Official Na'vi Dictionary

Started by Tirea Aean, May 23, 2011, 11:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

I spotted a little mistake in the text of swawtsyìp:

PF n. litte moment, second (derived from swaw moment)
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Blue Elf

Noticed small typo:
ngrrpongu: PF n. grassroots movemenet (c.w. from ngrr root and pongu party)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Plumps

Noticed that kawtseng and tsapo is not yet in it.
From here

Toruk Makto

Ngrrpongu definition corrected. Kawtseng and tsapo added. New revision is 12.22.

Irayo!

Puvomun

Quote from: Markì on June 21, 2011, 08:16:10 AM
Ngrrpongu definition corrected. Kawtseng and tsapo added. New revision is 12.22.

Irayo!

Dutch dictionary updated as well.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on June 21, 2011, 05:27:34 PM
Quote from: Kä'eng on June 21, 2011, 05:02:09 PM
u'\xcc' is Ì, which is in the word 'Ìnglìsì in naviWords.txt. u'\x92' is ' (right single quote), which is present in two lines of eng.txt:
"be busy (negative sense): be tired out and overwhelmed by an activity that's keeping one busy"
"in a fashion as if one's life were at stake"
Since these characters are not in CP437, you get an error trying to print them to the console.
That explains the errors :)

I guess TA should change the ' with a ', and change the Ì to a lowercase ì.

Also...I rewrote the updater and am debugging it now. It asks before installing updates and offers to try again if any of the 11 files fail during download.

One thing I discovered in the process: you never published an est.txt file on tirea.skxawng.lu

If it's cool, I'm gonna do the bold red thing.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 21, 2011, 10:32:37 PM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on June 21, 2011, 05:27:34 PM
Quote from: Kä'eng on June 21, 2011, 05:02:09 PM
u'\xcc' is Ì, which is in the word 'Ìnglìsì in naviWords.txt. u'\x92' is ' (right single quote), which is present in two lines of eng.txt:
"be busy (negative sense): be tired out and overwhelmed by an activity that's keeping one busy"
"in a fashion as if one's life were at stake"
Since these characters are not in CP437, you get an error trying to print them to the console.
That explains the errors :)

I guess TA should change the ' with a ', and change the Ì to a lowercase ì.

Also...I rewrote the updater and am debugging it now. It asks before installing updates and offers to try again if any of the 11 files fail during download.

One thing I discovered in the process: you never published an est.txt file on tirea.skxawng.lu

If it's cool, I'm gonna do the bold red thing.

lu hasey.

Kä'eng

'Ìnglìsì is a proper name, so I would say it should be capitalized like the other names. If a program can't display Ì, the problem is better dealt with in that specific program.
Ma evi, ke'u ke lu prrte' to fwa sim tuteot ayawne.
Slä txo tuteo fmi 'ivampi ngat ro seng, fu nìfya'o, a 'eykefu ngati vä', tsakem ke lu sìltsan.
Tsaw lu ngeyä tokx! Kawtu ke tsun nìmuiä 'ivampi ngat txo ngal ke new tsakemit.
Ha kempe si nga? Nì'awve, nga plltxe san kehe. Tsakrr, ngal tsatsengti hum!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kä'eng on June 22, 2011, 06:44:28 PM
'Ìnglìsì is a proper name, so I would say it should be capitalized like the other names. If a program can't display Ì, the problem is better dealt with in that specific program.

hmm. coulda swore i already did that. Either way, I hadn't noticed that propers are capitalized by convention. reverting back.

EDIT: 'ìnglìsì is just a loaned noun, apparently. jakesully also seems to be lowercased while Europa and a few others are capitalized. shall I cap both 'Ìnglìsì and Jakesully(JakeSully??)?

'Oma Tirea

Srane rutxe.  Irayo in advance.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tirea Aean

would the congregation prefer "Jakesully" or "JakeSully" ?

Kä'eng

For what it's worth, the DVD subtitles consistently use "Jakesully":
Slä txo tuteo fmi 'ivampi ngat ro seng, fu nìfya'o, a 'eykefu ngati vä', tsakem ke lu sìltsan.

Tirea Aean

I see. I'm not sure who can refute that. Jakesully it shall be then....(unless there's heavy opposition?)

Kemaweyan

Emm.. I think in last picture Tsu'tey says "Tsamsiyu. Txopu rä'ä si, tsamsiyu" (why without "ma"?). I don't remember your translation...
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Kä'eng

Quote from: Kemaweyan on June 22, 2011, 11:48:12 PM
Emm.. I think in last picture Tsu'tey says "Tsamsiyu. Txopu rä'ä si, tsamsiyu" (why without "ma"?). I don't remember your translation...
It's actually from a bit later, when Jake has conquered the ikran and just started flying it. The two random Na'vi on the left are cheering for him; Tsu'tey is about to make them be quiet with an "oìsss!"

Tirea Aean

I saw that the WotD is Srane. and it says it's an adverb?? GASP. How do you use /yes/ as an adverb?

same with Kehe. Are these really adverbs, or just intj. (srane is marked as both, kehe is apparently just an adv and not an intj. )???

Toruk Makto

In English they can be adverb, noun, verb or intj. (I would think kehe would be more likely intj. than srane, frankly).  Question is, in Na'vi are these words limited to a particular usage? This is probably another good example to see how these words are used in other languages.

Tirea Aean

personally, I'm trying very hard to think how to use srane and kehe (yes and no, at least) as an adverb...

I walked yes up to the store.

the hunter was yes hunting.

it seems wacky.

the neighbor look at me no.

the bomb no exploded.

I cant seem to do it. Other than putting yes and no at the beginning, which maybe makes a sentence adverbial which either confirms or refutes the validity of the content of the sentence?

EDIT: as far as I've seen, that's the way it works in na'vi too.

Puvomun

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 29, 2011, 11:24:29 AM
I saw that the WotD is Srane. and it says it's an adverb?? GASP. How do you use /yes/ as an adverb?
It is how I copied it from the Dictionary. Apparently the 'injt.' fell off somehow. I can fix that on the website, but the tweet is now out of my hands, so to speak

Ngopyu ayvurä.