Na'vi Skype and IRC

Started by Antony, December 22, 2009, 08:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirealì'u

There have been plenty of complaints in the channel from those who have used IRC before, and I am also still strongly of that opinion on EFnet unless I get a lot of proof to the contrary. There were also no complaints of where the channel was before, but it was up and moved without any discussion that I saw aside from a post here informing people of the move and a topic change doing the same.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would move to EFNet. I've been on IRC for a long time and I've never had a good experience on that network - and I've never had a bad experience on any other. Even if it is calmer than it was years back when I use to be there, it is still about as backward as using an Apple II when perfectly good modern computers are available - a novelty of an old era perhaps, but hardly practical.

Ultimately it doesn't matter all that much. I have no stake in this channel other than enjoying it, and if the bots in the channel get hacked or duped somehow, or something else bad happens, then at least we have an admin who can maybe help (although past experiences tell me you can't, actually, do anything in those situations). That's something, at least.

Oh well, at least there's the benefit I never have to worry about using a different name than I usually use on IRC on that network, as I'll never use another channel there. :-P

((As a note: I don't want to seem like I'm just being whiny, stubborn, and difficult - I'm just genuinely concerned about having the channel on that network. I have a very difficult time of not associating EFNet as being the giant joke of IRC.))

Robert Nantangä Tirea

I think it should be noted on the first post that you can go here...

Tools > Options > IM & SMS > Clear History

... to clear your Skype chat history. Several days of thousands of IMs adding up and it WILL start bogging your performance down (I removed mine and my CPU usage with skype running dropped from ~40% to ~10%)

As well you can set Skype to never remember IMs on that page. (it deletes all currently received ones after you close Skype).

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Hawnu UnilTxep

Add me, rutxe.

quiltxep

Irayo!

Please PM me if you are still interested in the real Na'vi tribe.

Sarkath

Quote from: Unil Txep on January 02, 2010, 02:05:00 PM
Add me, rutxe.

quiltxep

Irayo!

You are not showing up on searches :P

Brainiac

Apparently, the high attraction skype has on people seems to have an effect on the sound-performance.
We've got so many people, everyone sounds like a robot on helium.
Are there any known remedies?
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Eywayä mokri

The one who has the biggest connexion has to host the conversation. :) Because his bandwidth is shared to the others. :)
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

Sarkath

As far as I know, 18 is the most I can host without losing a lot of quality.  Robert I believe has T1 :D  Taruia is like the third best host.  Although Rob has never hosted, I think.

Taronyu

To be honest, I didn't realise that this was a controversial issue. I had set up the chatroom on freenode because that was just what I was using more often for Linguistics chat. But I am not a mod, nor an op, and I thought that it might be better to have those. I wasn't aware that EFNET sucked, although I still fail to see why people think that - but I am not a veteran IRC user, I am just a normal IRC user.

I didn't want a fragmented room. I looked at both chatrooms, and saw that EFnet has more people in it, so I moved. Since the first on Freenode was my decision anyway, and people rarely talked, I thought this was chill.

By all means, if you guys want to change rooms back, or do something else, let me know. Again, I'm just another user on IRC, and a newbie at that.

Brainiac

Mine is pretty clear, but I'm not sure O.o
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Toruk Makto

Tirealì'u ma tsmukan, your points are valid and well made.

I was pondering that we don't really need to be linked to a network at all except for the redundancy. I was thinking to spin up a dedicated server just for us. The hardware I have is in a high-availability location with multiple uplinks, so I am not too worried about downtime.  And this way we could suit up a couple of other people to help admin the thing when I am out on a gig, set up user and channel services, have longer nicknames, and a whole host of personalized perks.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Roiki

For the average user, EFnet doesn't usually suck, most of the time it's as quiet and peaceful as any other server, at least the server i normally use, so its all the same to me are we staying or going.

Quote from: Txepäsiyu on January 02, 2010, 06:33:43 PM
I was pondering that we don't really need to be linked to a network at all except for the redundancy. I was thinking to spin up a dedicated server just for us. The hardware I have is in a high-availability location with multiple uplinks, so I am not too worried about downtime.  And this way we could suit up a couple of other people to help admin the thing when I am out on a gig, set up user and channel services, have longer nicknames, and a whole host of personalized perks.

Any thoughts from anyone?

The first thing i thought is how well it suits to the users outside of the US?. Having our own server would have its perks but it would be nice to know what kind of traffic it can support, how well it takes connections from the other side of the world and so on.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Roiki

The equipment that most people have pretty much suck sound quality wise, not to mention the computers compression and coding methods(ye, audiophile speaking) so the lower quality isn't entirely up to the bandwidth of the host.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Sarkath

Not saying it is, just saying that only some people have the Internet to be able to host so many people. Personally I use a Mac and must have the best of everything, which makes me :D but my wallet  :'(

hiyìka fyawìntxu

Hi. Skype (full name) is the same as my forum name. Please add me.

Irayo.

tspang tsam

hey when you have a chance could u add me ? im baseballman32

irayo

Eywayä Nantang

Kaltxi, my sype name is the same as forum but no caps
My personal mantra: "Do not growl at them, or hiss,or do anything that makes you seem a little crazy and/or an animal"

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Hi

I would like to listen in on the Skype chat. I have had no success in getting Skype to cooperate, but I was told to come her and post my Skype name ("Dusty White," or dusty.white). I have read the posts here, but I will reread them all again, just in case I can get info on how to make this thing work.

Thanks in advance.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

bagget00

skype is free right. people here keep telling me that it's free but my friends offline say it costs money.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Sarkath

Your friends are noobs, stop talking to them. It is 100% free, unless you use it as a real phone.

bagget00

Irayo for calling all of my friends noobs. :P
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/