where are all the new members

Started by 'eylan na'viyä, February 28, 2010, 01:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'eylan na'viyä

i have noticed that within the last 3 days only less than the half of the usual number of members are joining this forum. i just wonder what caused this. any ideas ?

my guess: guests dont need to create accounts to download things anymore. (stupidly that came from my suggestion)
but i still think that this could not explain the big difference

Brainiac

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on February 28, 2010, 01:52:12 PM
i have noticed that within the last 3 days only less than the half of the usual number of members are joining this forum. i just wonder what caused this. any ideas ?

my guess: guests dont need to create accounts to download things anymore. (stupidly that came from my suggestion)
but i still think that this could not explain the big difference
Maybe it does?
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

'eylan na'viyä

it wouldnt be a big loss if these all are only 0post members. but most people rather create a first post when they allready have an account. personally i dislike the idea to force visitors to do something but maybe something should be changed.

zakovirka

Maybe they r sitting in Skype conference or IRC that supporting by learnnavi.org.Who knows?But clean up of stuff on forum would be positive.

Toruk Makto

For me, I value quality over quantity.  I would rather see a lower number if they are actively participating members than a higher number that are mostly people that create an account and are never heard from again.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

'eylan na'viyä

Quote from: Txepsiyu on March 01, 2010, 10:49:04 AM
For me, I value quality over quantity.  I would rather see a lower number if they are actively participating members than a higher number that are mostly people that create an account and are never heard from again.

i agree with that. hopefully its true that only those dont join.
were there any other changes at that time? since when do we have this "Kaltxì, Guest! Why don't you join our community?" ? maybe its a bit obtrusive although i dont think so?

Étienne

Quote from: Txepsiyu on March 01, 2010, 10:49:04 AM

Payoang

General site visits have dropped in the last week. The primary source was still Facebook/twitter -- mostly from Fox's mention (from way back when). Perhaps we dropped off the first page, and fewer folks have (re)discovered LN. That wouldn't really explain the drop in member interaction.. hm.

Perhaps I should look into a Daily Attendance mod for the forum. Start giving out tardies and filing absences....

Étienne

Quote from: Seabass on March 02, 2010, 05:18:49 AM
General site visits have dropped in the last week. The primary source was still Facebook/twitter -- mostly from Fox's mention (from way back when). Perhaps we dropped off the first page, and fewer folks have (re)discovered LN. That wouldn't really explain the drop in member interaction.. hm.

Perhaps I should look into a Daily Attendance mod for the forum. Start giving out tardies and filing absences....

You know that would be amazingly awesome.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

chances are we'll have a spike after the whole Good Morning America thing.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

TorukMakto!

Perhaps,
But also when the movie was still "new and fresh" there were a bigger waves of joiner, it's logical that the number wil start to decrease. When the next movie comes up, there will be robably another big wave.

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on March 02, 2010, 07:18:12 AM
chances are we'll have a spike after the whole Good Morning America thing.
Yes, this can def affect the numbers again.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

I will try to bring us new members with the podcast. And with the secret project that hopefully will finally be revealed today (stupid US Mail is sooo slow)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

archaic

We are the founders.
As the movie slips out of theaters, interest will decline, new memberships will tail off, some existing members will drift away.
The release of the DVD & Blur Ray will bring in a few more.
Those who stay will be the hard core, the next big wave is not likely until Avatar2 is released.

Edit:- Spelling.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Kxawm

Quote from: archaic on March 05, 2010, 05:17:15 PM
We are the founders.
As the movie slips out of theaters, interest will decline, new memberships will tail off, some existing members will drift away.
The release of the DVD & Blur Ray will bring in a few more.
Those who stay will be the hard core, the next big wave is not likely until Avatar2 is released.

I agree. No reason to panic. The growth of Na'vi is absolutely phenomenal given its brief existence. If memory serves, it even took Klingon some time to really take off. Slower growth in the Na'vi language community may be more desirable in the long run. Just look at Esperanto. It's growing at a snail's pace, but it's been a thriving language community for 123 years and not about to go away. So we should all relax, use the language and enjoy the ride. Na'vi is in good hands.

About less visible members:
I'm one, too. I don't post much simply because I don't have much to contribute. But I read the forums a lot, buy stuff and even donate once in a while. Many other forum members may be in the same boat. Again, no reason to panic. I'd rather have a lean, interesting forum than one bloated with unnecessary and boring posts.

Unilfwewyu

Hmmm, perhaps these increase in # of guests are perhaps members who are too lazy to log in? I know I do it sometimes just to get the newest version of the Na'vi dictionary. Anyways, the decrease does not seem too bad at the moment, considering the most people online is 200-ish and that about 1/3 of the number of members are the ones with only 0-2 posts.

As Kawng said, it's nothing to be worried about, this language will live on ;)
Oel ngati kameie.

I live in a world where dreams are controlled by others, not by yourself. I live in a world where people choose what you become, and you have no choice whatsoever. This will change. My dreams will become reality. And that, my friends, is a promise.

Ikabob

It could be a series of anything written above, maybe a burnout or something.  You never really know who is thinkin or doin what, but I have faith things will stay steady and then get back on the rise soon enough :)  Heck life can keep you from things sometimes, unfortunately.  I hope people think the same cause I dont wanna be a loner lol
When college takes up all your time... What can you really do?

Skype: Ikabob13         PSN: TR4NZ-N1GH7M4R3        Steam: N1GH7M4R3

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

We have observed an activity level that seems to follow the next movie release in the Narnia world. Things there are very quiet right now because there is a big gap between the previous movie release 9Prince Caspian, 2008, plus a lot of folks did not like it) and the next (Voyage of the Dawn treader, December 2010. BTW, it should be this December's 'Avatar'!)

No one can ever say what is going to happen in their lives, but I figure there is a six month commitment to learn the language well enough that it will be a part of me. After that, there will have to be some daily activity to keep it fresh, but I won't have to be here every chance I get like right now.

But as Archaic said, we are the founders. We have something here that we have participated in, contributed to, etc. And this process will continue for some time to come. In the end, there will be a little of all of us in what will eventually become the 'canon' Na`vi language.

I do expect to see a fairly sharp spike of new members next month, when the DVD comes out. Although Avatar was a monster hit in the theaters, DVD releases these days are often even larger. And unlike the film, people can watch the DVD over and over again, wonder what those interesting words are, and see K. Pawl's name in the credits. By then, all the learning work that has been done, the tools that have been created, and all the enthusiasm that we have shared so far can be shared with a new group. Long-term, if even 1 in 10 stick with this, the Na`vi language will go down as one of the most successful conlangs ever.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tsufätu Ayioangä

Well, liek what happened with the great depression (I'm learning about it in history and just made the connection), all the people who care have already joined.  Because the movie isn't out yet and no one new is seeing it, new people aren't comming to the site.

Hikyuuri

Not only that, but I am sure a good chunk of the people here are people in school or college, and right now (atleast in the US) is a busy time for some people with finals and stuff comming up.

I see a good amount of people rejoining/joining when the movie comes out, but I also see another spike when summer comes around and people don't have to worry about school or college.

Official LearnNavi.org TeamSpeak 3 Server Online
TeamSpeak 3 Server Address: ts.learnnavi.org:9987
Instructions can be found HERE!

Tzmukan III

I will make sure that it lives on (i tell all my friends about this site). When the DVD comes out (earth day) I will be the first in line and I'm also sure that it will trigger a new wave of members. :P