Official Na'vi Dictionary

Started by Tirea Aean, May 23, 2011, 11:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

Quote from: Puvomun on July 02, 2011, 12:41:58 AM
Quote from: Markì on July 01, 2011, 11:55:03 PM
Edited srane, sran and kehe to be part., intj. New revision is 12.24.
Dutch version updated as well.
nìNa'vi nìteng.

omängum fra'uti

I'm not sure why it was put in but some time last year (Early August), the definition of "syaw" was updated from "call" to "call, name".  I take some issue with this, as it in no way means anything like "name".  There is an idiom which means roughly "What is your name", but even that is more literally translated as "In what manner does one call to you".

Frommer has defined it merely as "call", and I found no justification (Other than the implied use in an idiom) for adding to the definition.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on July 07, 2011, 04:25:17 PM
I'm not sure why it was put in but some time last year (Early August), the definition of "syaw" was updated from "call" to "call, name".  I take some issue with this, as it in no way means anything like "name".  There is an idiom which means roughly "What is your name", but even that is more literally translated as "In what manner does one call to you".

Frommer has defined it merely as "call", and I found no justification (Other than the implied use in an idiom) for adding to the definition.

I'll get that when I get back home. unless Markì beats me to it.

Toruk Makto

Definition of syaw corrected. New version is 12.241

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Puvomun

Just noticed that "ultxarun" and "ultxa si" are still marked as "v.".

As those are actions/things you do to/with someone, would they qualify as "vtr."?

Oe ultxarun ngaru - I incidentally meet to you sounds a bit odd. Ultxarun comes partly from run, which is vtr. as well.

Any thoughts?
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Lance R. Casey

Ultxa si is necessarily syntactically intransitive by virtue of being a si-construction, but this particular one marks the thing/person being met with with hu (source). No definitive data on ultxarun (AFAIK), but the run basis certainly implies a transitive verb.

// Lance R. Casey

Plumps

Just curious: where is the source for tung being vtr.?
AFAIK, we've been trying to get a confirmation for this but up until now, no success. Could be that I missed something.  :-\

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on July 08, 2011, 05:39:38 AM
Ultxa si is necessarily syntactically intransitive by virtue of being a si-construction, but this particular one marks the thing/person being met with with hu (source). No definitive data on ultxarun (AFAIK), but the run basis certainly implies a transitive verb.

It certainly seems that ultxarun should be vtr.  ???

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Markì on July 08, 2011, 07:02:16 AM
Quote from: Lance R. Casey on July 08, 2011, 05:39:38 AM

It certainly seems that ultxarun should be vtr.  ???

wait for it.......

Tirea Aean

updated stress on

tìftia

and accordingly on

tìftia kifkeyä

*reminding self to add that to the changelog and change the version when I get back home, unless Markì beats me*

'Oma Tirea

We got a new word confirmed from the panel yesterday: fwefwi.  We also got a new idiom too: fwäkì ke fwefwi.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Kemaweyan

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on July 10, 2011, 08:35:06 PM
We got a new word confirmed from the panel yesterday: fwefwi.  We also got a new idiom too: fwäkì ke fwefwi.

Irayo. But what does that idiom mean?
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kemaweyan on July 10, 2011, 08:48:25 PM
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on July 10, 2011, 08:35:06 PM

Irayo. But what does that idiom mean?

'Oma Tirea

...and my first thoughts: peu? ???

However it has a meaning and moreover it sounds cool ;D

* 'Oma Tirea adds this one to sneyä thread

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Tirea Aean

'Oma Tirea

The one from the 'ÌTXTSTXRR in my sig.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on July 10, 2011, 10:07:26 PM
The one from the 'ÌTXTSTXRR in my sig.

OHH Right. because it's one of those "plltxe alo apxey ko" type of sentences xD

Plumps

Noticed the infix position for fkeytok is given as *fk‹1›eyt‹2›ok while it should be fkeyt‹1›‹2›ok.
From here.

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Plumps on July 11, 2011, 10:19:39 AM
Noticed the infix position for fkeytok is given as *fk‹1›eyt‹2›ok while it should be fkeyt‹1›‹2›ok.
From here.

Hrh ;D I just wrote fkeytayok intuitively, but then I wondered and changed it to fkayeytok...
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Plumps

Quote from: Kemaweyan on July 11, 2011, 10:26:55 AM
Hrh ;D I just wrote fkeytayok intuitively, but then I wondered and changed it to fkayeytok...

And that's a good sign, ma Kem ;) It's precisely because of this example that I was confused ... had to check and found the little error in the dictionary. No problem there :D If anything it helps to make the dictionary better :)