The Skype chat

Started by Kyrenka, October 03, 2013, 12:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyrenka

I've had a go joining in with the Skype chat you have but because I'm only online at 6-7pm GMT I can't be added to the chat (It seems it will only add me when the host is online) and because of that It won't let me join (Never on at that time)

Also there should be a "Support" forums on here (Can't really tell if this would be the right place to ask for help in)

Thanks
-Cunno

Kyrenka

Bump
unless it's better PMing one of the staff

Plumps

Hey, ma Kyrenka,

as far as I know, there is no activity anymore in that Skype group. I think it already started to decline by the end of 2010 and was given up for the TeamSpeak server. Otherwise it happened that you weren't on for 2 days and got a backload of messages the day before. For me at least, that was very annoying after a while and I left the group. Plus, I think, Skype allowed only 20-25 people in a group.

Hope that helps.

Kyrenka

Ah I see. no worries then

btw Skype groups hold a max of 300 members at a time as i run my own group :)

Taronyu Leleioae

Hmmm...  You likely have a Premium account then or maybe have VoIP full services.  Regular/free users are limited to 30 in a group voice only call.

All of this may change too, since Microsoft purchased Skype for it's VoIP technology to integrate into its Lync product....  And to be able to justify ending it's MSN Messenger which they didn't make any money off of.  It wouldn't surprise me to see the max users in a call be significantly dropped in the near future as Microsoft looks to really push online voice/video conferencing into its product line.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Worse yet, Micro$oft seems to be ignoring the Linux world, as they often do. There is only a 32 bit Skype app available for Linux, and it does not install 'nicely' on newer systems.

There are alternatives to Skype, several of them open source. Perhaps we should look at some of them, and adopt one in place of Skype.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Taronyu Leleioae

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on October 09, 2013, 03:34:44 PM
Worse yet, Micro$oft seems to be ignoring the Linux world, as they often do. There is only a 32 bit Skype app available for Linux, and it does not install 'nicely' on newer systems.

There are alternatives to Skype, several of them open source. Perhaps we should look at some of them, and adopt one in place of Skype.

Actually...., I wouldn't be surprised if you see a bit more support in the near future.  Skype has worked hard to support the Android app version.  And just recently, Microsoft now fully supports certain versions of Linux (Redhat, CentOS) to run as VM's on their Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V release.  So virtual servers can be fully supported within Microsoft.

Unfortunately for other text msgr users, Skype is so proprietary, that source code is unavailable and is illegal to reverse engineer.  Thus awesome alternatives like Pidgin will not support Skype messaging.  So unfortunately in one move, Microsoft unloaded MSN (which was free), and they also unloaded all the alternative free messaging apps out there at the same time.  So if Skype continues to be used, you unfortunately are stuck with Skype's own client/app.  So one can hope they will support Linux based systems, because nothing else will be able to interface with Skype.   :-\  

Kyrenka

OK this is going a bit off topic :P anyway I better close this

Thanks for the replies my blue buddies