unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems

Started by Torture Killer, February 08, 2010, 01:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torture Killer

this site seems to crash or whatever, really often and its really annoying.  >:(

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Apache Server at forum.learnnavi.org Port 80
hmm, cant think of anything to put in na'vi here :/

'Itan Atxur

I get this CONSTANTLY. Doesn't last long, but is still really annoying.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Hikyuuri

Just hit refresh until it loads the page.

There are so many people surfing the forums right now, its overloading the server.  As far as I am aware, they are trying to get a better server online, but its taking time.  For now, the only thing you can do is to hit refresh whenever that screen comes up.  After 2 or 3 refreshes, the site should appear normally.

Official LearnNavi.org TeamSpeak 3 Server Online
TeamSpeak 3 Server Address: ts.learnnavi.org:9987
Instructions can be found HERE!

'Itan Atxur

Coyote

Yeah, I'm another that is getting that over and over again. It happened last time --about a month and a half or so ago-- and required a new server that could handle the workload. We're just too popular for our own good!  ;)

I tend to hit "Back", then mousewheel up or down a little bit, then re-click quickly a couple times and that usually does it okay.

Also, if you're at the bottom-right of the page and you use the "go to" key next to the "forum jump" menu, it seems to hang up a lot. I go to the top of the page and hit "Na'vi Community" or "Home" and it rarely hangs up. But that's been my experience; individual results may vary...

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Kayrìlien

Quote from: Hikyuuri on February 08, 2010, 01:50:05 PM
Just hit refresh until it loads the page.

This has never not worked for me, and only rarely does it require more than one Refresh. Then again, it might just be that I'm accessing the site at less-than-peak hours. But yes, it just has to do with the number of users on the site at any one time. Hooray for being successful, I guess!

Kayrìlien

Technowraith

Our internet hometree gets quite crowded sometimes. It comes down to simple server capacity and bandwidth. I asked a mod about this before and they said when the site can, they will be looking into a larger server with higher bandwidth. Obviously as we grow, we'll be running into growing pains. With a larger server comes higher costs. So keep that in mind. Donations aren't required to use the site, but they help defray operating costs for the site.  :)
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

'Itan Atxur

I SO want to donate. But I'd first need somebody to donate to me so I could donate to the site  :(

Nume fpi sänume

Quote from: Technowraith on February 08, 2010, 04:10:00 PM
Our internet hometree gets quite crowded sometimes. It comes down to simple server capacity and bandwidth. I asked a mod about this before and they said when the site can, they will be looking into a larger server with higher bandwidth. Obviously as we grow, we'll be running into growing pains. With a larger server comes higher costs. So keep that in mind. Donations aren't required to use the site, but they help defray operating costs for the site.  :)

Yes, this is exactly our problem. In the past, we have already completely over loaded our server twice, as in no one can access it. As it stands, we skim along the surface of our bandwidth allocation almost constantly. Buying stuff from the learnnavi store helps us towards getting a better server, and making sure you host images off site cuts down on bandwidth usage. Were doing everything we can to try and make things better, but all of us (mods/admins) have lives, and a majority of us have full time jobs, so were pulling a balancing act with it all. Hopefully soon we will have these issues resolved.

Torture Killer

Toruk Makto

If you are behind a caching proxy that is idiotically configured to cache error pages (like my connection at work), you need an uncached refresh. With Firefox, that is CTL-F5.  With MS Internet Exploder it is just F5 I think.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Technowraith

Quote from: Txepäsiyu on February 09, 2010, 07:04:58 AM
If you are behind a caching proxy that is idiotically configured to cache error pages (like my connection at work), you need SN uncached refresh. With Firefox, that is CTL-F5.  With MS Internet Exploder it is just F5 I think.

Explorer is CTL + F5 as well.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Toruk Makto

'Itan Atxur

What does that actually do though? I STILL have to refresh a million times  :(

Toruk Makto

Well, if you aren't behind a web proxy configured by wild prolemurs, probably not much.  It's a rather limited application thing. I guess that's why they threw the CTL bit in...

Technowraith

Quote from: Itan Atxur on February 09, 2010, 04:14:44 PM
What does that actually do though? I STILL have to refresh a million times  :(

A hard refresh is a refresh that's taken directly from the web server itself. It's the latest version of the web content that you're pulling from the web server. A hard refresh is CTRL + F5.

A regular refresh is actually the browser re-loading the cached version of the web content you are viewing. Your browser will temporarily store copies of the current web content you're viewing. When you refresh, you reload the cached version from your computer, and not from the web server (though the browser connects with the web server to sync). This is called a soft refresh - you hit the refresh button or simply press F5. (At least in firefox and internet explorer)

Hopefully that makes sense.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

'Itan Atxur

Thanks for clearing that up. I did understand that. Unfortunately neither refresh seems to help the problem. It really isn't a big deal though. Just so long as the site never actually goes down.  :D

Technowraith

Quote from: Itan Atxur on February 10, 2010, 12:07:35 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I did understand that. Unfortunately neither refresh seems to help the problem. It really isn't a big deal though. Just so long as the site never actually goes down.  :D

Network traffic and congestion play a large role in the quality of surfing. In some cases, your physical distance from the server plays a role too. If there's high traffic on your service providers network, you run the risk of losing data to and from your computer and the web server. Which may result in errors which could lead to the issues you're having. Unless you have the dumb luck of always loading at the same exact moment everyone else does at the moment, you really shouldn't have any real issues. I chock most of my glitches here to a crowded internet hometree. And as i see it, "planting a bigger hometree" is the only real solution that will solve the problem in the end.

**Tosses a few hometree seeds into the ground along with some Miracle grow.**  :D

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Torture Killer

so the faster ur internet is, the less or smaller chance u have getting it?

Technowraith

Quote from: Torture-Killer on February 12, 2010, 08:44:44 AM
so the faster ur internet is, the less or smaller chance u have getting it?

not necessarily. if there are too many connections to the server, it can't handle all the requests for data. it comes down to how many people are connected at a given time. And the server's ability to handle the requests for data from each connection. The speed of your internet factors in some, but it's not nearly the entire picture in this case. A larger, higher capacity server generally fixes the issue in the long run.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm