Official Na'vi Dictionary

Started by Tirea Aean, May 23, 2011, 11:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plumps

We need a little correction/addition to the entry of takuk as per this language update

Basically:

QuoteIn Na'vi, though, we CAN use takuk in the broader sense of "beat," "slap," or "strike," [...]

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Plumps on March 21, 2017, 01:34:12 PM
We need a little correction/addition to the entry of takuk as per this language update

Basically:

QuoteIn Na'vi, though, we CAN use takuk in the broader sense of "beat," "slap," or "strike," [...]

Dictionary updated. New version 13.332.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tìtstewan

I have a question, is fmetok vtr. and infix 1,2 in the dictionary?*

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on March 21, 2017, 01:42:44 PM
Currently, according to the app (basically, NaviData.sql) it's just v. With infixes 1,2

via LG-K550 (Tapatalk)

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Tìtstewan on March 21, 2017, 01:42:44 PM

Is now. I rolled that into this update too.

Toruk Makto

New proper names were made public with the announcement of New Zealand actor Cliff Curtis joining the cast. There is a new lead character for the sequels by the name of Tonowari, who is Chief of the Metkayina Clan. The Metkayina are also known as the Reef People Clan.  Apparently there will be some water in the future, but we already knew that, right?   :)

New dictionary version is 13.4 (this deserves a significant version change!).

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Txantsan mllte oe nang  :palulukan:

Fìmawn lu fmawn a tsranten txankrr

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

eejmensenikbenhet

Noticed that the entry for Lì'ona has been reduced to just the letter L...

Toruk Makto

Quote from: eejmensenikbenhet on June 03, 2017, 07:01:19 AM
Noticed that the entry for Lì'ona has been reduced to just the letter L...

Fixed. That was weird...

Plumps

Ma Mark,

did you have a chance to checked these:

Quote from: Plumps on June 02, 2017, 10:29:14 AM
There seem to be new clan names in this article

Tayrangi ~ coastal clan
Olangi ~ direhorse clan of the plains

And a usage of Ikran Makto.

I assume that they are official.

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Plumps on June 05, 2017, 01:24:57 PM
Ma Mark,

did you have a chance to checked these:

Quote from: Plumps on June 02, 2017, 10:29:14 AM
There seem to be new clan names in this article

Tayrangi ~ coastal clan
Olangi ~ direhorse clan of the plains

And a usage of Ikran Makto.

I assume that they are official.

Working on this. Nothing yet.  Stay tuned! :D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I saw both of those as well. But given there is also incorrect Na'vi on this site, things are worth a double check.

What I hope doesn't happen is what has happened with Klingon: Incorrect usage of the language in the movies and other official places has resulted in the language being modified to legalize the incorrect usage (Of course, we already have Toruk Makto, but that turns out to be a title, and this works for that usage. It looks like Ikran Makto and presumably Pa'li Makto and Palulukan Makto might also fall in the same category, except that Toruk Makto is exceptional.). As a result, there are some awkward bits in Klingon.

BTW, I hope you enjoyed being at the grand opening!

In other news, The Na'vi translator gizmo is available online and I have one on order. It will be interesting to see how well it actually works.

Yawey ngahu!

Toruk Makto

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 05, 2017, 03:52:34 PM
BTW, I hope you enjoyed being at the grand opening!

In other news, The Na'vi translator gizmo is available online and I have one on order. It will be interesting to see how well it actually works.

One thing I noticed: When you first trigger it with no card in, Paul's voice tells you how to use the device in a brief description. However, it only does that a few times and thereafter will just give a beep if you activate it with no card.  I was disappointed about that.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I've only heard that description once. I bet if you remove the batteries, wait a few minutes and reinsert them, the description will return. There is also a power switch on the back, which might have the same effect.

I only have the set of cards that came with the translator (which was seriously overpackaged IMHO). (I'll order the others when they are available online.) The cards use colored spots to tell the translator what word to speak. I am going to try and work out the color code, and then prepare cards made from black card stock with the appropriate colors painted on. The reader mechanism appears to be a primitive 3 pixel 'camera' that can sense color. This is a bit unusual for a children's toy.

I was very pleasantly surprised to hear K Pawl pronouncing the words, which means the pronunciations are absolutely canon. This adds a significant air of authenticity to the device, and should help make anyone who has one of these devices a better Na'vi speaker!

Yawey ngahu!

Seze

I've been doing some work on creating a new dictionary database for the mobile apps using the raw EanaEltu data, and I've come across a few items that I thought would be worth sharing with the group, as they might be actual bugs in the dictionary data in EanaEltu.  According to the PDF files, when a source isn't available, LN is used.  The following entries are missing a source, and I was curious if this was intentional or if these just got missed.  The entries are:

idna'vitype
1918keyrelcw
2305fnetxumderives
2370uvan letokxcw
2547fpomronderive
2720Tsun pehem?word

I also noticed that the way the Source is listed varies.  I built a list of all the different Sources that are used, and it looks like we have some duplicates and/or typos in how they are entered.  For example: Is there a difference between JC/PF and PF/JC?  For the work I'm doing, it would be nice to trim these down a bit and standardize how they are formatted, like should there be a space after a comma or not?  I've included the list of all of the unique sources that I've found that are used in the dictionary below:

'ASG',
  'CM',
  'CP',
  'G',
  'JC',
  'JC, PF',
  'JC,PF',
  'JC/PF',
  'LA',
  'LN',
  'LN, PF',
  'LN,PF',
  'Lance',
  'M',
  'PF',
  'PF, CdS',
  'PF, JC',
  'PF, LN',
  'PF, M',
  'PF, Prr',
  'PF, SW',
  'PF, ZS',
  'PF,CdS',
  'PF,JC',
  'PF,LN',
  'PND',
  'Prr',
  'RL',
  'RL, PF',
  'Skxawng',
  'ZS'

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Seze on June 16, 2017, 05:56:39 PM
I've been doing some work on creating a new dictionary database for the mobile apps using the raw EanaEltu data, and I've come across a few items that I thought would be worth sharing with the group, as they might be actual bugs in the dictionary data in EanaEltu.  According to the PDF files, when a source isn't available, LN is used.  The following entries are missing a source, and I was curious if this was intentional or if these just got missed.  The entries are:

I think this thread is for reporting visual errors/typos or missing new words on the final PDF product.  IIRC, deeper database-related questions go on Tuiq's thread here: https://forum.learnnavi.org/projects/eana-eltu-a-na'vi-gtenglish-and-english-gtna'vi-translator-and-dictionary/  (Don't worry about the necro-warning. This info is relevant and useful, just post it there :) )

Thanks for digging into this, Seze! :D

Seze

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 17, 2017, 11:04:46 AM
I think this thread is for reporting visual errors/typos or missing new words on the final PDF product. 

I think that is actually what I'm reporting, as its not an error with the EE system, its a potential error with the data entered into said system.  Some entries seem to be missing a source, and the values that have been entered in for the source being cited are being done differently.  For the latter, I am asking if there is any consensus on the formatting for how we cite a source, and order of the citations if there are more than one.  Is PF/JC logically equivalent to JC/PF? or is there meaning that can be derived based on which comes first? 

Seze

I was chatting with Tirea today, and we discovered a typo in the IPA for LosÄntsyelesì.  It uses textsyllabic{ts}, and Tirea said that that is illegal, and only textsyllabic{l} and textsyllabic{r} are valid in Na'vi.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Seze on June 17, 2017, 01:06:11 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 17, 2017, 11:04:46 AM
I think this thread is for reporting visual errors/typos or missing new words on the final PDF product. 

I think that is actually what I'm reporting, as its not an error with the EE system, its a potential error with the data entered into said system.  Some entries seem to be missing a source, and the values that have been entered in for the source being cited are being done differently.  For the latter, I am asking if there is any consensus on the formatting for how we cite a source, and order of the citations if there are more than one.  Is PF/JC logically equivalent to JC/PF? or is there meaning that can be derived based on which comes first? 

Ah, ngaytxoa, I must have misread your post. :-[

Great question though.  You seem to have found many interesting things in our DB as a result of manual entry. Nice eye ma Seze!
Quote from: Seze on June 17, 2017, 02:05:37 PM
I was chatting with Tirea today, and we discovered a typo in the IPA for LosÄntsyelesì.  It uses textsyllabic{ts}, and Tirea said that that is illegal, and only textsyllabic{l} and textsyllabic{r} are valid in Na'vi.

Can confirm that the only syllabic consonants in Na'vi are ll (\textsyllabic{l}) and rr (\textsyllabic{r}), which are also known as our pseudovowels. :) I'm not sure where \textsyllabic{ts} came from. Maybe it was the wrong word typed out, where it was thought/meant to be the code responsible for rendering the tie bar instead of a syllabic marker.