Site not loading

Started by El Jacko, March 12, 2010, 10:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Jacko

For some strange reason, none of the Learnnavi sites (with the exception of the Wiki) will load properly on my home network. Currently, the only way I can get round it is via a US-based proxy server.

Anyone else having this?
'Look at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us...on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam' - Carl Sagan

G.Sully

Here its normal

Maybe its your flash player of your navigator
G.Sully *Breathe* Carol Sully  *-*

♥ Carol ♥ Outstanding Sully 

♥ Oel ngati Kameie ♥

--*Everything is backwards now, like out there is the true world and in here is the dream--*

El Jacko

Tried both of those, still no luck. I think its the network, nothing on my home internet (i.e. phones, consoles, etc) will connect to LN.
'Look at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us...on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam' - Carl Sagan

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: El Jacko on March 16, 2010, 02:39:12 PM
Tried both of those, still no luck. I think its the network, nothing on my home internet (i.e. phones, consoles, etc) will connect to LN.

Did you check the following:

• Do the hostnames resolve properly? If not: Check DNS settings of your router and all connected machines
  • Do the LN hosts answer to ICMP Echo aka ping?
  • If ping doesn't work test using traceroute if the problem is somewhere between your ISP and LN
  • Last but not least check if there are any proxy servers inbetween, which could be borked

kxanì tsamsiyu

Yes i was going to recommend doing these.
  • Do the hostnames resolve properly? If not: Check DNS settings of your router and all connected machines
  • Do the LN hosts answer to ICMP Echo aka ping?
sorry i cant help more but im pretty tired, my minds wandering. :-\

Hikyuuri

I would try a ping and a trace route.

If you don't know how to do these, heres what you do:

1. Open Command Prompt.  In Windows Vista and 7, type "cmd" (without the ") in the little search bar in the start menu and hit enter.  This will bring up the Command Prompt.  In XP, click start, all programs, accessories, and Command Prompt should be somewhere in there.
2. In the Command Prompt, type "Ping www.learnnavi.org" (again, without the ").  Hit enter.  It should attempt 4 pings.  If the pings are successful, it should appear something like this:

If the pings fail, it will look something like this:

3.  If the Ping is successful, I'm not sure what the problem is.  If the Ping fails, continue to step 4.
4.  Type "tracert www.learnnavi.org" (again, without the ") and hit enter.  This will trace the route through the internet your computer uses to get to LearnNavi.org.  It will log every "hop" (internet device) that your connection goes through to get to the LearnNavi server.  It should look something like this:

If it fails, it will look something like this:

If the trace route looks like the first one, then again, it should work as that shows that your computer is able to communicate with every internet device (hop) on its path to LearnNavi.org.  If it looks like the lower one (where after a certain device it starts to time out (thats what the * represents), you have a break somewhere in the communication path to the LearnNavi server.  Note that the "-------------------" line in the last test is to represent that the Trace Route will continue to produce "*" until it gets to hop 30.

Let us know what you learn from these tests so we can help you further.

Official LearnNavi.org TeamSpeak 3 Server Online
TeamSpeak 3 Server Address: ts.learnnavi.org:9987
Instructions can be found HERE!

El Jacko

Well, I've done the tests you said. Ping test failed spectacularly, but the traceroute managed to get somewhere.

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: El Jacko on March 16, 2010, 03:58:59 PM

That trace shows, that it's likely not a problem on your side. The packets drop two hops after your ISP's dial-in node, but apparently still within the ISPs network. There's one thing you could try: Reduce the MTU, it's somewhere on the advanced settings of the router. Try setting it to something like 1400. Then check packet filter (aka firewall) settings of the router, if nothing is blockes/filtered.

If nothing of that helps, the best course of action would be to contact the ISP, get through the level 1 support directly to the tech guys, and tell them, they got a problem with some of their routers.

Hikyuuri

Yeah, that appears to still be inside the ISPs network.  They may have a problem with one of their routers.

Did it ever work on your home connection?  Or has it always been like this?

El Jacko

Quote from: Hikyuuri on March 16, 2010, 04:27:17 PM
Did it ever work on your home connection?  Or has it always been like this?

Used to work, packed up about 4 days ago.

Hikyuuri

I would give your ISP a call and explain the situation to them.  Explain to them that the webside used to work, but a few days ago something changed and prevents it from working.

Best of luck to you!