What On Earth is This?

Started by Yayo, October 09, 2011, 05:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yayo

I was chilling on the forum, as you do, when I came across Has it happened to anyone else? It appears that Java and some other encoding temporarily failed but anyway.

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Toruk Makto

Looks like part of the page failed to load on your browser causing it to render incorrectly.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Kamean

QuoteHas it happened to anyone else?
With me - not.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Swoka Ikran

Never seen anything like it here...

It was probably just data getting lost in transit, although I'm surprised the browser showed anything. Usually you end up with a blank page or a formatting issue from CSS problems.

Either way, if refreshing fixed it, I wouldn't worry about it.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Äteya

Payoang

I've had that happen with Internet Explorer. I suggest using a real browser, like Chrome or Firefox. Cheers :)

Yayo

I was on my Mum's computer at the time. I myself use FireFox.

Yayo on facebook

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Payoang on October 09, 2011, 06:58:41 PM
I've had that happen with Internet Explorer. I suggest using a real browser, like Chrome or Firefox. Cheers :)

Been using Internet Explorer and this has never happened to me.

BTW, ma Payoang, can you explain why the main site appears different on other browsers??

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Yayo

Yayo on facebook

Ftiafpi

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on October 10, 2011, 09:46:03 PM

BTW, ma Payoang, can you explain why the main site appears different on other browsers??

All browsers display pages slightly differently. Some highly engineered websites will look the same because they have a team of developers to make them appear as such. I imagine we do not and thus you'll see things slightly differently between the browsers. Functionality shouldn't be affected, though.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Ftiafpi on October 11, 2011, 09:36:52 PM
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on October 10, 2011, 09:46:03 PM

All browsers display pages slightly differently. Some highly engineered websites will look the same because they have a team of developers to make them appear as such. I imagine we do not and thus you'll see things slightly differently between the browsers. Functionality shouldn't be affected, though.

Functionality is fine (the Na'vi numbers section, which used to fail in IE, should work on all browsers now), but the appearance is off as shown in the comparison screenshot below, and it's not too minor either.  I suspect the issue lies in the CSS file(s).

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Yayo

Apart from the roundness of the tabs, I don't notice any differences...  :-\

Yayo on facebook

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Yayo on October 13, 2011, 02:35:42 AM
Apart from the roundness of the tabs, I don't notice any differences...  :-\
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on October 12, 2011, 11:13:11 PM
I suspect the issue lies in the CSS file(s).
It does. He used border-radius, a feature that IE does not support. The "Na'vi Dictionary" bar is also not rounded for the same reason.

In http://www.learnnavi.org/assets/style.css, some of the offending lines:
-moz-border-radius:10px 10px 0 0;
-webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px;
-webkit-border-top-left-radius:10px;

And there's a lack of shadow on the "Na'vi Documents/Images" text in IE. It appears that's caused by using the text-shadow attribute to implement it.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Ftiafpi

Sort answer: Firefox is better. ;)

Lance R. Casey

A more direct answer is that the site uses standards-violating, browser-specific code, which is in my opinion simply bad web practice. Eywa knows that the list of offenders is extensive to say the least, though.

// Lance R. Casey

Yayo

Okay, since the problem has been resolved and to try to prevent something else from happening, I've locked the topic.

Thank you all for your help!

Yayo on facebook

Payoang

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on October 14, 2011, 05:41:33 AM
A more direct answer is that the site uses standards-violating, browser-specific code, which is in my opinion simply bad web practice. Eywa knows that the list of offenders is extensive to say the least, though.

Replying because I can: You're absolutely right. The current version of the website is a patchwork of overridden styles and code that were never meant to exist. Website 2.0 is already in the works :)