Official Na'vi Dictionary

Started by Tirea Aean, May 23, 2011, 11:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

It probably doesn't matter much with these words, as it is pretty clear in most cases whether a use is transitive or in transitive. Since any transitive verb can also be used intransitively (where such a use is appropriate), the only place there may be a problem is if a verb that we commonly use transitively is actually explicitly intrasntive. We do have a few words like that, example nume.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

In Eana Eltu, the definition field for txantompa has this:

rainstorm, hea\-vy rain

resulting in this insertion statement in NaviData.sql

INSERT INTO `localizedWords` (`id`,`languageCode`,`localized`,`partOfSpeech`) VALUES ('8160','eng','rainstorm, hearain','n.');

causing the mobile apps (and Fwew) to have the definition of this word say "rainstorm, hearain"

(Also, we're still a post behind ;) )

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 26, 2018, 08:42:01 PM
It appears that these are missing:

mo letrrtrr 'living room'

mo a yom 'dining room'

(sno)mo a hahaw 'bedroom'

http://naviteri.org/2012/10/mipa-vospxi-mipa-ayliu-new-words-for-the-new-month/

EDIT: @Toruk Makto, I did not add these in.

I intentionally left those out for two reasons. One, is that they are more like specific phrases than compounds or derivitives and also, current public knowledge suggests the Na'vi don't differentiate rooms like that. If something becomes officially known in these regards, I'll add them.

And irayo anawm for this update.  -M.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Toruk Makto on September 17, 2018, 08:43:22 PM

mo a yom 'dining room'

I intentionally left those out for two reasons. One, is that they are more like specific phrases than compounds or derivitives and also, current public knowledge suggests the Na'vi don't differentiate rooms like that. If something becomes officially known in these regards, I'll add them.

And irayo anawm for this update.  -M.

Makes sense. I'm down with that.

Is the latest NT post in the works for a new version? :D

Tirea Aean

also a couple new ones

leftxozä = celebratory

Kelnì = Cologne / Köln
Poston = Boston
Nìyu Yorkì = New York

from here:

https://forum.learnnavi.org/language-updates/new-words-leftxoza-(celebratory)-poston-(boston)-kelni-(koln-cologne)/msg659554/#new

Vawmataw

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Mech

My humble opinion is that the words for the rooms should be included in the dictionary for the following reasons:

1. although they are phrasal expressions and not words, a proper english dictionary includes such phrasal expessions like "living room"
2. although they are un-Na'vi, they can be considered calques (like tawsìp) and perhaps they could be included in the lonawords section.
3. they are established by KP. mo letrrtrr is more canon than "mo a trrtrr" or "mo a tìrey" or "mo lerey" or any other informal / random improvisation

Tirea Aean

Vawmataw

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I am going to argue Marki's position on this, for the reasons he stated. Although we have mo a fngä', it is an attested 'word' and therefore is canon. We also have other examples of two or three part words, like eltu tìtxen si. These, too are attested. All of the phrases in the phrase section of the dictionary, AFAIK, are in the canon or corpus. Although I don't doubt for a moment the usefulness of these terms, be they words or phrases, they need to be attested through K. Pawl.

Yawey ngahu!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on September 23, 2018, 06:49:56 PM
Although I don't doubt for a moment the usefulness of these terms, be they words or phrases, they need to be attested through K. Pawl.

They were literally published by K. Pawl on Na'viteri back in 2012.

mo a yom 'dining room'

see: http://naviteri.org/2012/10/mipa-vospxi-mipa-ayliu-new-words-for-the-new-month/

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

So they are canonical. :) Then that begs the question where they should go, because these multi-word terms are themselves a contraction. I am starting to come around to your position now, because these words have a slightly different meaning than their construction suggests, as Pawl points out. This is the kind of stuff that keeps Na'vi interesting!

I have forgotten about many of those words. There are some very useful words there, that should be used more often.

Yawey ngahu!

Tirea Aean

Yes, for sure.

mo a yom and mo a hahaw would suggest, based on what we know about such structures, that they mean "room that eats" and "room that sleeps" but as KP points out, that's not what these mean, and are sort of an exception.

KP notes:

QuoteNote: The last two expressions do not mean 'room that eats' and 'room that sleeps,' although theoretically they could! You can think of mo a yom as shorthand for mo a fko yom tsatseng and so on.

which may not always be immediately obvious for people who haven't read this post :)

Mech

This ambiguousness seems to reflect the english usage, and the calques seem to be based on the english equivalent :) While "living room", "eating room", "sleeping room" could mean "a room that lives, eats, sleeps" in English, the "-ing" is not a participle but a gerund.

A more accurate translation would be "mo a tìyusom" or "mo tìyusomä", "mo a tìhusahaw" etc. :)

Tirea Aean

Ngaru tìyawr. :)

yet we have the shorter forms as Canon ;)

indeed I would have instead expected

mo tìyusomä
mo tìhusahawä
etc

It is what it is :) :ikran:

EDIT: Part of the reason may be that "a" can't attribute just a noun or gerund to a noun; it attributes either a clause (almost always contains at least a verb), or an adposition-noun phrase to the noun

DOUBLE EDIT: We also still seem to be behind on new vocab entries. couple weeks now.  Toruk Makto, if you don't have time, I'm available to assist again :)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 28, 2018, 08:47:38 PM
Quote from: Vawmataw on August 28, 2018, 06:26:57 PM
what is the abbrevation of proper noun?

prop.n. (and in exactly one case, prop. n.)

this has been fixed, they are all the same now. "prop.n."

mo a yom 'dining room'

These still not added in. imo it may be worth it, but still didn't put them in despite them being canon.

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 16, 2018, 09:17:14 PM
In Eana Eltu, the definition field for txantompa has this:

rainstorm, hea\-vy rain

resulting in this insertion statement in NaviData.sql

INSERT INTO `localizedWords` (`id`,`languageCode`,`localized`,`partOfSpeech`) VALUES ('8160','eng','rainstorm, hearain','n.');

causing the mobile apps (and Fwew) to have the definition of this word say "rainstorm, hearain"

(Also, we're still a post behind ;) )

Fixed this.

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 22, 2018, 06:59:46 PM
also a couple new ones

leftxozä = celebratory

Kelnì = Cologne / Köln
Poston = Boston
Nìyu Yorkì = New York

from here:

https://forum.learnnavi.org/language-updates/new-words-leftxoza-(celebratory)-poston-(boston)-kelni-(koln-cologne)/msg659554/#new

Added these.

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 24, 2018, 09:32:02 AM
DOUBLE EDIT: We also still seem to be behind on new vocab entries.

Not anymore. Na'viteri August 31st, as well as above added and/or fixed.

Did not compile, did not update change log.  (this post may serve as a change log when you go to do this, ma Toruk Makto)

Vawmataw

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tirea Aean

I have just finished compiling the dictionary.

Version 13.9

13.9 - Many small fixes; Added all new vocabulary from language-updates forum, naviteri.org August 31, 2018 and October 30, 2018

Mech

I hope you didn't overlook the word Hälowin, did you? :)