Unable to write PM to a member

Started by Plumps, February 07, 2013, 04:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 21, 2013, 09:06:36 AM
I just want to ask carefully about the actual situation with this partially br0ken PM system? :-\
I'm interested in answer too, as I think I've sent some messages and got no reply (to active users). No error was reported, username was entered directly, not using search dialog
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Blue Elf on August 21, 2013, 02:23:42 PM
Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 21, 2013, 09:06:36 AM
I just want to ask carefully about the actual situation with this partially br0ken PM system? :-\
I'm interested in answer too, as I think I've sent some messages and got no reply (to active users). No error was reported, username was entered directly, not using search dialog

Quote from: Toruk Makto on August 21, 2013, 11:11:06 AM
It is exactly as I described in the second post on this thread.  There has been nothing from the SMF developers on it.

Markì
Quote from: Toruk Makto on February 07, 2013, 04:41:25 PM
The latest security patch for SMF seems to have broken the sql query for PM "display name" checks. The workaround is to click on the "Find Members" link next to the "To:" field and do a wildcard search for the member (for example, to find "tsu'tey", do a search for tsu*tey and then select the member from the results). This will place the member's login ID into the To: field which should work.

Markì

EDIT: I have a question into the SMF crowd on this. Will see if a permanent fix is available.

And +1 ma Tìtstewan for that epic tutorial on how to work around this problem!

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 21, 2013, 02:19:03 PM
Absoulely amazing. I think for now we could even sticky a thread somewhere with this tutorial put as OP. "How to PM someone with apostrophe in name" or something?
Your wish is an order sir. :P :P *writting*

Fìtsenge

Edit: I locked that topic...no discussion is needed there, I think.

Edit²: How work that system with names with a space (My_Name) ?

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 21, 2013, 11:10:33 PM
Absoulely amazing. I think for now we could even sticky a thread somewhere with this tutorial put as OP. "How to PM someone with apostrophe in name" or something?

Fìtsenge

NICE. ;D

Edit²: How work that system with names with a space (My_Name) ?

you mean like mine? ;D :-[

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 22, 2013, 09:31:18 AM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 22, 2013, 09:25:32 AM
you mean like mine? ;D :-[
:-[ Damn! I mean, of course, letters like {},[],()... :)

hmmm. I don't know anyone who has {}[](). Are they even allowed when creating an account?

Tìtstewan

Yes: Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan), Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)...

Fìtsenge

NICE. ;D
Set it sticky?

Taronyu Leleioae

I know that Palulukan Makto had this problem up until a week ago as his original name had "Ta'leng..." as part of it.  The ' was causing a major problem, and the forum wouldn't recognize.  He finally changed his screen name over, and the problem went away.  If one clicks "reply" to his PM's, the message is sent properly without error.  Maybe a warning or block for new account registrations could be inserted to warn or prevent individuals from registering accounts with these symbols, at least for the time being.

There was also a security update released last week (2.0.5).  Markì may have applied it.  If not, worth looking into to see what it changes and if it's appropriate for the forum software to be modified with.

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tirea Aean

what would happen if we try to upgrade to 2.0.x ? Probably bad horrible things, right?

Taronyu Leleioae

ninja'd.

Besides having to take the forum offline and doing full backups three times over...  Would there be an operational benefit to doing such a comprehensive upgrade?  Obviously the site would be down, testing, and likely figuring out a new admin control panel...

Maybe the new base code handles user accounts differently?

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 22, 2013, 10:25:51 AM
what would happen if we try to upgrade to 2.0.x ? Probably bad horrible things, right?
It's not so bad (I did that with my own forum) but this forum has to much costumized stuff like the Na'vi of the week, the LEP, Na'viteri Bot etc, etc...

Toruk Makto

With the mods and code I have written for various things, it would be a train wreck of the first magnitude.

EDIT:  I took a little time to go through this in depth and here is what I have found. Because of the way php handles apostrophes, there was a vulnerability that would allow a sql injection attack the way the SMF code was originally written in the PersonalMessages.php source. I have tried a few ways to try to hack a sql ' real_escape_string workaround, but this would end up requiring rewriting a bunch of other stuff because of the rather asinine method of dependencies in SMF.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the bottom line is that there really is no easy fix for this other than the workaround Tìtstewan has so ably detailed, or take the apostrophe out of your screen name.   :(

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Toruk Makto on August 22, 2013, 10:34:14 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the bottom line is that there really is no easy fix for this other than the workaround Tìtstewan has so ably detailed, or take the apostrophe out of your screen name.   :(
:( ...keftxo nì'aw.

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 22, 2013, 09:42:36 AM
Yes: Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan), Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)...

Fìtsenge

NICE. ;D
Set it sticky?

Done.

Tìtstewan

Oe ngaru irayo seiyi nìtxan, ma Toruk Makto!

archaic

Just trying to thank someone for giving me a good Karma, but it says there no such person when I go to send it.
:o :-\
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Tìtstewan

Do you have read this:
http://forum.learnnavi.org/website-info/how-to-pm-someone-with-apostrophe-in-name/
There is extra a tutorial for that, especially for members who want to PM an other member with an apostrophe in their name.

archaic

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Tìtstewan

Has the tutorial help you?

Maybe a mod could merge this topic with this topic: Unable to write PM to a member. One topic with the same problem should be enough.