoDaddy at all, if they are able to penalize their customers by messing with their site's transfer, what should you expect from them? Nothing.

Nyx

Ftiafpi

All I can say is it was worth the outage to get away from GoDaddy.

Seze

I still have a number of domains with GoDaddy, I guess I've been living under a rock these past few days and missed all the commotion, but I'll probably move mine sometime in the near future.  What is the new registrar we're on now?

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Toruk Makto

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The site was out here more than 12 hours.

At work, where our connection sits on Internet 2, the outage was about 20 minutes.

Wise decision Marki and Payoang. A permanent hit to their business for supporting such wretched legislation should teach people who want to control the internet a stern lesson. Now, I wish I could do something similar to those who support animal rights.....

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]