Standard script

Started by guitarsniper, December 21, 2009, 01:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarsniper

coming off of some discussion in one of the other threads leaves me realizing that one of the first things we'll need on this forum is to make sure that everybody who writes something in na'vi is using the same markings for the same things. let's get on this, guys!
ayoengl fa ftia emz<ay>a'<ei>u

Karyu Amawey

I will have to apologize, seeing as I am the one who created the PDF.  I am a linguistics major and it helps me read Na'Vi when it is in IPA.  However, to ammend that, I say we use the Na'Vi script of:

px, tx, kx, p, t, k, m, n, y, l, r, ts, h, s, z, f, v, ', and the vowels
Oel ayngati kameie

Sarkath

Tirealì'u

I agree we use the 'standard' script rather than IPA. As much as I'd like to learn IPA, I bet there's plenty of people out there who'd get scared off if we started exclusively using that.

However, I think it would be fantastic for people to use it as a way to help people learn to pronounce the words in specific situations.

Karyu Amawey

In which case the vowels are i, ì, e, ä, a, u, o.
Oel ayngati kameie

guitarsniper

how did you get those in this text editor?

also, i know one of the other boards is talking about having beginner, intermediate, and advanced. maybe we could use this for the beginner and IPA in intermediate and advanced.
ayoengl fa ftia emz<ay>a'<ei>u

zombatt

Quote from: Karyu amawey on December 21, 2009, 01:39:55 AM
ì

how does one input that letter? I can do í just fine but I'd like to stick with whats there

Karyu Amawey

The only thing with IPA is it's rather difficult to write out long streams of text.  I think IPA is great for those who can read it and want to easily pronounce Na'Vi, but its definitely not a bad idea!
Oel ayngati kameie

Tirealì'u

ì = alt+0236
ä = alt+0228

HawkPidgeon

Quote from: zombatt on December 21, 2009, 01:42:09 AM
ì

how does one input that letter? I can do í just fine but I'd like to stick with whats there

In Windows, you have to enable the US-International keyboard. Once you do that, it's as simple as typing ` and then i. Assuming you're using Windows 3.x or later, this is a good guide: http://www.studyspanish.com/accents/typing.htm#winXP

That guide also covers typing international characters in Mac OS.
Fìtsenge lu Eywayä kelku, sì fìtsenge lor lu. | Oel oeti kameie fa ngeyä menari.

zombatt

using a mac here, I can do í just fine but thats not the right direction ack

Karyu Amawey

Changing the keyboard to international really helped!  Thanks
Oel ayngati kameie

Sarkath

zombat: hit Option +` then i. :P I am also on a Mac. <3

Skxawng

Quote from: Sarkath on December 21, 2009, 01:50:21 AM
zombat: hit Option +` then i. :P I am also on a Mac. <3

ì  !

<3

Irayo, tsmukan!

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Tirealì'u

Quote from: HawkPidgeon on December 21, 2009, 01:44:13 AM
Quote from: zombatt on December 21, 2009, 01:42:09 AM
ì

In Windows, you have to enable the US-International keyboard. Once you do that, it's as simple as typing ` and then i. Assuming you're using Windows 3.x or later, this is a good guide: http://www.studyspanish.com/accents/typing.htm#winXP

That guide also covers typing international characters in Mac OS.

Your  way is better than my way. I have adapted. :-)

This'll drive me crazy when I'm quoting something starting with "a" for a while though (just like that).

Karyu Amawey

Hmm, I'm still having troubling typing ì even though i changed my settings
Oel ayngati kameie

Karyu Amawey

So, I know I can't wait to make myself some good old fashioned index cards to start memorizing Na'Vi.  Funny how a fictional language relieves so much of the pressure that a language like Spanish, which has been around for many many more years, comes with!
Oel ayngati kameie

Skxawng

Quote from: Karyu amawey on December 21, 2009, 02:08:07 AM
So, I know I can't wait to make myself some good old fashioned index cards to start memorizing Na'Vi.  Funny how a fictional language relieves so much of the pressure that a language like Spanish, which has been around for many many more years, comes with!

yeah we're all really new :) I think that's one of the more appealing parts to learning it.

ack I need to sleep, later all!

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Sarkath

I hear ya. French was a pain because we never learned how to converse.  So I never bothered memorizing anything, for five years...

Eywayä mokri

I think that the difficulty in the Na'vi language is that it has no real links with the languages we are all talking. You can't make links to latin basis or spoken latin based languages.

---

Edit: I have just a question about the writing of the Na'vi language. We often see some things like that...for example when you wanna say a long river you can it like that "ngim-a    kilvan". But my question is the following, do we have to write like that or this is just to see the grammatical part being stressed? Is "ngima kilvan" the way it has to be written then?
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°